sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yikes! Poor doggy.

The patches of hair missing on your bully's back remind me of mange. Both of my bullies, Linus and Truman, had mange but a skin scrape is needed to confirm that. They were treated Ivermectin, which worked great.

Now the paws look like allergies to me. One thing I would note is that so many of the bullies on the board are allergic to poultry - did you think of trying another NVI formula? Many have had luck with Salmon and I use the Beef and Lamb.

Truman just also had a case of superficial pyoderma and did a round of antibiotics, plus special shampoo and is doing better now. That was likely due to a diminished immune system or allergies.

Ah, if it's not one thing with bully skin, it's another. I don't know if any of this is helpful at all!

It sounds like a trip to the vet is in order but keep us updated on how Bruin is doing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to call the vet to schedule an allergy test. They just take blood for that right? What's the allergy test where they have to poke your skin several times? Or is that only a human one :confused:

The allergy test is just blood work... tell them you want a full screen

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
hi i have Bugzy on Natures Variety Instinct-lamb meal because of his demodex when i switched him to this food he started getting better right away + antibiotics, what if u try a different flavor, i know my bully didnt do well with the duck flavor he started getting symptoms of demodex and when i quickly switched him back to lamb he was back to normal,

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke went through this as well for over 9 months.. I finally had him allergy tested both ways ( and something to add BEFORE you allergy test your dog they should be off EVERYTHING even benadryl for a certain amount of time or it could throw the test off) if they are on antibiotics WAIT before you test. a good dermatologist will give you a list prior to testing.. In any case.. we had Duke tested and he was highly allergic to wool and some molds, we had a lot of wool blankets around that he would lay on so getting rid of them helped a ton.. We also gave him fish oil that helped alot with his coat.. the paws are yeast and it comes from moisture too.. licking etc.. its so difficult but I would def make another trip to the vet..

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
hi i have Bugzy on Natures Variety Instinct-lamb meal because of his demodex when i switched him to this food he started getting better right away + antibiotics, what if u try a different flavor, i know my bully didnt do well with the duck flavor he started getting symptoms of demodex and when i quickly switched him back to lamb he was back to normal,

I'll try the lamb meal. Since NVI is considered a rotation diet, do you think I could switch without mixing? I have plenty of the duck left so as long as I go get the lamb soon, i can mix just in case.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
another thought have you tried soaking paws in epsom salt ?? that works well also

I have tried the epsom salt...he was a real pain in the butt for it. I've put some apple cider vinegar on cotton balls and just swabbed his paws with it....the redness went to a light pink and he doesn't seem to be licking as much as before. I still haven't gone to the vet yet. I will though. It seems like everyone ends up saying "I wish I just took him/her to get an allergy test sooner"...so I have to get that done.

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
[MENTION=322]AshleyWoodman[/MENTION] Personally i know your suppose to ease them into the new food, but i couldnt wait any longer i wanted him to be back to normal so i did it right away he had loose stool in the morning and by night it got better, and the next day his poop was back to normal, but if you want start mixing it so that he has more of the lamb and less of the duck you can, also they carry biscuit treats too, you can also buy a box of those and give him no more then 2 a day, so he can get use to the taste Bugzy loves those treats...
or you can put him on a rice and chicken diet, for a day or two and then start him on the lamb meal so that u no longer give him duck
i hope i was of any help, i know all Bullys are different but whatever worked for Bugzy i hope it can help another Bully too

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Bruin loooves the lamb biscuits!!!!! He wasn't too thrilled about the Rabbit though. I'm definitely going to try the Lamb meal!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Nvi is made to be switched between flavors easily so just switch back if you want you shouldn't have to mix it

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.