Puppy Diarhea

kakeihn56

Oct 2, 2011
We have a 5 month old female bully that developed severe diarhea early in the week last week. I came home from my 3rd shift job to puddles of poop throughout the carpeted hallway and family room. Overnight stay for treatment and observation to the vets was the next step. Picked her up Weds morning and following the vets advice: (1) 1 graduation of diarsanyl, twice daily-helps to control diarhea (2) 250 mg of metronidazole, once daily-GI antibiotic (3) Purina Veterinary Diets EN canned food-fed small amounts frequently and exclusively for two days. After this, we are not seeing much improvement. She is currently eating Life's Abundance kibble but am open to suggestions and advice. I might add that our 1 1/2 yr old puggle is not experiencing same problems as Bella.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I am so sorry to hear about your baby! I don't have anything to offer here except wishes your bullie is better SOON. There are others here with TONS of experience to share - and they will. Hang in there [MENTION=3366]kakeihn56[/MENTION]!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
life's abundance is a good kibble but probably not the best for bulldogs as it contains grains and chicken, two things that are common allergies for bulldogs. it also has yeast and chicken fat which are healthy items but can cause bloat, so that's an extra thing to watch for. purina is junk, not sure what the difference is in the vet diet formula...pepto bismal can help in the short term for diarrhea, and many on ebn use canned pumpkin (real pumpkin, not pie filling) to stop it also. in addition you could try a bland diet of cooked rice and boiled hamburger until her tummy settles. i'm assuming your vet tested for parasites or infection.

Last edited:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I agree with Sarah, the canned pumpkin works wonders. And alot of bullies have issues with chicken and grain. Mine get diarhea bad when they were on foods with those ingredients.

OP
K

kakeihn56

Oct 2, 2011
Yes, the vet did blood work and everything came back to their satisfaction. I wonder the dosage on the Pepto Bismol for a 30 lb pup? Was looking here at best dog foods for bullys and see there is one called Fromm ? I will be looking into that soon!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Brooklyn (my bulldog) is 34 lbs and I gave her half of the human dosage, which was what my vet recommended when she had terrible diarrhea after her spay. And yes fromm is a great food and the people who have had success with it love it. But still no one food is perfect for all of our bullies. I use natural balance which is a bit easier to find in stores. Natures Variety Instinct is also a great food that a lot of bullies do well on and they have just started carrying it at PetCo too. So lots of options. There a lot of food advise on this site if you just search around.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson had terrible diarrhea during his teething stages. Hope your little guy/girl gets back to normal soon. Canned pumpkin really helped stiffen his stools, so did a food change. We started Wilson on Wellness for Puppies when we got him at 8 weeks and then switched to Blue Buffalo Life Protection as he had loose stools. He's been on adult food since 4 months too. Finding the right food may take a few times but it's worth it. I prefer a good quality food that I can get at the store, but that's just me. His stools got back to normal when he finished teething and the food he's one now.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Sounds like you already got great advice. My only experiance with diahrrea is with my Bella and it is a life long congential condition.
But a bland diet and pumpkin is used by many here. Hope you get your answers soon.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some good advice already, finding the right food is a challenge, but hang in there, it just takes time. Also the pumpkin does work very well and they love it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online