TOO young for an allergy test!?

Dieselbaby

Sep 1, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
So I have come to the conclusion that we really need to have an allergy test done on our little Diesel. At first we thought it was grass that was the major culprit but now were thinking its mainly cats! Both of our parents have cats at their houses and this past Monday we took Diesel over to grannys to visit. Well the next morning he had these pimples ALL over his skin and belly. This isn't the first time we have seen this. The following morning I noticed he must have really scratched them during the night because that morning two were bleeding!:( I am so over this and beyond frustrated!
I called around to vets for prices on allergy testing and at first everyone I called didn't know of the top of their heads and said they would call back with prices. Okay.. so i get a call from one vet saying that she spoke wit the veterinarian and she said at 6 months old there's no way he could be having allergy symptoms yet, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT!? I don't know for sure but to me that just sounds ridiculous! They don't know what breed I have or even what we have been going through so how could they say hes not having reactions to allergies!? GRRR :angry2: I'm so beside myself I have been wiping him down with baby wipes (hypoallergenic) after each walk outside too. Its been 6 days since we were around the cats and they went down but now its all scabbed up. Benedryl has helped with the itching I HATE seeing him this way... So is there really a possibility that he is to young for this test!?
Please any thoughts and comments would be GREATLY appreciated! Anyone else have problems with allergies to cats?

Thanks Paula & Diesel:bully:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
he isnt too young for allergies,usually start under 12 months old ,compromised immune system is the problem,mine started at 9 months and is still at it,antihistamines rarely work on contact allergy ,i now treat her symptoms,i wash her belly and pits in sterile water dry her off and apply sudacrem it certainly helps with the itchy feeling she gets and cools the skin down,if she is very itchy to the point of bleeding i put a tshirt on her to protect her skin,ive been raw feeding for 7 months now ,giving her fresh garlic and apple cider vinegar in the hope that her immune system becomes normal,my bully is allergic to wool ,so no more sitting in the lounge she spends her time in the kitchen and conservatory but shes used to it now but nearly always there is someone in there with her,my vet recomended against allergy testing as it throws up too many false/positives so i havnt bothered ive just eliminated her contact surfaces and wool is the trigger,problem is once a dog has an allergy to something it usually leads onto other allergies later,bummer or what lol,btw sudacrem is just nappy rash cream ,good luck ,karen

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I'm not much help here, but... We got Ruckus when he was 6months. The family we adopted him from gave us vet records that showed he was given a few different meds for allergies( I googled the meds). My vet had no luck contacting the previous vet so were not sure what he's allergic to specifically. It's the trial n error game over here.

OP
Dieselbaby

Dieselbaby

Sep 1, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
So how did you find out that Annie was allergic to wool.. So far ive noticed its not the food were on now.. casue we were fine untill we left the house of cats.. so i guess you just have to rule things out..

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
my bully is allergic to wool ,so no more sitting in the lounge she spends her time in the kitchen and conservatory but shes used to it now but nearly always there is someone in there with her

I want a conservatory! :begging: That rocks that you have one [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] !!!

Sorry for the interruption. As you were......

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is 6 months, had hives for a few days last month, and just got spayed. I asked the vet to do an allergy test at the same time, but he suggested that I wait until after the first frost (will be here soon enough). right now, there might be some false positives because the seasons are changing..ragweed other fall allergens, etc. Even if Lola isnt allergic technically to some of these things, her immune system is active against some things, and therefore might have some false positives on the blood test. False positives (high immunoreactivity to something in season) also might lead to undetected real allergies. After the first frost, the hyperactivity of the immune system to outdoor things is down, and everything should be a basal levels...therefore increasing the chances of detecting real allergies. I'm going to have it done in December-ish. Lola will be 8 months old. Vet tech in canada told me it would be around $400. I forgot to ask the Vet to confirm the price. (everything is more expensive here). good luck.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
We are going to have Chaos allergy tested too, but my vet did say if possible it is better to wait until they are 1 year old because they are more developed and the results usually are alot more accurate after they are one.???? So since the meds he gave us seems to be working we are gonna wait. It's only 2 months.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have also heard that waiting until they are over a year old is best since, at that point, their immune system is more mature and they have been exposed to environmental elements from every season of the year - so a test past a year old would likely produce a more accurate result.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online