yeast infection

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
l might sound a little dum, but what is yeast infection and how do i know if my dog has this.... where dos it affect the dog[what part of his body]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No question is dumb... yeast can infect the dog in many places... ears, folders, between toes, private parts, etc. Allergies play some role and I believe potatoes can add to the problem if your pup is prone to yeast issues.

OP
deegary

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
halo thank you for that.... does it smell. is it like thrush on a human.....will i beable to see it? is it like white spots?

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I've never dealt with it but I think that I read on here somewhere that it is reddish and does have a smell.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2734]deegary[/MENTION] - I don't know that I've ever SEEN or SMELT one either - probably because I'm over here performing every possible skin prevention method in order to avoid this. ha ha I did some research tho and I am happy to say that our beloved Bullies aren't the only dogs out there suffering with yeast issues. OK, I'm not happy about it - you know what I mean. I'm glad it's not just us! Many of the things suggested here showed up on other sites too. We're so smart. heh heh

Dogs: Yeast Infection Remedies

[h=3]What Are the Signs of a Yeast Infection in Dogs?[/h] You may notice your dog scratching his ear or rubbing it on the floor or on a piece of furniture. That's a sign that he may have a yeast infection. Here's what else to look for:

• brown, yellow, or bloody discharge
  • odor
  • redness or swelling
  • crusted skin on the ear flap
  • loss of hair around the ear
  • head shaking or tilting
  • loss of balance
  • loss of hearing
  • walking in circles
  • unusual eye movements
I also found a good slide show that shows a yeast infection - although I have an idea that this is a really bad one and none of us would let our dogs look like this! (third slide, I think)

Pet Health Pictures Slideshow: Skin Problems in Dogs on MedicineNet.com

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has yeast right now on his face, I took him to the vet yesterday. He does smell, it is like a sour smell to it. When I wipe his wrinkles on his face it comes off like brown dirt. His face is very wet from it. The solution?? Wash face daily, DRY it completely dry. Even after doing this we still managed to get some.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]........Kelly, is there a medication that will kill the yeast? I have heard that red between the toes and yellowed foot pads is a sign of yeast. HRH has that but I'm not sure if I need to do anything about it other than wash her feet. She does lick her feet but not incessantly.

OP
deegary

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
thank you so much for that information and that wed site, really interesting to read... walter my bullie has got nothing wrong with him at present that god... but i check him regular and clean him everday... like having a baby really lol but thanks again hun:angel:

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], she gave me a solution to wash his face in. I was using his vet Rx shampoo to wash his face which is anti-yeast fungal, but she said this works better it is called MalAcetic Otic, it is just like the wipes everyone on this site loves only it is a liquid. I have never used it before so we shall see....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], she gave me a solution to wash his face in. I was using his vet Rx shampoo to wash his face which is anti-yeast fungal, but she said this works better it is called MalAcetic Otic, it is just like the wipes everyone on this site loves only it is a liquid. I have never used it before so we shall see....

This is what I use. There is another malcetic ultra that other members are using with success too that I will try next. It works great and doesn't smell bad either! Not necessary to dry because it has drying agents in it, better to leave it wet to do its job of killing bad bacteria and fungus. Good for ears, feet, tail pockets and girlie parts as well as the nose rope and face wrinkles.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]....... Thanx for the replies. Ive heard of the Malcetic..... Im going to order some and try it on her feet... Thanx again :)

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], I am SO glad you said no need to dry it, the vet told me that yesterday and I thought "yea whatever" I thought the moisture would make it worse so of course I dried it off after I washed his face, THANK YOU for confirming. [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], I don't know if you can order it or not?? Mine was a prescription from the vet. Whoops I just googled it you CAN order it and it is about $8.00 cheaper than what I paid for it!!

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION].... I just called her vet and they don't carry it.... I'll just order it online. I like to give her vet a try for things like this if I can.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.