Thread: Hi bulldog community, need some advice

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hi bulldog community, need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    @Kim Sebastian n Oliver Exactly what I was thinking...that it was something just happens from time to time.
    I totally agree! Like throwback colors from way back in a line of dobermans! And heck...people too!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I too have never heard this about blue eyed bulldogs!!??

You say this is a respected breeder .. well outright ask her/him and see what they say. If you are worried have it written into the contract. If it is REALLY worrying you then move on and find another breeder or wait for another litter!!

Other than that, welcome to the site, and I hope to see you and your new bully addition on here sometime in the future!!!

Yes this is true a reputable and responsible breeder would stop breeding the male and female along with any and all off spring that are producing this and many other in perfections.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alacobulldogs View Post
    Yes this is true a reputable and responsible breeder would stop breeding the male and female along with any and all off spring that are producing this and many other in perfections.
    my breeder has stopped using this breeding pair and all puppies were sold with limited regs.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Sebastian n Oliver View Post
    my breeder has stopped using this breeding pair and all puppies were sold with limited regs.
    Ok, so the consensus is that some questions to ask are....is she planning on breeding that pair again and will she be willing to put in the health "guarantee" that they will in some way reimburse you if the dog goes blind? Also, is she selling the pup on limited registration?

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I'm not going to comment on this because a lot of good advise already, just wanted to say welcome to the site and whatever you decide to do take the pup or get another one just send pics please. Plus snowflake is all white except a little brown specs on her ears and she is not deaf.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

whatever you decide I hope you find the perfect new baby for your family.

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

Hello, and welcome! That puppy sure is cute.

As far as blue eyes go..they certainly are uncommon in Bulldogs. (I love how it looks..lol..does that make me bad? I'm a sucker for blue eyes!)
    Blue eyes are a recessive trait. For example..say both the parents have brown eyes. But, some where back in the line..a couple of dogs had the recessive gene for blue eyes. That gene continued to be passed down and was recessive, until finally in one puppy, both recessive genes were expressed instead of one dominant and one recessive.

I hope I'm making sense and not annoying anyone. Here's a little example.
    Say, if both the parents were homozygous for brown eyes..their genotype would be BB.
    If both parents were homozygous for blue eyes, their genotype would be bb.
    If they were both heterozygous, meaning that they had brown eyes but carried the blue gene, their genotype would be Bb.

In order to have a puppy with blue eyes, BOTH parents would have to have that recessive blue gene. So, either one parent was bb and one was Bb, or both were bb. My guess is the first. So it's really probably just a big fluke and not necessarily an indicator of bad breeding.

However, if the breeder specifically breeds for that..I'd say be a bit careful. I'm not saying the breeder is bad by any means. I'm just saying that you really shouldn't be trying for blue eyes in English Bulldogs because it isn't "standard."

As far as deafness and blindness goes. The breeds that REALLY have trouble with that are Australian Shepherds and Border Collies. Those dogs that are "double merle" (meaning two merle dogs were bred together..it's another genetic thing I'm not going to get into because it isn't really relevant) end up white with no pigment and blue eyes. Those dogs are also known as "lethal whites." They DO tend to be either blind and/or deaf. Very rarely will you see a white Aussie or Border Collie without hearing or vision impairment.

I highly doubt that puppy has either problem. Blue eyes are NOT an indicator of being deaf and/or blind necessarily. It's only really in PURE white animals with no pigment on their bodies that you really need to worry about. That puppy clearly has pigment with the brown fur, black nose. I would be willing to say she's probably fine.

I hope that was helpful!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

@laurendoodler, thank you so much! I hope this will stop all the people referring to Oliver's breeder as a bad breeder because she had two puppies out of 8 that had one blue eye, when both parents had brown eyes. Clearly, it was a recessive thing and something that was not in her control!!!!
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Sebastian n Oliver View Post
    @laurendoodler, thank you so much! I hope this will stop all the people referring to Oliver's breeder as a bad breeder because she had two puppies out of 8 that had one blue eye, when both parents had brown eyes. Clearly, it was a recessive thing and something that was not in her control!!!!
    I agree with you and @laurendoodler..and if you notice the REAL negative comments seem to come from another breeder...PHOOEY...having blue eyes is not a sign of anything but a recessive gene..like Lauren said! I also love the blue eyes..one or two..and I think OLIVER is perfect!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes this sounds like a fluke, as long as they are not trying to sell "rare colors". The breeders that do this usually over charge and are not in it to better the breed to the standards set forth by the BCA. Just my opinion. Those are the ones to be careful of.

I think you have maybe found the perfect puppy for you. I think all bullies are beautiful, whatever colors they are. But the standards should try to be followed. Did you decide to get the pup? I am very excited for your new bully adventure!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!! Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, rl stuff came up. I respect both sides of the discussion and somewhere in either parents bloodline may have been another breed but I'm a sucker for blue eyes as well! I have no plans on breeding or showing the dog so we've decided to go forward with her. I will post pics when we get her and I will be searching for advice on potty training.

Breeder does not try to breed for blue eyes or claim it to be a rare color

The puppy will be registered and she guarantees her bloodlines.
    Last edited by Jaimie; 07-23-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Information

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads