I will NEVER wait to neuter a dog in the future ...

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
So for those of you who don't know, I got Chunk at age 2 and not neutered. At the time I was not at all concerned about it but figured we'd do it sooner or later for his health. Well, he ended up having a problem with his prostate so we needed to neuter him asap. This has been quite a bumpy road. He did okay with the surgery (on the second attempt, the first attempt didn't work out because he needed to fast longer than normal dogs). But then he had swelling in the "sack" that was left behind. So he needed antibiotics, to be iced in his boy parts (3 times a day), to have very limited activity (basically only walking to go to the bathroom, no playing or running, not even up and down the stairs except for bed). Now, three weeks later, he has an infection. :eek: We are back to antibiotics and limited activity. This is troture. By the time we are done with these antibiotics it will be 5 weeks since surgery. All of this because he's an older doggie - puppies do MUCH better with the neuter because their boy parts haven't fully dropped. Not that I had a choice in doing it as a puppy since I didn't have him ... but this is a BIG lesson learned!!! :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So true... sorry Chunk is going through so much pain.. poor boy. Having been working with rescue, when the older dogs come in not spayed/neutered.. it is such a longer healing process for them.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor boy is having a heck of a time, and mama too. Hope he gets better soon. :hug:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I'm planning on getting Oliver and Sebastian done shortly after they turn a year. Hopefully they won't have any problems since I didn't get it done earlier.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Poor guy!! Hope he's better soon!! Ruckus was going to be neutered in Sept., but we ran into his poop issues so once were through this mess we can schedule. I wanted to do it when we got him @6months but was told to wait until 18-24 months because males need that testosterone. Great! Now I'm gonna be a nervous wreck about this .

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Thanks everybody. I'm pretty sure it's more bothersome to me than him ... since he's fast asleep on the couch right now with his new toy (Mommy felt badly for the vet visit - he was very upset because we had to hold him on his side to check the incision). [MENTION=2152]Kim Sebastian n Oliver[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1169]Piamitch[/MENTION] ... I don't think you have to worry ... the sooner the better but I think the biggest thing is that the longer they have their "jewels" the further they drop. When they neuter, the body tries to fill the empty space with whatever it can ... even infection and swelling. Soooo just do it as soon as your vet advises ... and keep them as still as possible after. You guys will be fine. :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm sorry that Chunk's going thru all this! Poor fella. I'm hoping this course of antibiotics will clear up the infxn and he'll be up and running again. Thanks for sharing this information with us too. Tate and Finn are getting neutered this coming Monday and i'm nervous about their recovery also.

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Gordis, Khalisie and a frenchy named Fry
So for those of you who don't know, I got Chunk at age 2 and not neutered. At the time I was not at all concerned about it but figured we'd do it sooner or later for his health. Well, he ended up having a problem with his prostate so we needed to neuter him asap. This has been quite a bumpy road. He did okay with the surgery (on the second attempt, the first attempt didn't work out because he needed to fast longer than normal dogs). But then he had swelling in the "sack" that was left behind. So he needed antibiotics, to be iced in his boy parts (3 times a day), to have very limited activity (basically only walking to go to the bathroom, no playing or running, not even up and down the stairs except for bed). Now, three weeks later, he has an infection. :eek: We are back to antibiotics and limited activity. This is troture. By the time we are done with these antibiotics it will be 5 weeks since surgery. All of this because he's an older doggie - puppies do MUCH better with the neuter because their boy parts haven't fully dropped. Not that I had a choice in doing it as a puppy since I didn't have him ... but this is a BIG lesson learned!!! :(
Poor ol chunk hope he gets better soon!! Hang in there :hug:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
WOW, poor Chunk! That has to be extremely irritating for him. Vegas was already neutered when we adopted him at 4.5 months. I would have done it as soon as we got him if he hadn't been. I hope he heals up quickly.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Awww poor Chunk. :( I hope it all gets healed up soon. That sounds like a royal pain. All of my pets have been neutered/spayed at an early age so I've never experienced this. Recovery time is just so much quicker the youngsters.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Hope Chunk recovers soon ... Ill be snipping Jack after the Holidays... Dont want to have him without his Jingle Bells during Christmas. (cough cough)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
AWWW poor old Chunk, I hope he feels better real fast.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
poor chunk,you know so many bully owners here in the uk shout from the rooftops regarding never get your bully fixed till they fully mature ,but ive always had them fixed at a young age to prevent these sort of problems,i havnt had annie done yet as i was hoping to let her have a litter but due to the allergy thing shes getting done,i think if a dog isnt being bred from then it should be fixed early but its all a personal thing,i hope chunk makes a speedy recovery,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.