Red, blotchy muzzle

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
I notice that at night (after romping with the kids) Tuffy's face gets very red and blotchy (not related to his chin acne.) But after quiet time it goes back to being relatively white. Is this just blood circulating to his face and a normal thing or can this be an allergy related thing?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be heat rash? Our human son gets these. We changed his shampoo and for two months he would get heat rash eveytime he got sweaty. Then some folks suggested I give him a vinegar bath, and then I changed his shampoo. Needless to say, he is much better now, but he still gets a little bit red and bumpy if he is too hot, but nothing like before.

So my point- is yes it could be allergy related, as my son was hghly allergic to that shampoo....

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
"Maximus" had the same problem when I first got him in May. When the Vet asked "What's wrong with his face?" I knew there was a problem. The problem was "Allergies". He was having allergies to the food he was being fed by the breeder. Ever since I changed his Diet to a GRAIN-FREE diet and reduced his Gluten intake, his face has improved significantly. I think all bulldogs have a little bit of Pink or redness to their muzzle area, but Max would get beet red at times, usually in the evening, and I didn't know what was going on. He's much improved since his diet has been changed.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We are trying GF Fromm right now with Jesse, doing great so far-- :)

OP
Kimrisa

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Had to roll my eyes about the comment about "What's wrong with his face" because my vet also said something along those lines. Isn't it great when our vets are as clueless as we are?! What grain free kibble do you have Maximus on? Tuffy's face is usually beet red by the end of the day too. The vet has him on anothe round of Cephalexin because he now has several big flareups on his muzzle and it's getting worse each day. But I'm definitely going to change foods because I know it couldn't hurt. Plus I heard Ester C is good for building up the immune system.

I also like Fromm so that's a consideration!! Glad to hear that Jesse is doing well!!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
you can tell Horse's activity level by what color his face is. He is basically all white with a few brown spots here and there, but whenever he is worked up/tired/hot/humpy/or stressed his face is red. So, I would look at what color Tuffy's face is when he wakes up, and then go from there. A food change also drastically changed Horse's coloring (red all the time->white most of the time). I feel like a red face after playing is completely normal, as long as it isnt red all the time.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.