Hello

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am a 30 year old college instructor who never really liked dogs until my husband insisted on getting on and, after researching, we decided on a bulldog. After one came another and we were the parents of two gorgeous boys, Bentley and Linus.

I recently lost my older bulldog, Bentley, at the age of 6. I was and am heartbroken since he was my first dog, my first bullie, and taught this type A girl how to chill out. I miss him everyday as does his brother Linus.

We just added another bulldog to our home, 10 week old Truman.

I am here for advice on bulldogs - puppies, training, health issues - and hopefully I can add some good advice since I've been through two torn ACLs, a case of mange, and a bunch of things in between with my precious doggies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi there! Welcome :). I am sure you have some stories to tell, glad you joined us!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
You will fit perfectly! We all seek advice on this stuff. I know that bulldogs average 8 to 10 years, 6 is kinda young. If you are okay talking about it, what happened? I, myself, have 2 EBs, Vegas and Orion. Vegas is 2 1/2 and was diagnosed with epilespy at 10 months old. He is my problem child........mange, tail amp, epilepsy, mega esophagus........just to start out. Orion is my 1 year old........she's a pita.
I know you will enjoy this site. Ask tons of questions. This is a great group of people.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome! It will be good adding more experience on here. Sorry for your loss, 6 is too young! My boy will be 5 this year and I dont even want to think about how awful that must have been for you. Would LOVE to see pics of all your bullies.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone!

To answer your question Libra, Bentley died at age six - we think due to heat. We live in Arizona and are super careful about the dogs at all times. For some ungodly reason, when I was at work, my husband let Bentley out and we typically leave the door open so they can come right back in - he's always done this. Bentley did not come back to the door and we found him laying in a pile of leaves about 25 minutes later. He was in the shade and it was about 90 degrees or so - that's how fast it can happen. So please, if you think it couldn't happen to your bullie, or it's not hot enough, or he hasn't been out THAT long - it can. They need to be supervised at all times outside in any kind of heat - I am sure everyone knows but it's easy to become to complacent when we think our bullie is trained well enough to know to come in.

Anyway, we rushed him upstairs and put cool water on his paws and his gums and rushed him to the emergency vet less than a mile away. There was nothing to be done, his jaw was already locked up and rigor mortis was setting in. It was probably the single hardest moment of my life to this point. I have his ashes and paw print and pictures to remind me but he lives in my heart always. I miss him so, so much.

As odd as this might sound, Bentley had two ACL surgeries during his life. I found the plates from his TPLO surgery in his ashes and had one made into a necklace with my birthstone and his in it, feels good to have him close to my heart.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Hi, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Six is just too young. I am also new here and I live in the Phoenix area also. I just got my first Bulldog puppy from a breeder in Glendale. I will be especially careful with the heat. So far it's not a problem, since Gertie pretty much thinks I'm crazy to take her outside when it's 115!! But I always go out with her and we only stay long enough for her to tend to business and then it's back inside where it's cool. I look forward to hearing all your Bulldog stories and advise. Not to appear really DUMB, but what is ACL and TPLO? Boy! I have sooo much to learn!

Julie and Gertie in Az.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi Julie! When I say Bentley tore both of his ACLs and had them repaired with TPLO surgery, it means he tore a major ligament in both of his knees and had it repaired by re-shaping the leg using plates and screws to eliminate the need for an ACL completely. He blew one knee out at 1 year and the other at 3 years but recovered fine from each of the surgeries with a little TLC and his little brother Linus.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Hi and welcome Jill. Sorry I have not welcomed you my internet is bad in Texas right now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online