Puppy Acne.

Dayna524

Sep 4, 2011
South Bend,IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci
I am fairly new just got the tapatalk so I could show off my photo loving bully. This everyone, is Gucci. 10 months of spoiled rotten bulldog. Hopefully I have figured out the pics.

Has anyone had issues with puppy acne? He plays so rough he breaks them open and bleeds everywhere. I just started hydrogen peroxide yesterday per my vet. No signs of improvement yet.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317312105.823748.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317312105.823748.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 153
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317312204.711597.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317312204.711597.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 139

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN..... Gucci is darling! Some if not most of that breaking out is from either being wet chinned all the time or allergies.... or both. Try to keep her face as dry as you can by wiping after she drinks and wash and dry her face after eating. Allergies is much more complex and may be related to her food. What are you currently feeding her and for how long?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
And if it is actually bulldog acne (Bea gets it - Bo doesn't), we got some GENTLE STRIDEX pads on, I believe, Bruce's recommendation....was that you, Bruce? I can't remember now.... It helps!

OP
Dayna524

Dayna524

Sep 4, 2011
South Bend,IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci
Thank you! He just got switched back to taste of the wild bison flavor. It seems to make his tear stains disappear. I've tried a few different. With 3 dogs it's hard to find 1 they all do their best with. This seems to be it. The main problem is his blood is giving my other dog a rash :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You'll also, if you are not, want to use stainless steel bowls. the ceramic and plastic can add to the problem.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I fought this hard in Gator AND am still (sort of) keeping it at bay for Gypsy. I have tried everything under the sun! It is very common so don't worry. What has worked for us is stainless bowls that I wash after every single meal. They rub their chins on the bottom when they eat and get bacteria that way. I also use the Stridex Gentle (that was me [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]). I use it at night if they look good but twice a day if she gets a flare up. Also, be sure to dry her chin after she drinks as that can cause/make it worse. I also put some neosporin on them when they break open. Twice a day. I, personally, think Gator grew out of it. If they look swollen or gross, then they could be infected and a round of antibiotics is needed in that case.

Good luck! That is one of our challenges too and I know it is frustrating.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I am suprised about the hydrogen peroxide suggestion by your vet, not that I am doubting him. But as a nurse I rarely see orders for hydrogen peroxide on skin. The old school surgeons still order it, or we use it for ear lavages. However, I am new to the world of bulldogs and still have a lot to learn. Is this a common treatment?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
We've been thru puppy acne too and found that the mal-a-ket wipes helped quite a bit. It's a combination antibacterial/antifungal. Ask your vet about it!

OP
Dayna524

Dayna524

Sep 4, 2011
South Bend,IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci
Thank you so much for all the wise advice. The hydrogen peroxide was a crappy suggestion. I thought it was helping it's not I think they look worse today. I'm going to get the stridex asap. I have the drink well water filter bowl thing. He actually won't even drink out of the bowl he only drinks from the stream lol. When I'm home he wipes his face on me so it gets dry from my pants. I will try that. If worse comes to worse I have antibiotics from when he had a bout of diarrhea a 5 months back that was due to blue buffalo voluntary recall. Switched food stopped. These issues are like playing a puzzle game...just not fun. Thanks again everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions