OMG, Vegas needs surgery!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
KEEP IN MIND I WILL GET A SECOND OPIONION!!

I take Vegas today to our new vet for his allergy shot and anal glands done. Remember Vegas's vet for over 2 years retired.

First she will NOT give him any more allergy shots, her reason is steroids and eventually can shut down his liver, so she put him on Hydroxyzine pills 3x a day for his seasonal allergies.

Secondly his eyes have been extra runny, tear stains for the last 3 weeks, his face is actually wet from his eyes running so much I thought it was due to just allergies but I did agree it was more than normal. She looks at his eyes and says to me "well he has etropian in both eyes, see how both roll in?" She then goes on to tell me that his lashes are scratching his eyeball causing his tears to run down his face. She wants to "Tack" his eyes!! immediately my stomach got into a knot!! She rolled his eyes over and over showing me and I must admit I see what she was saying. He is now on lubricating drops 3x a day (until surgery)

Third with his eyes being so wet and making his face wet he has yeast, so she prescribed MalAcetic Otic solution to wash his face 2x a day with. Anyone used this??

She then goes on to tell me "he is only 2 and a half, he will get eye ulcers and eventully go blind by the time he is 4!!! If he does not have this surgery.

I wanted to vomit right on her, I immediately ask her what she uses to put him under and I kept trying to think what I had read on this site and alls I could think of what ISO....well that is what she said she uses,

I am sitting here shaking I am so upset, and of course I WILL get a second opinion, Please any of you that has had this done or knows about the medications he is now on give me your experience. I am a wreck!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG - Kelly.... it will be OK, get a second opinion to make sure. I think the ISO is not the one you want them to use on Vegas. Remembering all the thread - there are a few here that had this done... you'll get plenty of support and advice shortly.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Kelly..gatorray has JUST gone through this with Gator..I will try and find the thread..he hsd his lids stapled back..tacking..until he could have surgery..they want to wait until he is older. Don't panic..we will find the right people.lots have dealt with this..I know..it's sweet Vegas...it will be ok! :hug:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I would really re-consider, get another opinion. Find a Bully vet if at all possible, interview them etc... Abby was recommended for that about 8 years ago, she is just now needing drops.

Also it really gets me when vets just say....oh they have_______ and sells you tons of stuff. I really think it is overboard. Vegas has been fine for this long. His allergy shots. Well my bulldog Richard has a monthly allergy shot for 11 years. He lived to be just over 12! The vet warned my mom about it shorting his life because of the liver, but he was fine the entire time. He had to have them, he was allergic to grass of all things.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh wow, that's a lot of information for poor Vegas' vet visit. I know it's hard but try not to get too overwhelmed.

The hydroxyzine she prescribed is a good antihistamine but may make Vegas drowsy so be aware of that. Like most antihistamines, it may also dry him out--might get constipated, give him dry mouth, and dry eyes. I know he's on eye drops for lubrication so this is a side effect to be aware of.
The Malacetic otic soln is a good one for yeasty skin folds. Just make sure to pat the folds dry after you use the solution.

I don't have experience re. the eye issues but i KNOW you will get some valuable feedback from others here. Stay calm and everything will be okay. :hug:

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] my dam* husband is insisting that I get off this site and enjoy my birthday! I am OK, just a nervous wreck and calling another vet tomorrow for a second opionion. I am sick to my stomach. I will be OK,. got to go though, for some reason he wants me to be with him and "talk" instead of being on this site.......Men!!!!!!!!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] my dam* husband is insisting that I get off this site and enjoy my birthday! I am OK, just a nervous wreck and calling another vet tomorrow for a second opionion. I am sick to my stomach. I will be OK,. got to go though, for some reason he wants me to be with him and "talk" instead of being on this site.......Men!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate to agree! But go..Vegas will be fine! We will be with you! Enjoy your :birthday:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yeah,,,,, Go have a nice stiff birthday drink!!!!!!!! We can talk about this tomorrow. You need to find a opthomologist for dogs. If your vet won't recommend one go elsewhere.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Yes! Go enjoy what Joe has planned for your birthday. Then get an appointment for a second opinion tomorrow.I'm pretty sure I read on here that entropic surgery should only be done if an ulcer is present in dye tests. Otherwise many bullies respond to drops or gel. HRH has dry eye and has responded well to the gel. Her vet previously diagnosed entropian too, but wanted to see if the antibiotic drops would help first and they did.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor Vegas, I'm sure he will be fine, once you find the right bully vet to look at his eyes. So go enjoy your B-day and maybe you can find a vet tomorrow for the second opinion.:birthday:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh you poor thing!! BTW Happy Birthday!!!
Duke went through the identical thing.. I was hysterical.. We took him to a vet ophthalmologist who did tell us he would have to have the surgery.. Duke actually did develop an ulcer. Duke had it done had over 100 stitches and I must say has never ( knock on wood) had any more ulcers or problems since.. His surgery was two years ago. We just recently took him back to have his eyes checked and he gave us some wetting drops to help his eyes produce tears but he told us he healed perfectly , his vision is fine and the surgery went well. I would get another opinion but would go to someone who specializes in the eye.. Hang in there.. :luv:

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
Rollie had entropian surgery the week after we got him. He was almost 2, the lady that had him before us didn't take care of him. The vet told me that it could cause eye ulcers,too. I was also sick to my stomach, I almost passed out when they rolled back his eyelids! I was also so mad at the lady we bought him off of that she didn't have the decency to take care of him! I called her she denied him having eye trouble. But hmmm, 3 vets told me the same thing. Rollie had to go through the eye drops too before surgery. They cut a little skin on outer corners and on the bottom lids. He had stitches for about 2 wks. And we had to do antibiotics for a week & eye ointment. He had to have one eye done twice. A couple of months later. The vet said because their faces are so wrinkly, it might have to be done again. :( I felt really bad too. But, the cone was awful!! The second time we got the inner-tube one, it was perfect. I am going to be honest, after the surgery we could tell a big difference in his eyes, they were bad, so weepy & snotty. When he was healed, it was like he could finally see and we could tell he felt better. I understand how hard it is. I had to leave Rollie over night, because they did surgery early. He also got neutered while he was there..I felt like a monster! But didnt want to have to put him asleep again.The vet said entropia is heredity, so we didn't want to pass it on. Try to enjoy your birthday! If a second opinion would maybe ease your mind, then I would get one. Good luck, it will be ok!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.