New member and soon to be Bulldog Dad

DrewP

Jul 16, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Hey, just wanted to say Hello! I found this resource and am looking forward to getting my first bulldog in two weeks. I'm counting the days and reading as much as I can about them. I have wanted one for quite some time and am finally in a position to have a companion.

My avatar is a picture of him at about 4 weeks. I can't wait to bring him home. His name is Hulk... after Hulk Hogan, one of my childhood heroes.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I"m very excited.

One thing I'm still having a debate about is cratetraining.... I definately want him to sleep in bed with me when he's able and don't want to to confine him... but I've heard it's a good tool to use. Any comments on this would be great. thanks.

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
Hulk is adorabull. Welcome to EBN forum u will find anything & everything u need to know. If u can't find it just ask and one of us will help u out :] can't wait to c more pics

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Hi and welcome!! Hulk is a real cutie!! Matilda is crate trained for when we go places. She sleeps in bed with us at night though.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Hulk is a cutie!

I would recommend crate training HIGHLY! It will make potty training so much easier for you and when Hulk is trained and not having any accidents you can allow him to sleep where he chooses. If he chooses that to be with you then you are good to go, with far fewer messes to have had to clean up.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome! Hulk is a hunk! Crate training is great, they will think of it as their safe place after a couple of months. You can still let him sleep with you, just be sure to give plenty of crate time during the day and never take them out if they cry.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome, what a beauty he is! I think crate training is the best for when you are gone and potty training also. Few members on here have done great set ups where they have a gate around the crate for day time and the pup has freedom to come in and out and pees and eats outside the crate then can sleep inside. I have never crate trained before but after having seeing how great it does work I would in the future I think hands down. My boys sleep with us too and I wouldnt have it any other way but for daytime when they are young I think crate training is the way to go. Have heard of a few pups that died from chewing on electrical cords and such, something SO tragic.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Welcome and Hulk is a CUTIE! I bet it is hard to wait for him to come home! Crate training is wonderful to aid in houstraining your puppy. We also use it to put them in when we leave during the day so that they do not injure themselves while we are gone. It is their "safe place" as you know that puppies will get into things you never imagined and could eat something inappropriate (such as cabinets, woodwork, furniture, wires) or that could hurt them by causing them to choke. It will also make sure they they don't potty on your floor while you are gone and teach them to hold it for a bit instead of just going when the mood strikes. You can still let him sleep in the bed with you when he is old enough to trust not to pee or poo on the bed! lol. For my older guy and girl, I rarely crate them but I leave their crate doors open and they often choose to sleep in there during the day. You might want to be able to put him in there at night if you find his snoring is too much for you! lol.

At any rate, I am glad you found us. You will likely have lots of questions when you get your puppy home and we hope we can help if you need it. We also love to watch puppies grow so be sure to post lots of pics when he gets home!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hulk is just adorable. Welcome to the site, and yes to crate training, we crate train all of ours and they stay in their crates at night and when we leave for the day to keep them safe and out of things they should not be in. And as others have said they will go into their crates on their own during the day when we are here when they want a quiet place to sleep. Good luck with your new pup, and remember to send pics.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Goodness! Hulk looks like he is going to be a beautiful bullie! I love his picture, especially his arms and face freckles.:smoochwink:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome:Glad you joined EBN. Please don't hesitate to ask questions... there are none that are too basic and there is always someone here that has been there, done that. Hulk is a cutie; cant wait to see and hear more about him as he grows. :D

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
The crate is the way to go. Before I brought Winston home almost 10 years ago, I read a book about English Bulldogs. This book suggested crate training, potty training, chewing phase, etc. The crate worked well for Winston. I also kept Winston corralled in the kitchen with his kennel crate while I was at work or sleeping. I am not sure who was training who, but Winston trained me really well lol! Good luck Drew, and enjoy your new kid!

Royandcourtney

Jul 16, 2011
Central Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Welcome to this forum we recently joined when got an English Bulldog recently. From our experience with our other dogs that we have raised from puppies, only allowing a puppy enough room to turn around and sleep comfortable is the only way to go. If it were me I would get a large crate and put a partition in it. You do no want to buy every size. They get expensive. If they have too much room they will make one corner a restroom. Our laundry room should be called the crate room. The crate will become their safe zone and will be great when you are away or when it storms. We had to kennel our Rott on the Fourth of July when our neighbors were shooting off fireworks. She was terrified.... Never know when they will come in handy. Good luck with your new puppy. Check craigslist for crates you might be able to find a good deal on one.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Welcome!! Hulk is adorable.

I also recommend crate training not only for potty training purposes, but also because, as much as you might imagine it being so sweet with your bully puppy in bed with you, Penny was an absolute MANIAC when my husband was out of town and tried to let her sleep with me. I had to put her in her crate. lol

Not only is it good for them, but it also gives you a chance to not have a rollicking, biting baby bully in your bed every night. :lmao:

I found a crate on Amazon for around $45 & it was free shipping. It has the puppy partition and we have slowly been expanding it as she grows. It's called the icrate & was the best deal I could find. It also folds down and has a side door and a door on the front. The side entry door is a bit wider, and came in handy when she had to have eye surgery & wear a cone.

OP
DrewP

DrewP

Jul 16, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Thanks, for all the replies so far! Here is a little more updated pic of Hulk. 110 days until I pick him up

07191111159501.jpg

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Hi, and welcome to EBN!

Hulk is certainly adorable. :heart:

I would really recommend crate training. It is a wonderful tool!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online