Hello, New here and to Bullies

Soon2bBullyMom

Aug 21, 2011
Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Hello Everyone,
I am new here and to the English Bulldog breed. I am not new to dogs though, I have been involved with Great Danes heavily for about 10 years. I am currently without a Dane, but share my home with a beautiful rescued German Shepherd and a rotten-to-the-core Brittany. Back to why Im here. I have a life long friend who just got married. Her husband owns a 3yr old English Bulldog whom Ive met a few times. Rex is a big lug of a dog with zero manners. His life consists of being crated and being on a tie out, he isn't given much attention past that. They are never home (both are military and work 1.5hrs from where they live). So Rex just sits there. Well, they finally agreed that this is not fair to him and have offered him to me. I agreed. He isn't here yet, but should be within a week or so. I have a few questions (if this is not the right place to ask, would you direct me to where I should?)

I raw feed my German Shepherd and Brittany. I am assuming it is ok to raw feed English Bulldogs too? He is currently kibble-fed, and I honestly don't know they brand, but would guess Dog Chow or similar...

How much exercise can a Bully handle? I bike with my Brittany, but walk my German Shepherd (he is old, and has poor hips). Rex is energetic, but rather pudgy. He needs to burn energy, but I don't want to over work his short legs/joints.

Are there any tips or pointers you can give me as a new Bully Mom? Any specific to English Bulldogs?

Thank you! I will post more when he gets here, and will of course have pictures

Last edited:

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
aw good thing you are getting this guy out of that situation. bulldogs LOVE people so i'm sure being home alone all of the time makes him a sad bully. bulldogs are all different on how much exercise they can do. some only a walk and they are set but others even do agility with their bulldogs so you'll have to see what he can handle. and i do not raw feed my bully but i know that @GatorRay @karenben and @savemejeebus raw feed their bully if you have any questions about that.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
It is so obvious you are well educated about dogs in general. Bullies have a tendency to have numerous allergies, raw it not a problem, just watch the indrediants.

As far as exercise. I have two bullies and both are capable at different levels. Bella is small for her age and the youngest, so she is very active and can handle a lot of running around and play. Abby is older, has bad joints and can hardly get up the stairs.
My suggestion would be to start slowly and see what he can handle.

He is very lucky to have you as a new mom and you will soon be addicted to bullies and everything bullies. They are addicting. Now we will all expect photos once you have him as all yours.
Welcome to the site

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How lucky is he!! Welcome to the site..I'm sure we will be able to learn from you too..and it will be great to watch Rex become a valued family member..yes ..we have a few raw feeders..they will jump in..again..thanks for giving Rex a great future! [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]...[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

Also [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] has a great blog going on her raw feeding experiences..you can find it under blogs!..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new bully. Don't know were you live but they can not handle hot weather, so if it's hot out do not walk them. wait until late afternoon or early morning when it's cooler. In the summer we do not walk ours as bullies do not require much exercise but we live in Texas and it's been 102 deg F. every day here. They do not swim either so if you have a pool keep a close eye out or get a life jacket for him as they do love the water. Ask [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] as she raw feds and can tell you all about it. have fun with your bully as they will steal your heart, and if you have any other quistions just ask away, someone here will know the answer. Oh I almost forgot, when you do get your bully we do require pics.:D

OP
Soon2bBullyMom

Soon2bBullyMom

Aug 21, 2011
Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I will start slow with Rex's exercise. Being that he has been forced to live rather stagnetly for a while, Im sure he is plenty out of shape. We will start slow and build up from there. I am very glad to hear they can tolerate raw food. I assumed they could, but wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking something. My 2 dogs have flourished on the diet, so Im very excited to see what it can do for him. Thank you SO much for the heads up on swimming, that never occurred to me. While we don't have a pool, we do frequent the river and lake. I will get him a life jacket ASAP, and keep a good eye on him.

Thank you!

L

Lucy-licious

Hi and :welcome: I bet your excited about Rex coming to live with you. Everyone is already pointing you in the right direction and shouting out to those that can help with Raw feeding. Rex will soon show you why we are all so enthusiastic about this wonderful, loving breed. Can't wait for those pics xx

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: I can't add any more or better advice than has already been given, so I'll just chime in with the usual request we have for all new members :pics:

OP
Soon2bBullyMom

Soon2bBullyMom

Aug 21, 2011
Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Here is a picture of him. He is still with his currently family (hence the tie-out), but thats his smooshy mug!

Attachments

• Rex.jpg
    Rex.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 118

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi and welcome! So glad you found us! It's so great that you were able to convince your friends of giving their (soon to be your) bully a better life.

I'm one of the members here that rawfeeds and, yes, they flourish with the diet too. Since you're already experienced there's nothing much to add, except that your bully may only require to 2% of his weight to eat instead of the higher 3% range. I know my Stig had runny poops in the beginning because I gave him a tad too much.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. We're always happy to help here!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He's such a handsome bully, thanks for the pic.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am so excited for both you and Rex! He is so very handsome. I would love to give his smooshy face a squeeze. You are in for the time of your life! Bullies are not like any other dog as you will soon find out. I am sure you will do great with him!

Yes, I raw feed mine. You will probably see pretty quickly if he has an issue with anything you feed. They tend to get skin and yeast issues if he can't handle something. I don't know if you only feed meat/bones/organs or if you add anything. If you add things, just be careful with grains. I doubt he will have any issues with raw :).

He may require a bit more grooming on his face since you will need to clean his wrinkles daily but I am sure you will have that under control. If you have ANY questions at all, try doing a search and if you don't find an answer, everyone here is just so helpful and kind, I am sure you will get the answer you need.

We are a little photo obsessed around here so be prepared to post tons of pictures! We have a section for other pets too so don't forget your GSD and Brittany! We can't wait to met them as well.

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
Welcome! Rex is a great looking bully! I'm sure he will fit in great! Good Luck and welcome to the the site. It really is a great resource.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.