Hopefully We Have Found a Solution....

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Ok, I was fed up with Roxi breaking out in hives so off to a new vet we went...I have heard nothing but great things about this vet and everyone that has gone to her absolutely loves her! So, I took the plunge!

Roxi has recurring breakouts of hives *(since about April 2011)...there is no rhyme or reason to them. The hives just randomly appear all over her back! In the beginning I assumed it was from seasonal allergies. Well, no real relief came with giving her benadryl, zyrtec, chlorpheniramine. The runny nose, watery/red eyes seemed to go away when on those meds but the hives would take about a week to a week and a half to go away! So, three steroid shots later I said enough is enough and even conisdered changing her food (she is on Nature's Logic). But I honestly didn't think it was a food allergy. She showed no signs of food allergy so I finally decided to stick with Nature's Logic (which the vet agreed was the right choice)

Anyway....so, today at the vet... I have never been more impressed in my life! :lol: She knew exactly what what going on the minute we stepped in the doors! She believes Roxi over produces histamine and her body isn't able to to recover from the last bout of overproduction which causes her recurring outbreaks of hives.

The vet is completely against steriod shot (unless absolutely needed) so we were given some liver enzymes (Hepar Tablets 1 pill for 30 days) and CoEnzymeQ to aid the liver in filtering toxins (ie. histamines) and act as an antioxidant to help her little body recover and hopefully not react to the histamine that is being overproduced. We were also given an Apis-Homaccord/Lymphomyosot cocktail to give to Roxi if needed for a breakout. (she didn't think it would be needed though).

As the title of this thread says...Hopefully, we have found the solution to this ongoing problem. I plan to keep a journal of the next 30 days to see how things progress.

Oh and by the way....she sells Nature's Variety and Nature's Variety Instinct and the LID formulas! Although Roxi doesn't eat that I was extremely impressed that she sold a good food!

You can google her name if you want (P.J. Broadfoot). She has some literature that is pretty interesting.

I hope this works and I will try to update at least once a week until the pills are gone!

Here is a picture after the vet visit waiting on me to get finished studying! She weighed in at 39.7 lbs today! Can't believe my baby is already 15 months old!:luv:

IMG_0961.jpg
PS-- She looked at her legs as well and said there were no issues...She must have sprained something being that she is so active (update from thread: Leg Popping and Slight limp).

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am so glad that you found a vet that you like and trust! That is just so hard. THANK YOU for posting that sweet picture of Roxi. She is so dang cute :)

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I love hearing good vet stories. I love my vet and my boys are always excited to go in there. The entire staff just adores them. Oliver went in today and right away they knew he wasn't feeling good. He wouldn't even get up when Dr. Bauer came into the exam room, just laid there pretending to still be sleeping, so she got down on the floor with him and did her exam that way. He weighs 62 pounds at 9 months and she cautioned me about letting him get any heavier.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
wish i had a good vet story :cry:

oh and I love her adorable face

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great news.... there is no better feeling than trusting your vet and knowing the know the breed and care about what they do

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
a good vet makes all the difference, glad you found one and love the pic of Roxi, she is so cute.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Roxi's such a doll!

I'm glad you found what sounds like a wonderful vet. I'm impressed she carries high quality food too. That's a good sign!:up:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh that is so good and I can't wait for the updates on roxi as she gets better

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Just when you think you've heard everything an english bulldog can have/get...here comes another thing. I am always happy when any vet opts for steroids as a last resort.

Great pic! What a doll baby.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
So rare to have a good feeling when you leave the vets, or at least for me it is. You are lucky and fortunate to have found a good one! Great pic too! :)

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
[MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] I actually don't have any pictures (sorry). But I will tell you this, her bumps were about dime to nickel in size and red. Some would even ooze a little bit and then scab over. I found this picture online and this is the best depiction of what they looked like. Roxi's back was covered in them. I hope you and your baby get some relief soon because I know how stressful it is. Try giving Chaos a bath in cool water. Just rising for about 10-15 minutes and I even tried vinegar too. I just put some in a cup and then dabbed it on the areas with a washcloth.
Keep me updated on little Chaos!
570.jpg

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
[MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION]- how has it been going with the new meds? Were they expensive? What you described sounds just like what we've been going through w/ Jackson. He's basically had hives since we got him mid-July. We've switched him over to better food and his hives are still going strong. I'm going to talk to the vet about what I've read here. Thanks for the info.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.