Advice needed after food change ...

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Ok so Chunk's been on NVI Limited Ingredient Lamb now for at least 6 weeks ... I've seen some improvement in things like his paws are less red and his :poo: is DEFINITELY more firm. In fact, therein lies my concern. Now it seems as if he's constipated! He goes daily but he tries to go EVERY time we go out. (He used to just go morning and night.) And boy does he try!!! I've added pumpkin back into his diet ... does anyone know if there is anything else that will help regulate him more??? (He also JUST finished antibiotics 5 days ago ... thought maybe that was part of the issue but I feel like they would be out of his system by now.) He also seems like he's shedding more and itching his ears more, but they are pretty much as clean as they've always been. I just clean them more often now since he scratches and shakes more often (2-3 times a week instead of just once). Ohhhh doggggies.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know..I don't know much about food..especially compared to others here..:blush:.. But I remember reading, when I was studying SO hard for Jake and a food change..that some dogs treat lamb like chicken. In other words..IF your dog had issues with chicken..there is a possibility he will have some sort of problem with lamb. So..I have stayed away from trying lamb. It seems strange because sheep really don't resemble chickens!! :laugh:.. But it's apparently not unheard of.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok i have had this with sarah. i switch foods and some things clear up while others pop up. seems to kinda be a reoccuring problem with this food. when sarah was on it she seemed like she would try to go and it would be hard to get it out. and the poo was like a rock. depends on how long this has been going on. it may pass with the pumpkin and it may not. is there something that makes his poo softer like canned food or maybe green beans or something? my dogs get softer poo with canned food as do others in this forum. never thought id ever advise someone to feed something that makes poo softer.:laugh: watch the shedding and such could be just this time of year or could be allergy to food. long as he is still pooping thats good. well thats all my brain can come up with this late. sorry.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ughh!! Sounds like what I've been through with Ruckus. If you have no luck with the pumpkin, you could ask your vet for lactulose stool softner.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmmm. Thanks [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I think I'll tried a scoop of canned food with each meal! Maybe that will help. I'll discuss it with the vet too (he's due for his post-op ultrasound in about two weeks) and see what she says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have this problem occassionally with Vegas who is on NVI too. I add cut up apple a few times a week for his nightly snack, I think it works better than pumkin. I give him about a quarter of an apple.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Antibiotics kill bugs; both bad and good. Their immune system is its lowest at the end of them taking them. Add a heaping spoonful of yogurt, plain, fat free, to his kibbble to help build the good bio back up. I'm not convinced that Chunk has found his idea food from what you are saying but take it one step at a time.... get him regular first.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Just had a thought....... isn't canned pumpkin to help tighten them up when they have the runs?????? NOT loosen them up.???

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Just had a thought....... isn't canned pumpkin to help tighten them up when they have the runs?????? NOT loosen them up.???

I think I saw a post on here that it works both ways. That was the first thing our vet had us try.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys. [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] - that's a good suggestion. Thanks! [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]. I'm going to try the yogurt too. Do you know if it matters if it's Greek or regular yogurt? (I buy large amounts of Greek so it would just be easier but I can but regular too.) and I agree with you, I don't think this is his ideal food either. However, it's the only one we've tried that doesn't turn his :poo: to soft serve, which I'm thankful for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] - did the yogurt work? I put a scoop in the "breakfast" meal everyday already so keeping things regular is a side benefit for me....just curious how your baby is doing.

Yes. Being concerned about another dog's poop production probably puts me in the "Crazy Dog Lady" category....I'm ok with that.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
@Chunksmama - did the yogurt work? I put a scoop in the "breakfast" meal everyday already so keeping things regular is a side benefit for me....just curious how your baby is doing.

Yes. Being concerned about another dog's poop production probably puts me in the "Crazy Dog Lady" category....I'm ok with that.

It actually worked itself out before I even gave him any. Just got the yogurt last night and he was already pooping regular, thank goodness!!! Guess it took a while for the antibiotic to get out of his system. However, now we are back on. :( He has an infection from the neuter. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online