Hi bulldog community, need some advice

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Yes this is true a reputable and responsible breeder would stop breeding the male and female along with any and all off spring that are producing this and many other in perfections.

my breeder has stopped using this breeding pair and all puppies were sold with limited regs.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
my breeder has stopped using this breeding pair and all puppies were sold with limited regs.

Ok, so the consensus is that some questions to ask are....is she planning on breeding that pair again and will she be willing to put in the health "guarantee" that they will in some way reimburse you if the dog goes blind? Also, is she selling the pup on limited registration?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm not going to comment on this because a lot of good advise already, just wanted to say welcome to the site and whatever you decide to do take the pup or get another one just send pics please. Plus snowflake is all white except a little brown specs on her ears and she is not deaf. :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: whatever you decide I hope you find the perfect new baby for your family.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Hello, and welcome! That puppy sure is cute.

As far as blue eyes go..they certainly are uncommon in Bulldogs. (I love how it looks..lol..does that make me bad? I'm a sucker for blue eyes!)
Blue eyes are a recessive trait. For example..say both the parents have brown eyes. But, some where back in the line..a couple of dogs had the recessive gene for blue eyes. That gene continued to be passed down and was recessive, until finally in one puppy, both recessive genes were expressed instead of one dominant and one recessive.

I hope I'm making sense and not annoying anyone. Here's a little example.
Say, if both the parents were homozygous for brown eyes..their genotype would be BB.
If both parents were homozygous for blue eyes, their genotype would be bb.
If they were both heterozygous, meaning that they had brown eyes but carried the blue gene, their genotype would be Bb.

In order to have a puppy with blue eyes, BOTH parents would have to have that recessive blue gene. So, either one parent was bb and one was Bb, or both were bb. My guess is the first. ;) So it's really probably just a big fluke and not necessarily an indicator of bad breeding.

However, if the breeder specifically breeds for that..I'd say be a bit careful. I'm not saying the breeder is bad by any means. I'm just saying that you really shouldn't be trying for blue eyes in English Bulldogs because it isn't "standard."

As far as deafness and blindness goes. The breeds that REALLY have trouble with that are Australian Shepherds and Border Collies. Those dogs that are "double merle" (meaning two merle dogs were bred together..it's another genetic thing I'm not going to get into because it isn't really relevant) end up white with no pigment and blue eyes. Those dogs are also known as "lethal whites." They DO tend to be either blind and/or deaf. Very rarely will you see a white Aussie or Border Collie without hearing or vision impairment.

I highly doubt that puppy has either problem. Blue eyes are NOT an indicator of being deaf and/or blind necessarily. It's only really in PURE white animals with no pigment on their bodies that you really need to worry about. That puppy clearly has pigment with the brown fur, black nose. I would be willing to say she's probably fine.

I hope that was helpful!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION], thank you so much! I hope this will stop all the people referring to Oliver's breeder as a bad breeder because she had two puppies out of 8 that had one blue eye, when both parents had brown eyes. Clearly, it was a recessive thing and something that was not in her control!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION], thank you so much! I hope this will stop all the people referring to Oliver's breeder as a bad breeder because she had two puppies out of 8 that had one blue eye, when both parents had brown eyes. Clearly, it was a recessive thing and something that was not in her control!!!!

I agree with you and [MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION]..and if you notice the REAL negative comments seem to come from another breeder...PHOOEY...having blue eyes is not a sign of anything but a recessive gene..like Lauren said! I also love the blue eyes..one or two..and I think OLIVER is perfect!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes this sounds like a fluke, as long as they are not trying to sell "rare colors". The breeders that do this usually over charge and are not in it to better the breed to the standards set forth by the BCA. Just my opinion. Those are the ones to be careful of.

I think you have maybe found the perfect puppy for you. I think all bullies are beautiful, whatever colors they are. But the standards should try to be followed. Did you decide to get the pup? I am very excited for your new bully adventure!

OP
J

Jaimie

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the feedback!! Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, rl stuff came up. I respect both sides of the discussion and somewhere in either parents bloodline may have been another breed but I'm a sucker for blue eyes as well! I have no plans on breeding or showing the dog so we've decided to go forward with her. I will post pics when we get her and I will be searching for advice on potty training.

Breeder does not try to breed for blue eyes or claim it to be a rare color

The puppy will be registered and she guarantees her bloodlines.

Last edited:

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
Wow! I just read this post and there are a lot of great opinions! So what's one more!? I feel that as long as she isn't misrepresenting the puppy (overpricing for the blue eyes, etc.), has references you can talk to of her other puppies, and the breeder is open to you taking her for a quick vet visit to check......get her! Heck blind in one eye deaf in one ear...she is still may be your perfect bully baby...just do whatever you need to do to make it the right decision for YOUR FAMILY and you are willing to accept the possible issues (I hate to say this...but I will...make sure you are okay with it for her life and you aren't impulse buying...this tends to be how these guys end up in rescue...and we don't want anymore of that)! These bullies have all sorts of issues...some of us have been freakishly lucky with bully health issues...others of us not! However, the one true things is we love these guys and all went with our guts with our bully babies and don't regret it! :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I have seen a lot of puppies not just bullies, when first born, have blue eyes but change as they get older. What's wrong with that? Like I say before lex had blue eyes for a short time when he was a puppy but changed to brown. I have a friend that just got a neo mastiff 8 weeks and her eyes are blue, breeder said they'll change as they get older as well.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have seen a lot of puppies not just bullies, when first born, have blue eyes but change as they get older. What's wrong with that? Like I say before lex had blue eyes for a short time when he was a puppy but changed to brown. I have a friend that just got a neo mastiff 8 weeks and her eyes are blue, breeder said they'll change as they get older as well.
When I first saw pictures of Wilson the first thing I noticed was the blue hue to his eyes. I asked my breeder about this and she assured me they were not blue, not blue in the sense of a true blue eye. Wilson's eyes we'd in fact a blue/grey and by 12 weeks they changed to brown. And when we rescued Jack (our AmStaff) at 4 months he too had a blue/grey hue to his eyes and he is mostly white. I really can't add anything here but my personal experience cause I'm not that knowledgabe on blue eyes, but seeing those cute cute puppies they're eyes look like my wilsons did.Welcome to EBN too!!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online