Who's Bully gets Allergy Shots????

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
With our old vet that retired Vegas has gotten an allergy shot every 5-6 weeks for the last year and a half, and did wonderful for that period of time, I did not even have to look at the calendar to see when his last shot was Vegas actually would start itching his face and licking his paws almost to the day of his last shot, telling me he was due for another one.

Well the vet that took over (which I hate) refused yesterday to give Vegas a shot and put him on allergy pills instead. Her reasoning was that the shots could cause liver damage.

Well I gave him a pill when we got home yesterday and he was so doped up last night that he was laying down on the tile and I sat on the couch with a snack and he tried to stand up (thinking he would miss a crumb), and he had a very hard time getting to his feet! I gave him another pill this morning because he is going crazy itching his face and feet and it has made him lay all day sleeping. I had to MAKE him go outside to pee after about 5 hours.

Now I am suppose to give him this pill 3 times a day!! NO WAY!!!!! He has had one today. I am going to give him some Benedryl tonight to help with his itching, he is miserable, his face is red and I have washed his face, feet and flushed his ears today.

I do have an appt. next Friday with a new vet so we will see, (also for a second opinion with his eye surgery) I know I am taking a risk by getting him the shots, but he is soooo miserable without them. If this vet we are going to see next week refuses I will find one that will. I am willing to take the risk rather than see the poor thing so doped up and crazy itching as he is today. What kind of life is he living now being so miserable?!?!??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke and Banks were on shots.... never was it said that there would be issues with there liver? Now, since we switched to raw, we were able to stop the shots and when we did the stem cell therapy for Nitschke his allergies seemed to have really diminished during those 7 months. Stop the allergy meds and just give him the benedryl till you can get in with the new vet. Any chance they can get in you in sooner? Call explain your concerns and maybe they can fit you in.

Hang in there.... it will work out.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Ugh, I am so sorry you are going through all of this with Vegas. I'd be sick too - I don't blame you.

Do you know what is in the allergy shots?

I ask because when Linus' allergies reached their worst after Bentley died (and I was feeding him ice cream), he needed a shot of Prednisone to bring his allergies back down to earth. It worked wonders. He was like a new dog, instantly. But our vet did mention that long term use of Prednisone was not good for Linus as it would weaken his natural immune system and, since it is processed by the liver, eventually damage the liver.

Just a bit of information I thought might be useful to get to the bottom of Vegas' plight. Hope he feels better soon. xo

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I agree with the above poster --- What exactly is the "medicine" we are referring to as the Allergy shot? I know with Maximus, I took him in last week, and the vet gave him a steroid injection, put him on steroid pills and antibiotics. Is the 'Allergy' shot really a steroid injection?? I'm curious to find out about this.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I missed this post before....poor baby! [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] - how's he doing today?

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION],, [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION], [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION], You two are correct, it was a serum that the vet made up containig some steroids, I knew he could not be on them forever, I know the risk of the liver, but he did 100% better when he had the shots!

We are not going that way anymore. He is going to a dermatologist and getting a full allergy panal done, then will reiceve shots that are made up of what exactly he is allergic to so that he can build immunities.

Vicki, he is doing much better since the vet visit on Friday, where he did recive his final steroid shot until we go to the dermatologist. We have to wait 3 weeks so that this final shot can be out of his system so they can get an accurate result on the allergy screening.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Vicki, he is doing much better since the vet visit on Friday, where he did recive his final steroid shot until we go to the dermatologist. We have to wait 3 weeks so that this final shot can be out of his system so they can get an accurate result on the allergy screening.

Whew. Good to know. Thank you. That helpless feeling when they're going buggy? It breaks my heart...so I know how you feel - not exactly; but sorta anyway. :cry:It's maddening and frustrating and sad! Oh why can't they TALK TO US?! LOL

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION],, [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION], [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION], You two are correct, it was a serum that the vet made up containig some steroids, I knew he could not be on them forever, I know the risk of the liver, but he did 100% better when he had the shots!

We are not going that way anymore. He is going to a dermatologist and getting a full allergy panal done, then will reiceve shots that are made up of what exactly he is allergic to so that he can build immunities.

I have to agree with you. I just don't know to go about finding a Vet dermatologist. I guess I could ask my vet, but I'm sure he will say I don't need to see one.
Yet I know he will not continue to give Maximus steroid injections. Right now he looks so much better, his eyes are finally opened fully and I can see them, as opposed to his normal eyes being red and swollen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online