lymes disease

teddi

Oct 9, 2011
northwest ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
abby and lilly
we just got a new puppy a month ago and now she is sick. our vet is thinking lymes disease. she has a hard time standing up and all her joints are sore to the touch. she wants to sleep a lot but still eats and drinks good. as we live in northwest ontario in canada we don,t have lymes and our vet is confused. any info or help?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I suggest you do a google search on Lymes Disease for more info on it. Nonetheless, welcome to ebn and perhaps one of our members has some experience with it.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
lyme disease is caused by a bacteria or virus that lives in the belly of a tick. if puppy was outside in a wooded area or near a creek it could have been bitten by a tick easily. hubby grew up in western pa and i have to pull a tick off him after every fishing camp, though this is usually aorund easter. after the tick bites, it has to be there for a while so that the blood circulates from puppy to belly back to puppy. but the damage has been done even if the tick is now gone. lyme disease is easily treated if caught, antibiotics or antivirals (sorry i forget the pathogen), but will cause neurological damage if left untreated. i say treat it for lyme disease just in case, and wait..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry your baby is sick... I hope for a quick recovery. Bully hugs to you

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
wouldnt a complete blood work analysis at the vet help determine or rule out lymes disease?
I know you are in troubled times right now.

Do let us know what treatment they give her. Wish you all the best.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Sorry I can't be of any help! I live in New Jersey where there is Lyme's, so we got the vaccine when Tubs was getting his initial set of shots. I know it can be debilitating, but I don't know how your puppy could have gotten it if Lyme's isn't in your area. I hope you find out what is going and are able to treat it quickly!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know how it affects people and it does cause great pain and swelling in the joints. But Lyme disease is usually the last thing medical people think of..not the first! Please think about a second opinion and honestly the vet should've tested for Lyme disease if he suspected it. It's very treatable and your poor baby is in pain! I'm so sorry a new baby is causing you worry!

OP
T

teddi

Oct 9, 2011
northwest ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
abby and lilly
she seems to be doing a little better today, at least she can walk. blood work was done but it had to be sent away and we should have answers on friday. at present she is on clavamox and tolfedine. they seem to be helping.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Glad to see she's doing better.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.