Sakes Alive! It's Our First Time with HIVES!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i use calamine lotion from time to time as she cant lick it off from her belly lol,annie is itch free for 2 weeks then bump back to itching ,she has been off grass and wool for 3 weeks now and just when i think shes over it she starts again,its so frustrating,im thinking its hormones so have decided to get her speyed,i wouldnt breed from her now as she may/may not pass it on and its just not fair on the pups or pups owners if they did develope the same thing,all i do now is treat the symptoms not much else i can do,even if i did let her have a litter she would itch,scratch and pups wouldnt stay on her long lol,karen

L

Lucy-licious

i use calamine lotion from time to time as she cant lick it off from her belly lol,annie is itch free for 2 weeks then bump back to itching ,she has been off grass and wool for 3 weeks now and just when i think shes over it she starts again,its so frustrating,im thinking its hormones so have decided to get her speyed,i wouldnt breed from her now as she may/may not pass it on and its just not fair on the pups or pups owners if they did develope the same thing,all i do now is treat the symptoms not much else i can do,even if i did let her have a litter she would itch,scratch and pups wouldnt stay on her long lol,karen

Its such a shame you can't seem to conquer her allergies, I hope the spaying works. I still havn't had Lucy done but only cos I'm worried about her having any operation. I'm such a wuss :lol:

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
you should really get her speyed if not breeding from her,bitches can get a lot of problems as they get older,im not worried regarding the op ,its better for her to be speyed,but its a personal choice,i suppose once shes speyed i wont get humped by her constantly and my legs wont look like im a battered wife lol,karen

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
.....and last night....BO HAD A CASE OF THEM! :eek: His started on his hind end and worked their way toward his front. His aren't anything like Bea's was - visually speaking - but he is a much more, shall we say, melodramatic patient than Lil Bea was. (Typical male! *DUCKS*) Yesterday, Bo went to his trail run for Day Camp so it could be ANYTHING that got his started. I suspect though, that his hives were on their way that morning. He was dancing around a bit - not a bump in sight - so I threw him in the tub for a flea bath. (God forbid the doggie camp people find a bug on him! Gasp!) By 6pm last night, he was in a full fledged hive attack. Three of Bea's pills and two 25mg Benedryl and he finally stopped groaning and rubbing on everything. Poor boy!

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Its such a shame you can't seem to conquer her allergies, I hope the spaying works. I still havn't had Lucy done but only cos I'm worried about her having any operation. I'm such a wuss :lol:

@Lucy-licious: I was the same way with Mable. She wasn't spayed out of my own fears. Her heats weren't that big of a deal - I barely noticed them actually - and I'm sure that was probably a side effect of her larger problem: her failing heart - which wasn't diagnosed until she was 5. I'd encourage you to find a vet you trust and go ahead with the surgery. Going to a reputable vet - get a referral - will make all the difference for you. I would venture to say, a life improvement for Lucy too. Some dogs go berserk when they are in heat. That can't be fun for them either. But I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. I waited a lifetime for Mable to come. I didn't want anything to take her away from me!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i got spayed at 36 and am fine lol lol,should have got spayed BEFORE having 5 kids he he ,karen

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks @ karenben + @Lucy-licious - my grandmother was a huge fan of Calamine lotion too. I remember having pink dots all over me and my little brother during mosquito season out there in the high desert country of Eastern Oregon!

So - just an update to this continuing saga, "As The Hive Turns...Red"....
Last night and this morning, Bo is doing this "Stevie Wonder" move. In retrospect, he was doing it the morning before he went to Day Camp for the first time too. I tried to capture this on video - but no luck. It's best described as what Stevie Wonder does while he's singing and playing; head slightly back, rolling motion of head bobbing.... If there were a bug flying around the back of Bo's head and he was trying to watch it...like that too. This morning, he's Stevie Wondering - not constant; but intermittently - and here come the hives again. I see them popping out on his sides - nothing like Bea had and certainly nothing like he had with his first outbreak. This is probably because I gave him two 25mg benedryl last night too. I just popped two more into him. Like someone else's dogs here (speechmom53 or 2bullymama ?), when Bo hears that pill bottle rattle, he comes running!

At this point, I'm going to blame the food for now - since I don't know what else to do. Nature's Logic Lamb & Rice is going to be replaced (using the four day method) with Nature's Variety Instinct - hopefully, one of the new limited ingredient varieties that is NOT chicken based (gas).

This is fun eh? *snork*

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.