Science Diet Dog Food

BillyL

Aug 8, 2011
Gadsden, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
This is my first time to post here and hope that I can get some help. I had to take my English Bulldog Buster to the Vet this morning when He was not able to walk. He just seemed he was too tired to walk. Over a month ago in June he had the same problem and was found that his white blood cells was very low and was treated and doing fine until this morning. The night before he was chewing on his feet and was playing and doing fine. His Vet has him on the Science diet large breed adult food. He is 7 years old. I would like anyone to express if you have had problems like this with your dog and advise me on the type of dog food I should feed him. I called this evening to check on him and part of his blood work showed he had a infection and was waiting on the other results. This is all that I know at this time and would like any advice that You can help me with. Thank You so much BillyL

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Sorry to hear about your baby & I hope he's better soon!

There are people here who will be able to advise you more about food. In the mean time, it might be a good idea to browse the nutrition board. I'm learning about food, but I hear that Science Diet isn't a very high quality food.

OP
B

BillyL

Aug 8, 2011
Gadsden, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Thank You so much for getting back to me. This has been a on going problem with Buster and for sometime. I just pray that He will make it back home!!!!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thank You so much for getting back to me. This has been a on going problem with Buster and for sometime. I just pray that He will make it back home!!!!

How scary!! Praying right along with you! :pray:

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Science Diet is not a high Quality food and many Bullies among other dogs dont do well on it. Vets will usually push that food due to the fact that they receive a "KickBack". There are many many other foods out there that are high quality and grain free.My Bruno also had problems with foods and although I tried all the top of the line grain free foods, he did best on a RAW diet. Browse through the food/nutrition board on here and you will have tons of great info available to you. Hope your bully turns out well

OP
B

BillyL

Aug 8, 2011
Gadsden, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Thank You so much for taking the time and giving me your advice. When I seen the picture of your dog Bruno, it reminded me of my dog Buster. Would you tell me more about the Raw diet.

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
I agree, Science Diet is not a quality dog food. There are many different opinions on quality dog foods. I have recently found one that my Bullies like but it's hard to find. I feed Victor Grain Free. You can either use the dog food area on this forum for advice or go to Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings and research the top dog foods on this site. It's an unbiased "advisor". Whatever you do, it might also be a good idea to boost your Bullie's immune system by giving him some plain yogurt each day especially if he is on antibiotics for an infection. Good luck with your dog food search. Keeping you and your boy in our prayers.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I feel bad for both you and Buster. I really hope they find out what the problem is and can help you get him healthy again. I will echo what others have said about Science Diet. It isn't a very good food and can cause issues with some dogs. The dog food advisor is a good place to start. Also if you click on "articles" at the top of the page, you will see a nutrition section that you may want to look over. There is also an article on before and after stories of food changes. Some members use a high quality limited ingredient dog food with success and some have switched to Raw feeding with success as well. Whatever you choose, I hope that he is feeling well and getting back to normal very soon. Please keep us posted on his progress!

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
I am so sorry to hear about Buster! I hope he makes a speedy recovery. We went through the same thing with our bullie, Doughnut, while he was on Hills Science Diet ZD. While I have no proof it was the food and he may hve just been sick, we did swith his food to a much higher quality food and an supplement, and he has never looked or felt better. We went with Natures Variey Instinct Salmon because of his allergies and he loves it. Btw, he's never chewed his paws since we switched his food! Good luck and I hope this helps!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So sorry to hear about Buster .. please do keep us updated.

I too am going to say what everyone else has politely said on here ... the Science Diet food is crap. There I said it!!

Go to the links about the dog ratings that have been put on this thread already and look through the nutrition part of this site, because it really is very helpful. Personally, we are using Fromm with amazing results. It's not readily and easily available locally so I go through petflow and it actually works out cheaper than me getting it from a store. If you should decide to switch Busters food then do so over a 10-14 day period. Bulldogs have really sensitive stomachs and they react badly to any food changes. The only other thing I would say is consider adding some salmon oil to his food to boost his immune system. We use the Grizzly salmon oil and all the dogs LOVE it.

We are here to help. That is the aim of this website and forum so if you have ANY other questions please ask away. In the meantime, we'd love to see some pics of Buster ... :up:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I am going through the same thing with my foster Izzy. White blood cell count is high and red blood is low. When it got bad she wouldnt walk. I have her on Merrick so I cant help with the food. I know Science Diet is not a quality food and it seems all the vets carry it.

They have Izzy on four meds twice a day and go in once a week for blood test.

Hope your baby gets better.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You have gotten a lot of great advice already and I agree with all of it. May not be the cause of your baby's problems but I would for sure change food cuz science diet is not good and hey it can only help anyhow. Just make sure to do a slow transition because bullies tummies are very sensitive and especially switching from that level of quality to a higher one will be a big change. As for more info on raw feeding there are a few threads going right now about it. We have a good handful of members who raw feed things like chicken etc and their babies are beautiful on it. I feed fromm grain free and is a good food along with many other great foods out there. Please keep us updated on your baby, I hope Buster gets better soon!

DinoRoyale

Aug 4, 2011
Red Wing
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
:crying:poor Buster, sorry to hear he is not feeling well. Hopefully nothing to serious and he gets back to being better soon!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: I hope you find what will work for Buster and get him feeling better soon?I can't add any more advice than others have already. Just :pray: for a speedy recovery.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.