Banks... vet visit follow up for her colitis

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sigh...... buckle in kids.. it's going to be a bumpy ride.

As you may know from previous post, Banks has colitis and she has been on meds for the past 9-10 days. Dr. Rossi wanted an update upon her completing all the medicine so I call last night after her daily :poo:... around 6:30pm, she was doing OK, progressing slowly back to a normal :poo: until last night, it was 'oatmeal' with a little blood. I call the office to tell them the update and as soon as I say my name - the girl on the line gets very quite, needless to say I lose it and could not talk. I pull myself together and give the update on Banks, she wants me to bring her in for an 8:30pm, I just could not do it, not mentally ready to be there nor did I think it was an emergency situation. Turned out, neither did she, her concern was my state due to the loss of Nitschke on Tuesday. So, we set an appointment for this morning at 11.

Banks and I get ready and head out to the car around 10:00 as the ride to the vet is about 45 minutes. I open the door to the van (which I brought specifically for Nitschke's short legs and Banks car anxiety) and what is on the front seat - Nitschke's leash, yes, I cried the entire 45 minutes to the vet.

I pulled myself together while talking with Lewis on the phone and walking Banks around to possibly potty, which she does (very strange for her) but it gave me a sample for the doctor. We enter the hospital, my heart is racing and I'm fighting tears, Brittany is at the desk and immediately gives me a 'look', we both go into tears (UGH). she quickly places me in an exam room.. where I notice Banks face is really pink and her one eye looks red.

Ian enters the room and I nearly vomit. He is the tech that carried Nitschke into the emergency room.... really GOD - not funny. As I am trying to give him the info on Banks, I look down at her --- she is breaking out in HIVES and the left side of her face is bright RED. I am like, eh, Ian, I know I am crying and may be seeing things, but does she have hives and is her face swelling up? He runs out to get Dr. Rosignonli (Dr. Rossi is off till Monday). She walks in and gasps... pull Banks out of the room for a shot of Benedryl. Bring her back in,start the exam for why we are really there and Banks starts breathing heavy (more than a pant) and one side of her face is totally swollen and hard - they take her out again for another shot, but of steroids. She obviously was bitten by something while we were walking aound the grounds to go potty. Good Lord!!

OK, we are now an hour into my visit and she still is not evaluated for why we are there to begin with! Meanwhile, as we are waiting for Banks to stabilize, two of Nitschke's favorite techs enter the room (Kim and Gail)... no words initially, we all just start crying and group hug. The go on to tell me how very upset Dr. Rossi was on Tuesday after the emergency hospital called him and the whole staff is in shock at the loss of 'their little buddy' (as Gail said). as we are all talking, and have settled down, in walks Sue - another favorite - cryfest part 2.

Now, we finally get to Banks evaluation, not much to say except she on stronger meds and a bland diet (cooked beef/rice and drain the fat). since all the tests are coming back normal, they are sending her poo to an outside lab for different tests. since the meds did seem to be working, it is possible our stress this week may be impacting her, but that is not something we can take a chance with waiting.... she is on three meds, a dewormer and a probiotic.

Nice week, huh!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh Christine..:hug: ..I'm so sorry. For me the next trip back to the vet was always heart wrenching..in fact, I have to ask one of my daughters to retrieve ashes for me. I so can imagine your pain! But you have some wonderful friends at your vets whom truly care about you and your babies. Maybe Banks knew EXACTLY what she was doing...after all..you were forced to focus on her and NOT the last time you were there. Now..she didn't have to be sooo dramatic..but she IS a she..after all. It will be a bumpy ride..but we are there for you...one day at a time...:love:

Last edited:

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
Christine, i hope Banks starts to improve soon for you, i think you are very brave lady, and have good friends, around you. a day at a time hun:luv:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope Banks gets well soon, we will keep her and you in our prayers.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Wow. Sounds like you're hanging in, but inadvertantly or not, your facing those tough milestones...the leash, toys. Very painful. I feel so bad for you having to go back there so soon, but you were being a good Mom!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
What a woman. .....what a ride. what a life.....untimely to say the least. Your one tough cookie. You do what has to be done. And take it as it comes. Hold out your arms, It's a hug from me :hug:

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh Christine..:hug: ..I'm so sorry. For me the next trip back to the vet was always heart wrenching..in fact, I have to ask one of my daughters to retrieve ashes for me. I so can imagine your pain! But you have some wonderful friends at your vets whom truly care about you and your babies. Maybe Banks knew EXACTLY what she was doing...after all..you were forced to focus on her and NOT the last time you were there. Now..she didn't have to be sooo dramatic..but she IS a she..after all. It will be a bumpy ride..but we are there for you...one day at a time...:love:

Banks = drama

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my im so sorry and i hope banks gets better soon. sheez im sure its gotta be better after this.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
There's really nothing to add that's not already been said except...there are times....not many anymore...where I speak of Mable and my heart - for a moment - snaps back to that broken state it was in the days after she died. This hasn't happened in a very long time now and I am grateful. At the same time, you can feel guilty too, right? But I know SHE knows that she lives in my heart and right now, she's keeping Nitschke company at the bridge. She LOVED to play with her bully pals! Hang in there sounds to trite..but really, what else can one do? Banks needs you now...and I'm guessing the stress from all of this is certainly affecting her too. How can it not?

Giant hugs from someone you don't even know but who knows you - well, at least, how your heart feels right now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.