When is the best time for a neuter?

jbeastin

Sep 6, 2011
Hello everyone i am new to this forum and have been doing plenty of research for my newest family member bruno!
We had him for about a month & 2 weeks now and have grown so attached to him. Bruno is turning 4 months this saturday and we planned on neutering him but just not sure when. I've heard many different ages for an appropriate time to get neutered such as, 6 months being the earliest and 2 years old to let them grow. I just wanted to get some input on what age is best for our bruno to get neutered. Any experiences or recommendations? thanks

DSC_0065.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi there and welcome to EBN! Love that shot of Bruno with his tongue hanging out. What a cute fellow.

As far as neutering is concerned, there are various schools of thought on the subject. Have you talked to your vet about it? That's a good place to start.

My vet's philosophy is for dogs to be neutered at 1 year old and no earlier unless there are circumstances that require it. My breeder and her vet recommended 6months of age. Others will say earlier than that. I can just speak from my own experience; i had my two guys neutered this past Monday and they are 8months and 7months old. I would have waited til 1year old like my vet recommended but Finn (the younger one) had a medical problem, a uerethral prolapse, that necessitated him getting neutered now. So, i had both neutered at the same time.

It's good that you are asking questions and gathering information about it now while Bruno is still young.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to the site and the wonderful world of bulldogs.... you will come to be obsessed with both.

My vet had told us -- 6 months at the earliest, but Nitschke was done at 8 months and Banks spayed at 6months.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I was told to wait until at least 7 months..to "let their heads grow"..:ROFL:.. I think that's NOT true! My vet recommends 6months to a year..my Jake was neutered at 9 months. His head seems fine too! :laugh:.. By the way..:welcome:.. Bruno is wonderful and we are thrilled you found us!

OP
J

jbeastin

Sep 6, 2011
yes my vet has also said 6 months but i just wanted more information about when it is appropriate since after doing my research i found various ages but it seems like 6mo to a 1yr seems just fine. thanks for all the info, im very glad to have signed up on ebn as u guys are very helpful!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.