Puppy sick

fonzy13

Oct 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Zero
Hey guys new to this forum. I recently got a 6 week puppy this weekend, took him to get shots & was told his breathing was congested. They told us he has pneumonia & we left him for treatment. Just seeing if any of you have gone through this & how the pups are doing?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hey guys new to this forum. I recently got a 6 week puppy this weekend, took him to get shots & was told his breathing was congested. They told us he has pneumonia & we left him for treatment. Just seeing if any of you have gone through this & how the pups are doing?

Don't say that your puppy was only 6 weeks old when you got him? Puppys should be with their mothers until 8 weeks. Absolute minimum is 7 weeks. A week is a long time in a puppys life.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I agree 6 weeks is far too young to be taken from his mommy and littermates!!! But, seriously hoping that he is going to be okay. Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum and when your baby comes home, please post lots and lots of pictures. We love pictures here

L

Lucy-licious

oh dear, I do hope your tiny baby pulls through, there are members who have had this experience let me think a minute....whats cali and bella's daddy called....ah [MENTION=1894]1badchicken[/MENTION].
I will pray that your little boy gets through this :pray: please keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to the site -- be sure to post some pictures and bully hags and prayers that your baby gets well soon.

Oh I so hope the 6 is a typo, way too young to be pulled away from the mommy.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Welcome to the site, this is a perfect place for all bully pawrents. there is a breeder here in town who almost always has a complaint about his puppies have upper respiratory infections which can progress to Pneumonia. Good luck with you little one. Hopefully you caught it early.

Please keep us posted. My concern is not only the age but that you have had him less than a week. Have you contacted the breeder about vet bills? Most have congenital clauses for reimbursements, however if you can prove he was sick before you purchased him, the breeder might help. Good luck.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Hello and welcome, I agree that puppies should stay longer with their mothers but,THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. The breeder should have known better both about the age and pneumonia. I just want to make it clear that you are not being blamed .I am glad you are with us and hope that your dear puppy get's better very soon. Please keep us updated and feel free to look around an join in any conversation you like. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome, I agree that puppies should stay longer with their mothers but,THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. The breeder should have known better both about the age and pneumonia. I just want to make it clear that you are not being blamed .I am glad you are with us and hope that your dear puppy get's better very soon. Please keep us updated and feel free to look around an join in any conversation you like. :)

Excellent point. I re-read my post and it does read that way. I apologize, this is really as [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] states, directed to the breeder.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi there. If you do a search on the topic, you'll find a few of the members here have gone through it with success with their puppies. All have left their babies in the hospital with the doctor, but I remember one particular pup who's breeder ended up taking her home and made great progress and healed very well. A lot better than when she stayed at the vet's.

I'll do a search and will let you know who that is.

Praying that your baby will be ok.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I knew what you , and everyone else meant :)

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,
As others have stated, 6 weeks is unacceptable for many reasons.
We do not let our puppies go until at least 9 weeks or more. Developmently and socially.
Puppies are born with immunities and gets more from the colostrum. There is a window in which these immunities wear off and the puupy shots are given. This is between 5 & 12 weeks which is why puppy shots start at 6 weeks to protect and require multiple series of shots for full imunization.

That will all be in the past now, but be sure to review what shots your puppy have received thus far and get fully vacinnated.

from internet:
Window of susceptibility
The age at which young animals can effectively be immunized is proportional to the amount of antibody protection they received from their mother. In the first weeks of a puppy's life, high levels of maternal antibodies present in the puppy's bloodstream block the effectiveness of most vaccines. With time, the amount of maternal antibodies in the puppy drops to a low enough level in the puppy that immunity (protection from disease) can be produced through vaccination. This usually occurs between five and twelve weeks of age. There is a period of time from several days to several weeks in which the maternal antibodies are too low to provide protection against disease, but too high to allow a vaccine to work. This period is called the 'window of susceptibility'. This is a time period when, despite being vaccinated, a young animal can still contract a disease.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I sure hope your pup pulls through this, it is very hard on them at that age. I would surely call your breeder and tell them about your sick pup. As everyone has said, that breeder should have never let that pup go at such a young age, 8 weeks minimum. Please keep us posted.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.