Hello all! New member here and lots of questions...

Keith Burke

Sep 1, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maverick
Hi everyone, my name is Keith and I have a 5month old bulldog who is everything to my fiance and I. We treat him like he is gods gift to man (well its cause he is). i wanted to join this forum because at 5 months old hes already been through so much. He is currently being treated for demodectic mange but we have been very diligent and our hard work is paying off he had one negative skin scrape today, and is looking alot better.
New issue to add to his problems is a possible torn ACL, I want to know if I should put him on some glucosamine/chondroitan or any other supplements. We are trying so hard to have a healthy bulldog pup but keep getting these setbacks and he is literally on the verge of making us go broke. With all that said im glad to be on the forum and look forward to talking to everyone and enjoying the greatest breed of dogs out there.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Keith. What's your little fella's name?

Sorry to hear about all the trouble. Good food is your number one defense against health problems, but it can be a challenge to find the right one for your guy.

And lastly you will learn quickly around here that we LOVE pics and any introduction thread without them like this is :pics:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: [MENTION=3135]Keith Burke[/MENTION]!!! So glad you found us!!!

Sorry that you have already had so many issues with your bully already. Two weeks after getting Maggie she broke her right front leg and had to have surgery. After all that we thought it would be that leg that would give her problems later, and it may well be the case. However, at 3 years old we've been told that her two back legs after loose joints at the knee and our vet recommended "Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM". The vet was going to give us a bottle of 150 for about $75 but I found it on Amazon.com for approx $65. So I would certainly go with Amazon - will work out a lot cheaper. I've actually started a thread on it to find out if any other bully owners had used it and those who answered said it was ok. It's worth a try .............

Please ask any other questions you may have, and browse through the many subjects that we all cover on here. No question or problem is too small!!

You will discover, however, that it is often the food you feed your bully that is at the root of most problems and solutions!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We are so glad to meet you! What is your bulldog's name? Do you have pictures to share? We are a bit photo obsessed around here :). Please feel free to jump right in!

I have some experience with mange and am glad to hear that you have had a negative scrape. I hope the hair comes back quickly. I give wild salmon oil for the mange for two reasons. One, to help support her immune system to be able to fight off the mange (and prevent it from returning). The second is that it is so good for their coat and it has really helped her hair to not only grow back, but to be very soft and healthy.

I don't know anything about a torn ACL but there are lots of people here with experience with that. I hope that isn't the issue but if it is, I wish him a speedy recovery!

They are expensive to care for, but as he grows and you take care of his issues, it will get better. Plus, you can't put a price on the love this breed gives.

I am glad you are here. I hope you will share stories of your little man.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oh poor little fella! Well, I believe you came to the right place. There are tons of people here who know english bulldogs pretty well, some of them run rescues and they have experience in a gamut of medical issues... unfortunately, I'm not one of them. :( I just got my bulldog myself and first thing I did was change his food. My Bullie is pretty awesome and so I can understand your sentiment about them being God's gift to man. :D

Yes, we would love some pictures of the little guy!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I don't have experience with mange or ACL issues but I'm sure someone will come along who does and yes a some of us feel the money pinch but we love our bulldogs so much we do everything within our means and beyond.

4caff1b1-49e9-73aa.jpg

Alicia M Kouw

Aug 15, 2011
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey and Louie
I would for sure let where ever you got your puppy from know that you puppy has mange, because it comes from the parents one or both had to of had it before, and after they have had mange you aren't supposed to breed that dog because it gets passed on to the puppies. The breeder should know so they can not breed those dogs anymore. I had a pug/poodle mix before that had this it is expensive to treat but if you get to it early enough you can get it taken care off, You are going to have to have him neutered too so that this don't happen to another pup. One negative skin scrape is a good sign :) I wish you all the best and happy to have you here!! I understand the money issue but when it comes to my bullies i would do anything for them just like my kids!! They love and loyalty they give in return more than makes up for the expense. I do agree that finding the right food is crucial, only the best!! Good luck with everything and can't wait to see pics :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. I sure hope someone here can help you with the ACL problem. Bullies can be a challenge but it usually gets better as they mature. We all would love to see pix of your baby... we looooove baby bullies. ;) Did you get any kind of guarantee with your puppy? Some breeders guarantee the health of the pups they sell. Also as someone mentioned above, Diet is so important to these dogs. What are you feeding (name?)?,,What is its name anyway?
Hope you find what you need here on EBN and feel free to ask questions and join right in.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hello and welcome to the forum. dont have experience with mange but do have with torn acl. sarah had one when we first got her that was just left for i dont know how long. we had surgery to repair it and she has a limp today. good food is a must. sarah regained some muscle that was lost with just leaving it with a better food. i will tell you my experiecne with both joint meds and wild alaskan salmon oil. i had sarah on joint meds for a couple of years. she was ok on them but still had a pronounced limp. i put her on wild alaskan salmon oil and she improved so much that i stopped giving her the joint meds. (plus the price for both was kinda alot) she is doing just fine on the salmon oil. much better movement and all around mobility. not saying dont try joint meds but this is just my experience with it.
pics please we love pics around here. i hope things get better.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi Keith,
Welcome to the group of over-the-top-crazy-about Bulldogs. There are lots of posts to read in many of the different areas and you are strongly encouraged to read lots of them. There is a thread of just dog food brands and ratings to consider what to feed. It is important to feed a preimum brand, but not necessarily the most expensive. If you switch, switch slowly. Read the thread about that one.

There are also thread about Demodex mange/mites that you are encouraged to read as well.

I have had a puppy that had a terrible case when she was 4 months old. I treated it with Panacure, Benzo-peroxide shampoo, Cephalexan (sp?) and after about 4-6 weeks it started to grow back. I have since learned of another GREAT skin/hair product that I STRONGLY suggest. It is called Nu-Stock and it is available from Amazon for about $15. It has been around for 45 years and is commonly used in horses, but works wonders on dogs and cats. Get that and follow direction for much quciker recovery, along with the other items from vet.

You will find that all of us have an opinion about everything and you are encouraged to make your own decisions and consult with your vet, a second opinion is always good since not all vet agree on everything. I have 3 vets that I use and consult with them all.

Pics are good,
Have a good day,

OP
K

Keith Burke

Sep 1, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maverick
197813_2016214318108_1026331986_1880938_8035530_n.jpghey all heres a couple pics of our puppy the black and white is him at about 3 months, the color pic is from the other day. His name is Maverick. Thanks for all the suggestions im going to try a few things and hopefully get him nice and healthy again. 305104_2138638098626_1026331986_2021714_1014278346_n.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG... he is ador-a-bull!! Great name for him too. So, welcome - this is a great place for all your bully needs and I agree with all the others - diet is SO important with this breed. Be sure to read the list of recommended foods here on EBN it is very informative and you will see a few surprises.

Now for the AC, my boy Nitschke had two replacements on his right back leg. The first happen when he was playing with his buddy Basta (Cane Corso). He would not put his leg done at all, took him in to find he had a complete tear. About 6 weeks in, we noticed he started lifting it again and it just did not seem right.. turned out it did not take, another tear in the repair. For the second surgery we went with a cadaver instead of the line and he was good as new and doing great.

The glucosamine/chondroitan is a great start to help with the joints. Good luck and keep us posted.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
What a great pup! Thanks for the pictures..so glad you found us and I think you will find a lot of help here. mange is a tough problem..but unfortunately a common one. I think you've got some great suggestions and remember how important the right food is for your guy!

mosca72

Jul 15, 2011
New Westminster BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Besito
View attachment 11937hey all heres a couple pics of our puppy the black and white is him at about 3 months, the color pic is from the other day. His name is Maverick. Thanks for all the suggestions im going to try a few things and hopefully get him nice and healthy again. View attachment 11938

Great puppy I can see that he has strong personallity. I have not experience neather of the two but I can tell you if you start actually looking for the right food for him that will help him a lot also to your packet. I noticed that he has some problems with his tears to help improve you can use Zincofax is a cream for the paper rash and it works believe me I use it on Besito and he does not suffer with it any more. What are you feeding him?
32627b37-5703-e86d.jpg

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online