Allergies to grass?

Dieselbaby

Sep 1, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Hello! Were new here and Ive just been looking around the site and getting used to how it works. Well i guess now is the time to post pics and issues that were having..
So the other day Diesel and I were outside playing in the grass. We normally are never outside long due to the temperature being in the high 90's but since it has dropped a little we have been outside more. :D I decided to take pics of what i "think" is our problem.
This is my first bullie so i hope I don't sound dumb, just simply need a few experienced opinions. Its definitely not the food either because we had this problem before so we changed food and since the food change things have been good untill now.. My thought is that its a skin allergy to grass and im just curious if this is very common and how to make it go away and is benedryl OK for it..? Also remember reading about baby wipes.. do we wipe him down after hes been rolling in the grass?

Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Paula & Diesel

1318095993.jpg

1318095952.jpg

1318097797.jpg

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
it's hard for me to see what the issue is in the pictures. the second one looks like red bumps, can't tell where. Brooke gets them sometimes on her belly, I thought it was an allergy (since bullies are so prone) but my vet said it was actually little bacterial infections and gave me some ointment, she said that she would probably grow out of it as she gets older and just put the ointment on whenever we see them. If it is allergies a lot of people do give their bullies benedryl, I have never had this issue so I'm unsure of dosage, but if you search the site I'm sure it's somewhere or someone will jump in and give it to you.

OP
Dieselbaby

Dieselbaby

Sep 1, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
They are kind of like pimples when you feel them, the ones that are on the leg which is the 2nd pic and the ones in the 1st pic just feel like pimples that you can see through his coat, they eventually go down but not for a few days..
Brooke is such a cutie and i LOVE her name!:tongue:

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Aw thanks, her full name is Brooklyn Louise. lol I love the name Diesel for the boys, so fitting for a bully. Yeah Brooke's looked kinda like pimples too but she didn't ever get any under her fur, just on her lower tummy where it's pretty much just skin. You could try some neosporin or antibiotic ointment like that and see if they go away, if so then it's probably infection and if not then it's probably allergy.

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Gordis, Khalisie and a frenchy named Fry
Hello! Were new here and Ive just been looking around the site and getting used to how it works. Well i guess now is the time to post pics and issues that were having.. So the other day Diesel and I were outside playing in the grass. We normally are never outside long due to the temperature being in the high 90's but since it has dropped a little we have been outside more. :D I decided to take pics of what i "think" is our problem.This is my first bullie so i hope I don't sound dumb, just simply need a few experienced opinions. Its definitely not the food either because we had this problem before so we changed food and since the food change things have been good untill now.. My thought is that its a skin allergy to grass and im just curious if this is very common and how to make it go away and is benedryl OK for it..? Also remember reading about baby wipes.. do we wipe him down after hes been rolling in the grass?Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ThanksPaula & Diesel
1318095993.jpg
1318095952.jpg
1318097797.jpg
:welcome: to EBN!! Poor baby...have you have an allergen test done on him already? When Gordis get rashes like these on her legs and tummy it means she is allergic to something in the food. Thought I mention the allergen test because it will save you from a lot of guessing and worries plus it will indicate everything he's actuaaly allergic to.Hope this might help :welcome: once more

OP
Dieselbaby

Dieselbaby

Sep 1, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
No not yet. I have read about them through people posting on here.. So it will actually let you know what kind of allergies your dog may have.?. this would be great!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and Diesel is a cutie. He could be allergic to grass or something on it. You can also give benedryl, one mg. to one lb. of body weight. Also wiping him down when you come in may help also.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I didn't know about the doggy allergy testing. That might be a really good idea if you're unsure about what he's allergic to.

I know I'm allergic to grass and it makes me super itchy and uncomfortable..so I'm sure he's uncomfortable too if that's what he's allergic to.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
growing up we had a bulldog that was allergic to grass. Richard responed to this by getting welps between his toes and pads and he would chew and chew. My mom just made sure to wipe his paws down more often, especially after a mowing.

OP
Dieselbaby

Dieselbaby

Sep 1, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
It also makes him itchy, seems like its quiet common but we will definitely be looking into the allergy testing! I hate seeing the poor guy so itchy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It also makes him itchy, seems like its quiet common but we will definitely be looking into the allergy testing! I hate seeing the poor guy so itchy

Both my pups are allergic to all grass, molds and weeds. had the blood allergy testing done.. saved a lot of pain for them. They are both lbs and get mg benedryl twice a day and we do epsom salt foot baths once a week, and their paws are wiped each time we come in from being on the grass.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
def some kind of contact allergy .annie has this and will rub herself raw to the point of bleeding,ive tried so many different products ,she has been off grass and wool for almost a month now and her itching went for a week so i thought that that would be the end of it but no ,she started itching again ,im getting her spayed as this has coincided with her comming into season ,i too know its not food as shes raw fed so i know everything she eats,the only thing i have found to help with the itching is nappy rash cream i use sudacrem on her pits and tummy ,i hope you find out whats making him itchy ,its a minefield ,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
def some kind of contact allergy .annie has this and will rub herself raw to the point of bleeding,ive tried so many different products ,she has been off grass and wool for almost a month now and her itching went for a week so i thought that that would be the end of it but no ,she started itching again ,im getting her spayed as this has coincided with her comming into season ,i too know its not food as shes raw fed so i know everything she eats,the only thing i have found to help with the itching is nappy rash cream i use sudacrem on her pits and tummy ,i hope you find out whats making him itchy ,its a minefield ,karen

Oh my [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] : it must drive you crazy trying to figure it out! My Mable never had issues like this (she had dry skin which we used baths to battle) so this hive / allergy / skin conditions thing is all new territory for me. Poor little Annie! Must make you crazy trying to help her!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
it drives us all crazy watching her,i feel really sorry for her,1 week no itching then boom its back but worse,i only treat the symptoms now ,i know that once a dog is allergic to something they usually suffer all their lives unless its food related,after 1 month of not of no contact with carperts and her itching not really getting any better i let her in the lounge with us,well this morning she is just s total mess!!,boiling hot tummy covered in hives ,so the wool must make her worse ,perhaps we carry wool on our feet/clothes which is why she itches even when kept off the carpets?,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] - Poor Annie! Thank Goodness she has a family who cares so much. I feel for you - and Annie, of course~!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.