flea medicine advice?!

jadesmomma

Sep 30, 2011
Grays Harbor County, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Jade
Hey all... my baby Jade is six months old and I started to see her itching I found two adult fleas! I also was checking through her fur and found the "flea dirt/flea feces":nope: Now my question is what I need to use on her as in flea meds or shampoos that are going to be safe for her! I have heard frontline plus is good on bulldogs but I wanted to check with everyone here first! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
we use the pet armor plus from walmart. it's the same meds as frontline but cheaper. but we use it as a preventative against getting them, not as a treatment for an infestation.

OP
J

jadesmomma

Sep 30, 2011
Grays Harbor County, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Jade
[MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION]... thank you 'I'm headed to walmart... maybe i can start using that so it doesnt get worse! I'm hoping there were only two fleas but how sneaky they are theres probably more ughhh.... i have i doberman pup the same age so just hoping we can maintain the fleas before it gets out of control!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have put one dose of revolution on Jake and I just don't want to use that poison anymore. It's such a hard thing! I did just discover something that works to kill live fleas! My daughter rescued a teeny kitten and it was just covered in huge fleas! :barf:.. You wet them..soak really..than lather with Dawn dish soap! Let it sit as long as you can..then rinse..we actually lathered this poor kitten two times..the water was actually bloody...there were so many bites! The great thing is it KILLS the fleas..now you have to repeat every 5 or 6 days to catch the life cycle..just a bit of interesting info..that works! Now..my question is..they use Dawn to clean oil off wildlife caught in oil spills..and now it kills fleas..should we really wash our dishes in it? ..:eek:

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i'm not sure what it's called but when i bought my first house i wasn't aware that it was infested with fleas until i started working in it...by then i had already brought them home and my cats had them...the vet gave me a pill...one dose kills ALL fleas on the pet...u then give them the monthly treatment...now don't forget u have to treat ur house also...most likely they brought them into the house

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Once you've got rid of the fleas. A garlic capsule per day gives a natural deterrent.

So, true.... we feed raw that has garlic added to it. ever since then... no more flea/tick crap on our bullies

Last edited:

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
The garlic okay for them to eat? I read somewhere that it damages their red blood cells and causes anemia.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I use frontline on Sarah. I also spray the yard and no fleas. If they have fleas frontline spray will kill them now. I have fed garlic pills to my dogs before. I have heard it can be bad then I've heard its not dunno but never seemed to bother them.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I used to use shampoo to manage fleas. I started using BioSpot, as suggested to me by my PetPros gal. We had an infestation, courtesy of Grandma's cat, Zuska, and I had to pull out the big guns to protect them. So far, so good.

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
This is an older post but I thought I'd share my recent experience with flea infestation. Lola and our cat, Fuzz, were infested. I tried home remedies, hollistic-type suggestions, bombed our house twice, flea combs, shaved the cat, baths, frontline, and the only thing that worked was Advantage.

the difference between Frontline and Advantage as I understand it, is that Advantage is for fleas only, while Frontline targets fleas and ticks. It was hell. the daily laundry, the daily vacuuming, the constant feeling of things crawling on me....Never dealt with fleas before this. But if I ever have to, at least I found something that works.

this sounds like a commercial :bully:

Bully Ma

Oct 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
Lamb Chop
I honestly would not reccomend using anything from walmart or other places like that. I would use frontline. It does not go into her system like other products. The stuff at walmart is not really tested or regulated. I have seen some pretty bad reactions to a lot of the cheaper stuff. You should wash her with some Dawn dish soap and make sure it is Dawn! not another type of dish soap. Then wait the 24 or 48 housr as recomended by the frontline labeling then put it on her. Also if they are on her they are most likely on anyother cat or dog in the house so they should be treated. You should also vaccume, vaccume and do more vaccuming! Even the couches and whatever else she has been one. Also I would use the frontline for atleast another month or 2 after the first use to kill the entire life cycle of the fleas!
Hope whatever you use works! Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the difference between Frontline and Advantage as I understand it, is that Advantage is for fleas only, while Frontline targets fleas and ticks. It was hell. the daily laundry, the daily vacuuming, the constant feeling of things crawling on me....Never dealt with fleas before this. But if I ever have to, at least I found something that works.

I could be wrong, but Frontline only works if the flea/tick bite the pet; it does not repel or kill which is why you can use it on dogs if you have cats. K9 Advantix repels and kills ticks/fleas and prevents/kills the flea eggs, but you can NOT use this on dogs if you have cats in the home.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
some dogs can take pesticides some cant,i know mine had a terrible reaction to frontline so i have been adding 1 clove of fresh garlic with breakfast so far so good,and no garlic breath or garlic farts lol,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.