OMG, Vegas needs surgery!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
P.S. I have read elsewhere (and if anybody could substantiate or refute this, please do!) that in some cases, entropion is not hereditary, but the result of situational allergens causing the eye to spasm and eventually fold. In that case, you can usually alleviate the problem via drops and removal of allergens. Anybody know how true that is? (I was reading generally about entropion in dogs and I think that statement was made regarding retrievers.)[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Opthalmologist did say this. That the allergies cause the lids to swell and therefore turn in more which is what likely caused Gator's ulcer. So, we are using the cream twice a day in both eyes and they tacked back one bottom eyelid to help keep it from happening again until we are fairly sure he has reached his full "head potential". lol.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
P.S. I have read elsewhere (and if anybody could substantiate or refute this, please do!) that in some cases, entropion is not hereditary, but the result of situational allergens causing the eye to spasm and eventually fold. In that case, you can usually alleviate the problem via drops and removal of allergens. Anybody know how true that is? (I was reading generally about entropion in dogs and I think that statement was made regarding retrievers.)

Actually, the Opthalmologist did say this. That the allergies cause the lids to swell and therefore turn in more which is what likely caused Gator's ulcer. So, we are using the cream twice a day in both eyes and they tacked back one bottom eyelid to help keep it from happening again until we are fairly sure he has reached his full "head potential". lol.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I actually spoke to Chance's breeder about it and she said the same thing. His eyes are less red now after using the gel drops so I'm going to assume that we need a new vet opinion.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Actually, the Opthalmologist did say this. That the allergies cause the lids to swell and therefore turn in more which is what likely caused Gator's ulcer. So, we are using the cream twice a day in both eyes and they tacked back one bottom eyelid to help keep it from happening again until we are fairly sure he has reached his full "head potential". lol.

Thanks for the response. I actually spoke to Chance's breeder about it and she said the same thing. His eyes are less red now after using the gel drops so I'm going to assume that we need a new vet opinion.[/QUOTE]

I would surely seek out an opthalmologist for Chance. Ours doesn't charge any more for a visit than our regular vet does. He waited until the ulcer healed and the allergy meds took affect before he wanted to determine if Gator needed the entropian surgery or not since he had not met him before.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.