Water in regards to crate training

Charles Yin

Oct 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
TBD
I understand that a puppy should have access to water. My question is in regards to how frequently and whether or not you leave water in a crate while crate training a puppy. It seems to me as though leaving water in a crate might be counter productive. Is it feasible to not leave water in the crate if you are providing water to the puppy every 2-3 hours? Any opinions?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Charles! Nope... I wouldn't leave water in crate! You are right..very counterproductive..after they are totally housebroken..some people use the bottles that attach to sides of crate..like for rabbits etc. You have to control what goes in..to catch what comes out!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome to EBN. We have always let our puppies have access to water 24/7, but we have also always had a pet door and an older dog to show the pup how to use it!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we dont' keep water in the crate, but she drinks a ton in the morning and a ton before her last trip outside. when she's older we're going to give her a rabbit bottle on the side :) she's only 6 months

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I kept just a bit of water in Wilson's crate during the day when I was at work just so he'd have a bit. He rarely had an accident to our surprise. He potty trained pretty fast and held his bladder pretty long to our surprise when he was training. He's 9 months now and it's a very rare occasion that he has a mishap but that's due to us not getting him out long enough before we leave for work. Yes it's counter productive but my experience is that a little bit didn't affect Wilson in the beginning.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We NEVER withhold water from our pups or adult bullies, even when crate training we will put water in the crate. They have access to water 24/7 and they do fine. As far as the doggie door, down here in Texas it is way too hot and not a good idea for a doggie door and bullies. Have heard of too many horror stories of them going out to sun and not coming back in and dying of heat stroke. Good luck with the crate training, be patient, they will get it eventually.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We crate trained all of our dogs and did not have a water bottle or bowl in them. They all trained quickly and luckily between myself, the hubby and the kids the time between them being locked in there was not too long.

OP
C

Charles Yin

Oct 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
TBD
Thanks all. Really appreciate the input. This is one topic that is really a mixed bag on a lot of on-line resources. In the past with other breeds I have not put water in crates. (French Bulldogs mostly). I didn't know if a bully baby might have different needs as they are so different in so many ways. Really appreciate how friendly and supportive everyone has been on EBN.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
when house breaking i never left water down after 6pm ,of course free water all day but just as we toilet train our kids to be dry at night stopping water after 6pm always helped,karen

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
If i leave my boo with access to his water bowl, he'll put his paw in and start diggin it and makin a mess.. One time he tried to put his tummy inside the bowl..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318919032.046395.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318919032.046395.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 119

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
when house breaking i never left water down after 6pm ,of course free water all day but just as we toilet train our kids to be dry at night stopping water after 6pm always helped,karen

[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]: Bingo! You are spot on. Bea has the cast iron bladder of a rock star - she was virtually accident free regardless of water consumption. Bo is a different story. His water had to be monitored closely or there'd be a wet crate in the morning.

While I was at work, however, there was free access to water but in a restricted space (dining room and kitchen only) and potty pads at the far end of the room. I couldn't leave a bully without water all day and live with myself.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
He's still a baby though [MENTION=3411]loonatic8[/MENTION] - he'll grow out of that. Besides, water outside is FOR PLAYING! Water inside is for drinking!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
it does them no harm to go without water through the night ,once house trained then free reign on the water,its the only way to break peeing through the night ,bulldogs are hard work enough without floors swimming with pee lol,karen

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We always keep water down for our pups and adult dogs 24/7 I do not recommend restricting water, nor does our vet. They will learn as they get older. Their bladders are small right now and as they get older their bladders get larger and they can last longer without going. All of our pups get house broken just fine, and we do not withhold water.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
No water in the crate, freely accessible water outside of the crate. When the dog is in the crate, he doesn't have water.

When you have a puppy (from 8 to 10 weeks) he should only stay in the crate for 2-3 hours. 4 hours for older than that. By that time, your dog should be housebroken or close to it and he can have his crate doors open all day long which gives him free access to water and the bathroom. If you close the crate doors, he shouldn't be in there all day long! You are potentially putting your dog between a rock and a hard place if he has free access to water inside his closed crate... he'll drink when he gets thirsty but has no choice but pee in his bed if his bladder gets too full - which dogs really hate to do.

So, in my opinion, no water in the crate but don't lock him in that crate for more than 4 hours.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online