cherry eye question...

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Miila has cherry eye as I have posted already. I am giving eye drops which are to maybe lessen the swelling and see if it will help go down. Now most the time it is hidden away and can be gone for up to 2 days even but then it will slip out a little for a bit. My question is can it go away? At this point she has had it since we got her a week and a half ago or so and it is out of sight most of the time. Aside from asking a vet, how do I know if or when it needs surgery? We will have to have her spayed maybe in a month or so and would wanna know in advance what all needs done before this to try and do everything at 1 time if possible. I know we need to talk to the vet etc but was curious what everyone's opinions are here first, with everyone who has dealt with it before. Is it something that more than likely will need surgery or is there a high amount of cherry eyes that can heal up themselves or what?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm no expert on this but Finn had a cherry eye a few weeks back. I got all panicky about it but a few minutes later, it went away by itself. Then a wk later, it came back out, and I saw that you-tube video on how to push it back in, which I did, and it worked. Then it popped out again in a couple days, then I did the same thing. I think it happened one more time after that. I was also thinking I would need to have it looked at by the vet, but so far (and it's been about 4wks and knock on wood), it hasn't popped out again. I don't really have any advice for you except to say that if it does cont. to pop out every few days, I'd probably want to have the vet look at it and make an assessment.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
It depends Jenn... if there is still some swelling, then there is a chance it will stay in place, except perhaps an occasional pop out due to stress from playing hard or whatever. Some people are fine with the occasional need to massage it back in.

Really is your call when and if to do the surgery... sounds like you have another month to keep an eye on it if your considering having it done while she is getting spayed. I hear it doesn't hurt them when it is out, but it would seem like it would be more vulnerable to infections, but what I do know from experience is that tear production can be reduced when it is out, so if she gets to the point where it stays out often or for periods of time, I would think it would be best to have it taken care of.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When Stig first had it, we were able to massage it back in easily. It was only after a month or so that we noticed that it wasn't going back it for a lengthy period of time, if not, at all. That's when we decided to get surgery.

My vet told me that it was best to do the surgery the same day as a surgery/spay. It's not an emergency procedure, so you have some time to see if it's required.

Last edited:
OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Thanks you guys for your help. We actually havent had to massage it back in, it goes back on its own so far anyhow. Guess we will just play that famous waiting game. haha If we have to wait to have her spayed even before we know for sure that is better than having 2 surgeries imo anyhow. Good to know we dont need to rush and figure it out.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.