Judy is in heat

Judydog

Oct 1, 2011
My wife and I have never had a dog in heat before. Judy is 10 months old and started spotting today. Any tips on how to care for her during time of need. Also how long does this last. Thank you for helping.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can buy pads and pants at petstores, but I just line their bed with disposable pads or washable towels. They are pretty crabby while in heat and welcome the quiet place to just nap. Wipe her girl parts everyday with baby wipes to keep clean, I also add malectic octic to my wipe to help with that. Don't use soap, if you don't rinse it all away it can cause yeast infection. The heavy bleeding is the first week. Tapers off and they continue for up to 3 weeks. Keep all male dogs away from her during these 3 weeks!!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
The first time my female was in heat she bled heavily but it has become lighter since then. She became rather sad and quiet and did not want to walk much. Her appetite also decreases but all these symptoms pass after 3 weeks the last week is only light spotting. Dog panties did not stay on so instead I just kept her in her pen lined with towels and wiped the girl bits frequently. I allowed her to go in the back yard but did not let my males have any contact with her, which I find is the hardest part because she's use to hanging out with her brothers. She may be cranky and her girl parts will become puffy, some more than others. My girl goes into heat every 6 to 7 months. Welcome and when you can find the time we like to show off our fur babies.

4caff1b1-5f4e-b4e2.jpg

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

What everyone else already said, and snuggles. Lucy was cranky but still wanted to snuggle.

:welcome: BTW

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes that pretty much covers it but you can use dog panties. i used the washable ones and hooked them through sarahs harness to keep them on as she gets on the couch and sleeps with us in bed.03302010021.jpgi also have given her low dose 81mg aspirin when i could see she was feeling bad. and i cannot stress enough to keep males away. they will come out of the woodwork. even fixed males will try to get her.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't think I can add anything at all to what has been said above. We got our new foster Tinkerbell a couple of weeks ago. She hasn't been spayed and came in heat the second day we had her. I use washable towels and blankets for her bedding.

A lot of dogs would clean themselves but bulldogs can't usually reach down there so just keep the baby wipes at hand and keep her clean. We use the fragrance free, sensitive kind that we also use on wrinkles.

I did find out something new after getting Tinkerbell ... she has become incontinent!!! We were unsure if it was a UTI or if it was because of her age (she's 10 1/2!!!). The rescue managed to contact the previous owner and found out that she had always been incontinent when she came into heat. The vet then confirmed that this was possible, but not usual. I had never heard or experienced that before. I'm not saying for one minute that Judy will do this, but it's just a little fact that I thought I would share!

Polotat

Jul 9, 2011
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Duffy
I am glad I read this thread! My Duffy is heat for her first time....she will be 7mths on 10/17. She is so not herself. She just started bleeding a day and a half ago. Today she would not come out of her kennel all day, and she won't eat or drink. She just wants to sleep. When I did get her out, she followed me around til I stopped then plopped on the floor on top of my feet. We tried pull ups and diapers but they did not work. I found one of my daughters old 18 mth old onsie's with spaghetti straps. I put it on her and hooked it to her harness, lined it with one of my pads, and voila! It works like a charm, and she looks so cute in the little jumper. I was worried that I may have to take her to the vet but after reading above comments I know now that this is just what she will go through. This is my first time with a dog in heat so I was not sure. Thanks to you all for helping me figure it out!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.