Poor baby Fiona with no answers.

Merrick Davison

Oct 12, 2011
Sarasota, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona, Kiya and Buddy
I recently got a new bulldog and she is beautiful and so sweet. For the first week or two, I figured her obsessive peeing was due to being a puppy. The vet did a urinalsys and it did show there was a high PH as well as some cyst. They snet us home with medicines and said this should work. It kept getting worst and sat. she started peeing blood. It progressively got worst. They ran a bunch of tests on her and it showed her bladder wall was extremely enlarged leaving her bladder to be about the size of putting your thumb to your pointer finger, smaller than a tennis ball. There were not much answers yet with all that is going on. We were walking out the door and Fiona urinated a stone/clot felt like sand. It was a good sign, bc now we know what type of sediment it is, but for a puppy only being 12 weeks she should not have these problems. I will know more on Friday once all the tests come back. I just wanted opinions on rather I should contact the breeder about all of this? It has cost me beyond funds that I dont have, but at the time it doesnt matter till she is better. I will take any all ideas or suggestions!

Thanks

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh dear..I'm so sorry you and poor Fiona are encountering such difficult issues especially with a new pup. I do NOT have experience with this..but I would definitely contact the breeder...sounds like she came to you with a bladder problem. Hold on and I'm sure someone with more experience along these lines will be along shortly. I'm glad you found us.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm sorry to hear about Fiona's health problem. I do not have experience with this either but i did want to ask if the vet gave her some pain medication?
I'm concerned about the little one experiencing pain since you said she passed that stone/clot. I hope you will find the answers soon and Fiona will be treated properly. I agree w/Becky, good idea to contact the breeder who may be able to help/offer insight to the condition.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Oh no, poor Fiona!! and poor you, yikes.

I don't have experience with this type of thing. But I'm with [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] in wondering if she got pain meds? This is different, but somewhat the same..my cats had kidney stones and were in a lot of pain. they just didn't act right and yowled when they peed..it was sad and awful. I imagine Fiona is probably in some pain and that may be of benefit to her?

I hope you figure out what's going on. Keep us updated!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Hi! I am so sorry your puppy has an angry bladder. I have a bully with constant bladder and PH abnormalities. *A high PH can signal infection, or it can signal just an environment "ripe" for infection. Passing stones that young...I don't know.* Has your vet checked her inside lady parts for something called a "stricture" ?*Sometimes this is expensive to fix, for us it was not. We were told this isn't a bulldog thing, just a random dog thing. But yeah, for us at 10 months, Lupe bled when she slept...ugh. Also, some physical stuff that causes urinary problems can be fixed during spaying if the vet knows to look.* Good luck!!!! It's worth ALWAYS worth the money. No joke.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Did you have a health contract with the breeder? I don't have experience with that because we got HRH as an adult, but many reputable breeders give a year health guarantee from what I've read.

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
I recently got a new bulldog and she is beautiful and so sweet. For the first week or two, I figured her obsessive peeing was due to being a puppy. The vet did a urinalsys and it did show there was a high PH as well as some cyst. They snet us home with medicines and said this should work. It kept getting worst and sat. she started peeing blood. It progressively got worst. They ran a bunch of tests on her and it showed her bladder wall was extremely enlarged leaving her bladder to be about the size of putting your thumb to your pointer finger, smaller than a tennis ball. There were not much answers yet with all that is going on. We were walking out the door and Fiona urinated a stone/clot felt like sand. It was a good sign, bc now we know what type of sediment it is, but for a puppy only being 12 weeks she should not have these problems. I will know more on Friday once all the tests come back. I just wanted opinions on rather I should contact the breeder about all of this? It has cost me beyond funds that I dont have, but at the time it doesnt matter till she is better. I will take any all ideas or suggestions!

Thanks
hi no experience with this but i would defo contact the breeder, just incase other pups might have this problem...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Definitely contact your breeder

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Liam, (Bailey RIP 05/22/2011)
You are correct, a dog that young should not have stones. She may have a liver shunt.

The same thing happened to us a few months ago and it was a liver shunt. Our 8 week old puppy was peeing every 5 to 15 minutes. Four days after getting him from the breeder there was blood in his urine. The vet found stones and suspected a liver shunt. Have your vet test your dogs liver count by doing a blood test. Liam's liver count was off the chart. He had surgery in August and is doing much better.

Last edited:
OP
Merrick Davison

Merrick Davison

Oct 12, 2011
Sarasota, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona, Kiya and Buddy
Hi everyone! Thank you for all your answers. I had locked myself out of my account, so I do appologize for the late reply. Fionas vet has been amazing. She has called to check up on her twice and even called on her day off today leaving me her personal cell number. Her urine culture came back negative, but the vet said it could be wrong since she has been on antibiotics almost for 3 weeks. She is not urinating blood often anymore, but she is constantly urinating every 30 seconds - a minute. She is still on two antibiotics, but I honestly have not seen much change. The vet recommended that I put her on a RX Science Diet food that is suppose to help rid sediment in the bladder. It is not recommended for puppies but after speaking with SD they said it would be ok for a week or two. That is my next step. She said she believes this is an extremely bad UTI or bladder infection that was present around the time after she was born. Once and infection has been in a dogs system for so long it is difficult to try and get rid of the bacteria and may take a few different medicines. The liver shunt is always a possibility and if this does not work we are going to have further testing for that. She was given pain relievers and they gave her fluid to help flush her out. I have not contacted the breeder yet, but I do plan on it once all this chaos has calmed down. Fiona is such a happy-go-lucky puppy its difficult to tell that she is really in pain, but I know that she is, she just has a great way of hiding it. Thanks to everyone for the input and I will continue to keep you updated as things progress!

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Liam, (Bailey RIP 05/22/2011)
Hopefully, it's not a shunt and just a bad UTI. If Fiona's blood results look good it's probably not a shunt. Our vets felt certain that due to stones in a young dog and high bile acids that it was most likely a shunt and no further tests were required for Liam.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your pup.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Be very careful about the food. My Bella was diagnosed with a congenital issue and that food was reccomended for her as well. I didn't change since my EPI support group did not reccomend it. To date Bella is very well maintained by Orijin, grain free. I would research it a little, vets have very littel nutrition training and they just believe what a sales person has told them.

As far as her condition, I hope you find answers real soon, I feel so sorry for that little girl.

Talk to you Breeder, if it is a congenital issue and you have a health guarantee, there should be no problems with getting help for vet bills. Is the breeder local?

Good luck and please keep us updated.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my i dont have experience with this either but just wanted to say i so hope she gets better soon. and i would contact the breeder for sure. get well soon fiona.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh my, hopefully you'll get answers and your baby get better soon. Poor girl, it's especially hard hearing a pup going through so much. Please give her extra hugs for us.

I would be careful about the food as well. Science diet isn't the greatest. I feed my guys raw so I don't have much experience with kibble, but maybe do some research online to see what other owners are feeding their doggies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online