Hi bulldog community, need some advice

Jaimie

Jul 18, 2011
We are considering purchasing a female bulldog from a respected breeder. My concern is the female, we are interested, in has two blue eyes with a white and brown body. I have read a few websites that claim this is a sign that the dog could be blind or deaf. I don’t plan on showing the dog and she is just going to be our house dog, but I don’t want to take a chance that the dog is deaf or blind. Would anyone purchase an English bulldog with blue eyes? I also don't want to pay full price for an English bulldog that my have been mixed with other breeds in her blood line. Here is a pic of the dog; she is the white face dog with blue eyes. She is 4 weeks old.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Hi and welcome!!! We actually have a couple of members who have bullys that have one blue eye. I am not sure if it true about the deaf or blind in the EB breed. I say as long as she checks out fine by the vet you should be ok. But there are more experienced bulldog owners on this website.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver has one blue eye and is neither deaf nor blind, but he does have a sister who is all white who also has one blue eye and she is deaf. I think the deafness and the blindness is more of a problem with the dogs who are all white or mostly all white. Oliver only has the one reverse brindle ear and his tail, other than that, he is all white. I would say they would be able to tell if she is blind or deaf well before you are ready to pick her up. My breeder knew Oliver's sister was deaf before I even knew I was bringing Oliver home and we were communicating about Sebastian, she would mention how all the puppies in the litter were doing and mention this little girl. My opinion is, go ahead and take her if you are already attached to her. There are lots of deaf dogs out there who manage to communicate with their humans, blind ones too, for that matter.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ya..I've heard the all white and deafness..even in cats. I had one of those before..never heard about blue eyes and issues..you know facts and the Internet....not! If she's a good breeder and has a good reputation..I can't imagine she would sell you a pup with problems like that ..they can certainly be tested for these things before they go home.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Well lex is all white but had brown spots in his ears along w his black freckles and I do know for a fact he is not deaf haha. When he was a baby baby he had blue eyes but they changed to brown as he got older. He does have a litter brother that's partially blind :/

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=2810]Jaimie[/MENTION]... Firstly. :welcome: Glad you joined and hope to see lots more of your baby when you get her.
If this is a concern for you and if it is a reputable breeder, you can probably have a clause written into your contract concerning the issue.
I hope everything works out for you and the puppy.. :)

melanie

Aug 6, 2010
N.Florida (Perry)
Bulldog(s) Names
ZEEK & STANLEY
Hi Jamie, I myself would ask the same questions, I adopted 2 very healthy bully boys from a reputable & highly respected breeder who would not mind at all answering your questions, her name is Marcia she is very nice and always eager to help in any way, she has over 20 yrs experience with bullys... I wish you the best! and she is a beautiful bullygirl!!

Last edited by a moderator:

alacobulldogs

Jul 19, 2011
Hi Jamie,
I have been breeding for 20 years. Anyone who claims to be a reputable or responsible breeder would not have blue eyed bulldogs, mini bulldogs or the so called rare colors. These are all very undesirable traits that are not recognized by A.K.C..I have a web site that I made not only for selling my puppies but to educate people about this wonderful breed, please visit it go to bulldog health and learn about the breed before you get scammed into buying a very unhealthy puppy. My contact info. is there if I can further assist you, I was informed by a lady who bought 2 of my puppies about you so I logged on and hope to be of assistance. Thanks Marcia

Last edited by a moderator:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Question for me...can't a blue eyed dog be a one off? Meaning, it is something that might "happen?"

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Question for me...can't a blue eyed dog be a one off? Meaning, it is something that might "happen?"

I'd like to know the answer to that one, too! I know according to AKC standards, Oliver is considered imperfect just because he has one blue eye, but to me he is perfect. My breeder certainly doesn't breed to have blue eyed bulldogs, and it just seems like occasionally it may happen that a recessive gene may show up when it hasn't shown before. I also get tired of hearing from other breeders on other sites, that he is inferior and that my breeder should never have sold him. Well, I wasn't buying a show quality dog and he did come with a limited registration and I stand behind my breeder for everything she's done for me because of Sebastian.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2152]Kim Sebastian n Oliver[/MENTION] Exactly what I was thinking...that it was something just happens from time to time.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I too have never heard this about blue eyed bulldogs!!??

You say this is a respected breeder .. well outright ask her/him and see what they say. If you are worried have it written into the contract. If it is REALLY worrying you then move on and find another breeder or wait for another litter!!

Other than that, welcome to the site, and I hope to see you and your new bully addition on here sometime in the future!!! :up:

alacobulldogs

Jul 19, 2011
Yes this is true a reputable and responsible breeder would stop breeding the male and female along with any and all off spring that are producing this and many other in perfections.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.