Nail quick

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Hi, my boo just got an incident just before... I usually let the people who works grooming in the petshop cut my booboo's nail.. Well, my neighbour, who loves dogs, keeps telling me how easy it is to cut it yourself.. Next thing i know, she went to get her nail clipper (not pet nail clipper) and try to cut boo's. The first attempt she made, boo's screaming hell, and his nail is bleeding..
Im freakin out and rushed to get betadine on it and get him out of there.

He's fine now, but i was wondering whether it would cause trauma for him? It gotta be harder to chase down an adult bulldog who had a trauma for nail clippers.. Is there something i can do to prevent it?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use a dremmel so that won't happen, but half of my bullies hate it. Also dip the nail in flour or cornstarch, or a bar of soap to stop the bleeding. Hope your baby forgives you! (they always do)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Cornstarch is your friend when it comes to stopping the bleeding on the quick.

Yes, this can very well cause trauma - my bichon frise screams his head off if you use the nail clippers on him. He had a few nail clipping incidences at the salon when he was a puppy. I now just use the pedicure (dremmel) on him and he's fine with it. The thing is to praise and praise and praise and reward the dog all throughout a nail session and he'll more than likely start to associate good things with a nail clipping to overcome the bad. But, if your dog ends up like my bichon, you can try the dremmel-type ones and hopefully he'll take to that better.

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
I'm so mad at my neighbour.. I can't show it since she didnt mean for it too happen.. But i've been very carefull with boo's nail, i even follow the guy in the petshop to make sure he's not hurting my boo... T__T

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've tried to do it myself and it was always tears and trauma. There's a wonderful shop nearby that does them and no appt. needed. I just swing by and they drop everything and cut their nails. Both dogs love to go in there too which is weird. ha ha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online