Help with Tyson's teeth /breath

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Tyson's breath is foul! His teeth aren't in terrific shape either. The vet wants to put him out and clean them. I am not comfortable with this yet. He is overweight and we are all the time discovering new health issues. I don't really want him under anesthesia for something not medically necessary, until I have had him a while and know he is in better shape. I just don't want to risk it. There is no way in heck he is going to let me brush his teeth either. He is eating bones which are supposed to help but does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do. I know there are a lot of dental treats out. Has anyone had any success with these or any sprays? Are any of these dangerous?

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My vet sells TD treats..like a kibble but great for tarter..if you get them..get the large size..otherwise he might swallow whole and that won't be cleaning his teeth!! I give my Dena dog 2 a day...Jake hasn't started with them yet. Have used them for years with all our dogs with no problems.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Nylabone or antler helps..... anything that they gnaw on helps.. shoes, furniture , etc. LOL

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] well I did just pick up this antique wooden chair at a yard sale so maybe that will work :p

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
carrots??? we feed ours several a day and that keeps their teeth purtttyyyy....i must warn u though they poop em back out...hee hee...

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
carrots??? we feed ours several a day and that keeps their teeth purtttyyyy....i must warn u though they poop em back out...hee hee...

You're funny. When I was a teen I went on a carrot diet and my skin started to change to a yellowish color...didn't notice the end result though.:hmm:

Last edited:

DinoRoyale

Aug 4, 2011
Red Wing
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
We do a few things with Angus, we have this dental stuff, its a liquid that you can poor into his water. It helps with breathe and teeth. We also have a few of the dental bones that help with tartar and other stuff and he likes those. Lastly, I do brush his teeth with the finger brush, and the dog paste smells like cinnamon rolls so he really really likes it. I know Tyson is older and may be apprehensive but perhaps if the paste is enticing enough, he'll let you get in there to clean things up a bit.

Good luck!!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I give my dogs the Blue Bones dental chews. Then once a week, I squirt TropiClean Teeth Gel in their teeth. Yes, they try to avoid it but, I just hold the top of their mouth open (yeah, I have to flap Bullie's extra skin out), squirt the gel on the teeth right quick, they'll lick and lick, which is just fine and if they're not too fussy I swipe it with a fingerbrush. If they're squirmy, I just let it go without the fingerbrush.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.