Hot spots or Food allergies??? HELP

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Gordis, Khalisie and a frenchy named Fry
First I would like to thank everyone before hand.
My Gordis has these areas on her body that are now healing since I took her to the vet this past wed. it's not the first time, these spots have been occurring on and off since summer started my vet (Dr.Butchko) says they are hot spots. But could they be allergies to the food? What food do you recommend for bulldogs with sensitive skin. And she is the only one with the spots I've included some photos to show the areas and she scratches a lot. I would like to prevent them if I can.

---

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317603622.003683.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317603622.003683.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 158
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317603727.674971.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317603727.674971.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 135
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317603818.897893.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317603818.897893.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 132
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317604315.202797.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317604315.202797.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh my.... have you gotten a full blood screen allergy test done? That is not a hotspot... it seems to be food issues. Get the blood test done and you'll know for sure

OP
Twinklrtoes1610

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I'm getting the results tomorrow (Monday) hope everything is fine she was miserable with all the itching but after the vet visit she sleeps threw the night and hasn't scratched since.

---

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hot spots are seeping and look like blood and puss mixed and are very moist. Looks like she has been shaved to help dry out the moisture, right? Hot spots are usually caused by an allergy or stress. Good idea to get an allergy test done, this looks like a pretty bad case.

A good food can help eliminate these as well because you really need to boost the immune system as much as possible to prevent reoccurrence. Does she have dermatitis as well? It looks like it from what I can see. She probably needs antibiotics but the antibiotics will also lower the immune system so good food and supplements are very important.

Last question, what food do you feed her currently?

OP
Twinklrtoes1610

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] yes she was shaved to let them heal and now it's pretty dry and hair is re growing and I'm feeding RC Bulldog Formula is this a good food or should I look into changing it? What food do you recommend I would change the food in a heart beat if it help her with these she is my only bulldog with this condition and as for the dermatitis I won't know until later on today.

---

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
There is a section of this site devoted to food. There is a rating chart there to show what foods have been found to be good for bullies. Since every bully is different no one can recommend a food that will work for your bully; its a hit or miss, trial and error thing. Most important is when you make a change, make it slowly over several days or even a couple of weeks. Bullies tend to have sensitive tummies and if you change too quickly it upsets them and diarrhea is a result. Go slowly!! Grains are a major culprit for allergies in bullies so I'd start off with a kibble that is grain/gluten free. Chicken as an ingredient is bad for some bullies so you may find that a chicken free as well helps, but personally I wouldn't eliminate chicken just yet because it greatly limits your choices. Two brands that many here have had a lot of success with are NVI and Fromm. Im not saying that either of those will work for your bully but it would be a place to start.
Please let us know what the results of the tests are.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Your poor baby! Looks like she has had a rough time of this. I agree with the food change, it would be a great start. They never tell you that it could be food at the vets unfortunately. When I first got my Cutty years ago he had a small line that almost looked like a stretch mark on his shoulder where there was no fur. Dr. Buthcko said it was an allergy and gave me a shampoo to treat it. I used it and used it and it never went away. I thought nothing of it until later I learned that eukanuba is a crappy food and I changed. Guess what that line disappeared and havent seen it since. Every once in a while Cutty gets almost spots on his head of hair loss but you really cant tell. I see it and know it is something to do with food. It goes away when I switch. Right now he has them and I think it is from the beef in the fromm grain free beef fritata I fed. Think I will be sticking with the fromm surf and turf from now on cuz he turns more pink with the beef also. This is a long road and your baby has it bad. I agree the testing may save you a lot of headaches down the road if you do it now.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
PS: Don't let the Vet sell you some super duper special food that only he sells. You wouldn't believe how many times that happens with very limited results. Vets just aren't that up on food, especially for bullies.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
You said you're getting the Allergy test results later today...? Wait to see what food(s) she is allergic to and pick a brand of Kibble that doesnt have those foods.... and I agree with what [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] suggested... Dont buy the food at the vets.. You can do much better (quality wise AND price) on your own..... Check out [MENTION=3228]Petflow[/MENTION].com .. Good Luck and let us know what the results read....

HuddysBuddy

Mar 14, 2011
Columbia, Pa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
This may not be it, but Hudson has something very similar. It started with him at about 6 months and we thought it was allergies at first. After trying many thing we saw Dr London at our vet and he said since there isn't any break out on his underside and it was where Hudson gets touched (neck, back, head) that it probably isn't food allergies. We had a blood test done and he has a skin immune deficiency. Antibiotics clear it up (so he said it can't be allergies) and we have to bathe him 3-4 times a week to keep bacteria off his skin so he doesn't break out. This may not be it, but it is an option to look into. Good luck and I hope he gets better!

Here is a picture of Hudson's skin (he is the brown one in the foreground):

2011-09-08_11-29-41_530.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes I'm getting the results tomorrow (Monday) hope everything is fine she was miserable with all the itching but after the vet visit she sleeps threw the night and hasn't scratched since. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Checking in on the test results? How is your baby doing?
---

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I would like to have a test done on Jack.
By process of food elimination, I've found he is not necessarily allergic to chicken but it definitely was giving him a few red bumps on his hind legs... However, getting an allergy test would be a good thing to have just to confirm my belief.

Is an allergy test expensive ? How much would I expect to pay ?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would like to have a test done on Jack.
By process of food elimination, I've found he is not necessarily allergic to chicken but it definitely was giving him a few red bumps on his hind legs... However, getting an allergy test would be a good thing to have just to confirm my belief.

Is an allergy test expensive ? How much would I expect to pay ?

we paid between $125.00 - $150.00. Believe me, I wish I knew about it the day we picked up Nitschke. What that poor bully went through for the first year.. we were treating him for tumy issues... which is usually chicken/rice... well, after the aleergy test, we found out the reall issue .. he is HIGHLY allergic to rice. UGH! Once that was out of the picture no more vomitting or runny poo. The test is worth every penny.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Ouch, poor guy. I decided to get the allegery testing done on both my boys back in July not because they were having any problems but because I didn't want to play a guessing game. I got the results in the mail about 10 days later. Wilson is allergic to chicken, pork, rice and soybean. Jack's allergic to eggs and rice. The report was about 5 pages and also included grasses, molds, etc. It was $$ well spent. My test cost $195 each. Hope your baby gets better soon.

OP
Twinklrtoes1610

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all the great advise I called DrButchko today and the result are in My poor baby is allergic to chicken, rice, beef pork and fleas. She is on a chicken and rice diet that I was told to give her by DrButchko because she wasn't eating due to the intense itching and had lost 6 pounds well he told me ton take her off the rice and chicken and to start her on a new dog food formula I just got off work and I'm on my was to Global pet food outlet in Torrance and they sale high grade foods any advice on a brand I'll make sure it's free of all the about ingredients and as for the fleas we already new she had the allergy to them her breeder told us it might be a 85% possibility do she has been on Advantage plus since she was 3months
Thanks everyone hope some one gets back to me soon on the brand. Hopefully this solve this problem within my family. :) so hopeful and I she will be more happy when it's all over. And she hasn't scratched since she's on the antibiotics. Fingers crossed!!

---

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.