Skin issue - Hot spot, allergy, something else

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hi everyone,
I am so happy to have found this community. I have learned even more about the breed that I thought possible. Stella is our 10 month old sweetheart. We are having an issue with Stella's skin in one spot on her back between her shoulder blades and I was hoping someone may have some insight. I noticed that "allergies/mange/hotspots" are a recurring topic. What she has doesn't resemble anything else I've seen here. A little background, I got Stella from a great breeder in my area. He feeds his puppies Blue Buffalo chicken and rice with a little canned pumpkin which is what we kept Stella on when we brought her home at 9 weeks old. At around 6 months old she developed what the vet said was a hot spot. He shaved the spot and prescription powder neo predef and tetra (antibiotic/anti itch) for 10 day use. It improved and then came back several weeks ago. She also seemed generally itchy so I though that she developed an allergy to the chicken and began a slow switch from the BB to Fromm beef frittata. The spot still didn't look any better so then I switched to Fromm whitefish and potato thinking she was allergic to grains. I called the breeder for advice and he asked that we bring her by. He said she looked wonderful and that it looked like a little dermatitis and to try A and D ointment. We did, and it helped for a little while, and then not really. We've also tried coconut oil and neosporin. In the last 10 days we've tried the prescription powder from the vet and it hasn't helped. :*( We don't give table food. We did try watermelon as a treat earlier this summer, she loved it. But I think that she is allergic to that. Shortly after eating the watermelon she was doing a "biting at flies" episode that frightened us so much that we took her to the emergency vet. The ER vet said she was having an allergic reaction. After a shot of Benadryl she was much better. At the time we were unsure if she was bitten by a fly or something like that. A couple of weeks later we had watermelon again and she starting with the "biting flies" again and decided that she must be allergic. I just called my vet's office to check pricing on allergy testing - it's $360 (not sure if the office visit is even included in that). I've attached a few photos, one of the skin issue and then some cute ones to make up for the creepy factor of my poor girl's skin issue. Any input and advice would really be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0567.jpg
    DSC_0567.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 126
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 127
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Welcome :) !!! she is a sweetheart.. I have a couple of threads on here all about Duke's allergies.. Duke would get that exact hot spot ( actully in the same spot ) between the shoulder blades. I would come home from work and he would have it torn open til it bled :shout: I don't want to tell you the LONG story with his allergies but I would suggest having her tested.. I did EVERYTHING before I finally got Duke tested and he is allergic to wool? who would have thought? he also is allergic to some molds as well. but removing the wool helped a ton.. Now in your case it does seem she is sensitive to " diet" things so you could try food trials but I would just go find out.. we feed Duke NVI beef and lamb mixed and he does wonderful on it.. many many bullies have allergies and everyone handles differently but if I had to do it all over again I would have had Duke tested from the get go.. :) glad you joined and feel free to ask more questions! and Good Luck to you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How absolutely adorabull is she!! Love the blue/brown eyes too!

Welcome to the site -- it is very supportive and informational.

Allergies and yes, it is a hotspot. Listerine will help dry it up, but you need to shave it down too so it stays clean. The allergy test is expensive, but worth every penny as [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] said... it is just better all around to just find out than play the try this/try that game.

Good luck and keep us posted. and, definitely post more pics of that beautiful face!

OP
beachbumjen

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Thank you very much [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], 2BullyMama and Vicaroo1000!!!
Your babies are all gorgeous!!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
do you use frontline or advantix? just since it's between the shoulder blades, where the topical flea/tick prevention stuff usually goes, it could be a reaction to that as well.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
aWWW, Stella's such a pretty girl! I think Tate and Finn have a new crush:luv:
I am not much help on the skin issues but i've heard a lot of positive things re. allergy testing even tho it comes with a rather steep price tag.

Welcome to EBN!

OP
beachbumjen

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
@ Sarah, no we actually haven't used any flea treatment because I was afraid it would make the situation worse. We are at the beach everyday, so I feel a little crazy to not have used a flea treatment. But since she is white, I think we could see if she was walking home (or when she's lazy, being carried :ashamed:) with a "passenger"

OP
beachbumjen

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Thank you so much cali baker! Tate and Finn are such handsome boys!! I love that they are crushing on my Stell!!
Stella's heart is with her BFF/FWB Satchmo, our dear friends 90 lb chocolate lab :lmao:
You should see them together, it's the sweetest thing. They met 2 days after we brought Stella home and they are in loooooove!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,
There are so many skin conditions that Bullies have. Many have food allergies, seasonal allergies as well as was posted even allergic to wool or even plastic. Since it seems to be located only in one spot, my opinion would be that it is not related to a general overall condition, but rather a localized skin irritation.

A major question is what happens over time? Does it get better on it own, stay the same or get worse?
skin conditions are like troubleshooting (computer, network, car or other analagies), it is the process of eliminating what it is NOT, first, then start to track down what is left to consider.

Take you time, and give each change time to settle in before making other changes. Also, only make one change at a time.

Please update with changes,

Victorwood

Jan 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mhyca
Hi,
I think it's a hotspot. No worries. In my experience, I just put virgin coconut oil on the affected areas. It will dry up and hair continues to grow.

Thanks

Hope this helps

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.