Bella Duchess - Nice to meet you!

sporako

Jul 22, 2011
Madison WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Duchess
  • IMG_1023.jpg
Good morning,

I'm happy to introduce you to the newest addition to the family - Bella Duchess. She was born May 10th - so she's just past 10 weeks. We got back from the vet, as this is only her second day with her new home - and the vet said everything looks good! That's news to my ears as my last EB had to be put down before her third Birthday because of Heart issues.

Bella already has a wonderful personality and is adjusting well. I do have a few questions if you don't mind -

- I asked the vet, and he seemed unconcerned.. He is a highly recommended EB Vet who knows what he is doing and whom i Trust, but i figured i would ask you all any who.

- Bella's hind leg and her tail area must itch - she sometimes sits down abruptly - and when i itch it for her, she takes her mouth and play bites my arm as if she was scratching her leg/tail area herself. very small bites like as if she was attacking the area.. She has been checked for flees and such - and treated to prevent..

Has anyone heard of this type of behavior? Again the vet didn't seem to worried - Perhaps she may just has an itch she cant scratch and she is OCD about it? Or maybe shes nervous about the transition?

- I hear people talking on here about Fresh/Frozen Veggie treats. Does anyone have recommendations for treats that are healthy and good for the pup?
- Currently her meals consists of Blue Buffalo Puppy - with some can Blue buffalo chicken (two - three table spoons per cup to provide some attractive smells and taste)

She has been sleeping in the crate well - the first night I laid down by her and kept the door open. She woke me up to go pee! I was so proud of her! And last night, i made her sleep inside of the create by herself as I was in the other room. I woke up about every two hours to let her out - and she only cried about 10 min

So so far, I'm one happy guy - she's been great!

Thank you for welcoming me into this community - for every person who posts on here there are hundrads that only read - and learn from all of your wisdom!

And now - for a few Photos, I will update them with better ones later - i just knew if i posted without anything there would be a mob ;)

Thank you,

Eric

my new pup.jpgIMG_3753.jpgIMG_3764.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: Eric.... Glad you signed up.... How do you ever get anything done with that cutie that is so huggable. I'd be cuddling with her constantly. Our bully was an adult when we got her so I cant help much but there are dozens here that can. Please keep us in the loop as she grows. She is just DARLING :heart::heart:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
She is very "Bella" indeed! Sounds like you are off to a great start. You are a "star" pupil for posting pics of your new baby. I fall in love with each new bulldog that joins the forum. Well you already know you're going to get a lot of advice here.
My EBs need to have their bottoms cleaned often so I always keep baby wipes around or else it can get very uncomfortable for them. Since you have a female you must make sure her private bits are wiped clean too. My girl seems to squat down to the ground and I'm concerned she might pick up some debris in the process so I always try to wipe her down if she has been outdoors. Sometimes bulldogs can have allergies to grass so it's always a good idea to wipe their undersides, feet and face with a clean washcloth. She also loves green beans and carrots for treats cooked or frozen. My girl eats apples and bananas (in moderation). For a long term chewing treat they get "deer antlers" which you can find on the internet and some pet stores carry them. Antlers last a long time and they don't break apart. They come in various sizes. Nylabone toys are good too. Stay away from raw hide chews and pig ears cause they could get stuck in their throats. I will defer any advice on crate training and appropriate dog food to others.

Congratulations on your new fur baby!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yay! Puppies! She's beautiful! Well my Jake is 8 months old but I'm pretty new to the "bulldog world". It does sound like she's got an itch..you might try a nice oatmeal bath for her. I got a shampoo..oatmeal based and I leave it on for as near to 10 minutes as possible! Then make sure you rinse very well..no residue left! It leaves their coat so shiny and soft. Other than that maybe she is starting to develop some sensitivity to her food? There are others more experienced with food here than me! As far as treats..Jake isn't into carrots..but he will eat a few green beans! But his favorite are the healthy bones treats from natural balance..grain free with salmon and apple..loves these! But sadly he only gets 2 a day!! They also have training treats for pups that are small and come in limited ingredient formulas..like bison and fish!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh thank you for posting pics to prevent the demands. haha As for the behind itching, that is common for my boy when he is either allergic to something like his food or if they need their anal glands expressed they do this sometimes also. BUT she is a baby so allergies would not be a problem yet and my boy was grown when we got him also so no help on when you start having their anal glands expressed. My pug needs his done about every month or so and my boy needs his maybe every 2 or 3 months I guess? His were never full for a looonnng time then all of a sudden I had the vet try and they were so now he gets it done here and there. Sounds like you have a great vet which is very important so that is good.
As for treats, being a little thing she cant eat things that are too crunchy I believe right? Maybe frozen peas would be good? They defrost almost instantly and are very good for them as they are empty calories and my boys LOVE them. Any soft veggie would work, like cooked green beans even. If you make them for dinner and have any left rinse off any seasonings and put them in a little bag for her to have for snacks.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Bella is stunning!!! Congrats.

So for treats, you might try frozen pumpkin "drops." I make these by mixing a little water and pumpkin (plain, not the pie mix), then spooning a little bit into an ice cube tray. For a puppy maybe just one or to teaspoons per drop. These days we fill each cube up all the way. I also mix in some powder Missing Link Supplement, but it's too soon for Bella. These are great on hot days or as a training treat, but as with anything, don't over do it b/c/ there' a lot of fiber. Actually, double check this is okay for a 10-week old.

Also, Lupe has done that butt thing all her life. Started the day she got home. Vet said it's behavioral, like a reaction/imprint from tail docking, combined with the general need dogs have to clean themselves (but most bullys can't reach). I simply scratch a little and soothe her and keep her clean, and it's all good!

Enjoy your baby!!!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Welcome! Look at you...already know the score with the pics. lol. Thank you for sharing!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I am dying here.

She is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love her expression.

Penny is a Duchess as well, lol. Duchess Penelope Lue (We got her right after all of the Royal Wedding Hoopla.)

Welcome to the site! Penny is our first EB & I have learned so, so much on this site. Can't wait to hear how she grows up!

OP
sporako

sporako

Jul 22, 2011
Madison WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Duchess
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Bella and I are exited for our new adventure together - and its cool to know there are so many people who can relate.

She goes from timid to full blown bulldog in a flip of a switch. I think as she is learning about her new home and becoming more comfortable with it - she is relaxing a bit and letting her personality show. She slept in her crate last night really well - with NO crying when i put her in. She was just so damn tired she plopped down even before i could close the door. Then the Thunder storm started! She freaked out - and i had to let her out So together we slept on the living room floor, when my alarm went off to take her out - she had walked back to her crate and fell asleep! So thats a great sign!

Thanks again! Here is a photo of how she fell asleep yesterday - i thought it was pretty cute!

IMG_1046.jpg

L

Lucy-licious

OMG!! I have fallen for another puppy. you lucky lucky daddy she is beautiful :heart::heart::luv::heart::heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.