Pneumonia

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Hi Everyone,

Poor Sumo. She was diagnosed with pneumonia last week. Luckily i caught it very fast and she didnt have to stay at the vet overnight. I was just given an antibiotic (Clavaseptin) to take home with. Now she has been on the antibiotic for a week.

My question is about her getting outside and being with other dogs. Is pneumonia contageous? I've kept Sumo isolated from other dogs for the passed week and only taken her on small short walks. I know she wants to get back to the park but i want to make sure its safe for other dogs before i get her out there.

Does anyone have an idea about this?
Please let me know when you can.

Thanks!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is not contagious, but I would give it an other week or check with your vet before I would take her to the park with other dogs. Let her immune system get built back up. So glad you caught it early and she did not have to stay at the vets. hope she gets better soon.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
It is not contagious, but I would give it an other week or check with your vet before I would take her to the park with other dogs. Let her immune system get built back up. So glad you caught it early and she did not have to stay at the vets. hope she gets better soon.

I agree completely and I too am glad you caught it early!! she is a cutie!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It's not what Sumo has that you need to worry about - it's what the hundreds of other dogs have that could hurt Sumo in her compromised condition. Wait on the doggie parks. They'll be there when she's all better. Ever so grateful that she's on the mend.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
DOn't know if your vet would mention this but antibiotics kill bugs,,, bad as well as good immune helping bugs. Whenever you are DONE giving antibiotics the good bugs need to be built back up. Yogurt, added to her food acts as a probiotic, meaning it helps build immune helping bugs.
We give Princess Gracie a tablespoon of yogurt mixed into her breakfast every day.

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
DOn't know if your vet would mention this but antibiotics kill bugs,,, bad as well as good immune helping bugs. Whenever you are DONE giving antibiotics the good bugs need to be built back up. Yogurt, added to her food acts as a probiotic, meaning it helps build immune helping bugs.
We give Princess Gracie a tablespoon of yogurt mixed into her breakfast every day.
You are completly right over the antibiotics and the yogurt my friend is a vet and told me this a while ago, good to pass this information on

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Here too. They think it's "ice cream". Why? Because I told them it was ice cream of course.

OP
SUMOPUP

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your replies. Sumo is feeling better, and looking better too! She's been on antibiotics for 2 weeks, and my vet has told me to keep her on them for another 2 weeks. A lot of you mentioned the yoghurt trick. You give them yoghurt at every meal? What kind? Plain? Let me know, i definitely want to keep her immune system up.

Furthermore, I took her in to see the vet to get more chest xrays done (they wanted to make sure that they were looking better). They think that there may be some scarring from a previous infection. Does anyone have any experience withthis? Is this going to cause problems in the future for her? I'm afraid that if she has scarring she will be more susceptible to diseases.

If anyone has anything to say about these things i would love to hear them!

Thanks so much :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Its good to here that Sumo is feeling better. You have been using Dannon Plain Yogurt but prefer Plain Greek Yogurt which is supposed to be better. Our neighborhood store doesn't carry it so we don't always get the Greek kind.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.