Cystine Crystals

BennysMumma

Sep 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Benny
Hello. I have been looking for help myself. My Benny has been developing stones since this past May when he had surgery to remove them. He is back in surgery today for more. I have been looking for that right diet for the past few months with no luck. It seems as no one knows how to help. I am copying our story to you so you know the back ground. I am curious as to who Dr. Henthorn is and if you had any luck with her?

Benny has always been so healthy and the last few months it's been a roller coaster. He will be 6 years old October 20th, and is a puppy of the mother bully who is no longer with us. In May he could not urinate and we had to rush him to Animal ER where his bladder was about to burst. Watching him around the yard, I thought he was having trouble with constipation but after watching, there was no urine coming out, which is what he was trying to do. From trying so hard he shoved the stones all the way into his urethra, luckily they were able to flush them back into the bladder where they only had to do one procedure. The stones were sent to be analyzed and came back struvite, which are caused by the amino acids and he is to have a low protein diet, which he was put on a prescription Science Diet U/D. This food caused him to have watery stools and messed his GI track to where the mucus lining was being effected and he was having blood in his stools. The vet then said to feed him some hamburger and rice until we find him something that will work for against the stones and also not mess up his GI tract. He was only on the burger and rice for a week and a half and then he now has the stones again. He is supposed to be on a low protein diet because it's the amino acids his system cannot digest.The vet is yet to find answers for his diet. I have looked every where on the internet and called several companies regarding dog food with no luck. So 4 months and $4000 later, we are having the same surgery today! This time they were afraid he really lodged his stones in his urethra because they were stuck in the actual bone of the penis and we were looking at having a part of his penis removed. He had to be transferred from our regular bed to Board Certified Surgeon yesterday, and thankfully they were able to get the stones to move back without altering him and he will be having the surgery this afternoon to remove all of them from the bladder. They are going to send his stones to be analyzed again to see if there is more of something else. We are told he will always have a problem with these and plan on more surgeries, unless we find a proper diet. Since he was a puppy I had been feeding him,Nutro's Natural Choice Chicken, Rice Oatmeal for years. without problems. Then the U/D special diet did not work for him and I found very odd too is that the U/D does not have a trace of a normal food item in the ingredients, it's all chemical! I really need help with finding him the right low protein diet that will not cause anymore havoc to his system. I am willing to cook for him him every day if that is what I need to do! I hate seeing him go through all of this. Please help!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello Bully friends...

I am in need of more information.

I have a 3 yo male that has had stone surgery to remove a handful of bladder stones. But they did not get them all or more developed in 4 weeks. Another emergency surgery to remove one lodged in urethra.

Now he has one enlarged testicle?

HELP !!!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hello Bully friends...

I am in need of more information.

I have a 3 yo male that has had stone surgery to remove a handful of bladder stones. But they did not get them all or more developed in 4 weeks. Another emergency surgery to remove one lodged in urethra.

Now he has one enlarged testicle?

HELP !!!!

Do you know what kind of stones they are? I believe they get two different types one is a high ph stone and the other is caused by low ph? I'll tag a few people that were part of this thread before maybe they can be more helpful.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
He has the non-struvite kind. I just called the vet office to confirm. He has the Cystine type. The stones were sent off to the lab to be checked. Now he is on the "special" expensive kibble, but yet 4 weeks later got another. The reason was possibly not all of them were cleared out? Got logged in urethra and had to have THAT surgery..

Last edited:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello,

Urolithiasis (Cystine) in Dogs

Urolithiasis is a medical term referring to the presence of crystals or stones in the urinary tract. When the stones are made up of cystine – a normal compound found in the body – they are called cystine stones. These stones can also be found in the kidneys and in the tubes connecting the kidneys to the animal's bladder (ureters).

Urolithiasis affects both dogs and cats, and are primarily found in adult animals. As far as dogs breeds: Dachshunds, English Bulldogs, Newfoundlands, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and Welsh Corgi Dogs are more susceptible to cystine stones.

Ultrasounds and X-rays are often performed to determine the size, shape, and location of the stones, helping the veterinarian come up with an appropriate treatment regimen. A urine test can also detect the presence of stones.

Since regular x-rays can detect these “special” kinds of stones/crystals, a dye is added to the bladder and then they show up in reverse contrast on an x-ray. I had to have this done. They took regular xray and nothing showed up. Then did the dye xray and there they were…lots of them!

Needed surgery to clear out bladder. I watched the operation and she had to use her finger to feel around inside the bladder to find them all. But sadly another showed up 4 weeks later and was lodged in his urethra and he had to have another emergency surgery.

We are not out of the woods yet….

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]. Might be able to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockynmj2

Nov 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Hi everyone! I am looking for help and advice with cystine crystals. My bully is 9 years old and this is the 2nd time he has developed these crystals. We spoke to our vet about special diets but I am not fond on prescription diet foods. Is there any specific recipes to make to help my baby? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online