New and need some tips

Marc10edora

Jul 8, 2011
Hi,
My name is Marc and I have been researching everything I can get my hands on about English Bulldogs. I plan on purchasing one sometime this year. But before that, I want to do all my homework on the breed and the breeders that I might purchase from. So far, it has been a nightmare on finding a trusted breeder on the internet. Finding info about online breeders is kind of hard. I have to basically trust their word that their dogs are healthy.

I would rescue a Bulldog, but there is no way for me to know where that dog came from and if it will have health problems in the future. Besides, I already rescued a Pomeranian/Miniature Doberman mutt when I was 12. I am 27 now and he is still alive and kicking! Now I know I am ready to care for a bulldog.

I hope this site will point me in the right directions to find a respected breeder. The best selling tool is a personal recommendation. So if anyone has had a good experience purchasing from an online breeder, please let me know. Thanks......I'll be on here reading through all the threads for the next couple of months.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Welcome you came to the rite place there is some amazing people on here and will help you with whatever they can. Having a bully is aloud of work but soooo worth it

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
Where abouts do you live? and would you be willing to travel? I am in Wi and would totally recomend my breeder. I just don't know how close you are.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
have you read the puppy buying tips article on this site? You can find it in the forum and article section. it is a great article and may shed some light on owning an EB pup. Good luck, because there are good breeders out there and on here.

Rubiddydub

Jul 5, 2011
Hope you have a fat wallet.......all those £/$ you spend in return for love......priceless but burns a whole in ya pocket! Owning a bully will not be cheap, I've paid for mine 3 times over and she's only just turned one but because I love here cost don't matter. Just be prepared for the unexpected. You will never own another breed once a bully has owned you. Mans best friend? Dogs best friend more like it!

OP
M

Marc10edora

Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, I am fully prepared to take on all the expenses. At least now i know what to expect from owning a dog for the last 15 years. Hopefully i can save myself from alot of un-needed hardships. This time I will definetley get dog insurance. It will definetly pay off in the senior years...trust me. I currently spend $100 per month on meds for my 15 year old dog.

Now that i am no longer a 12 year old kid, have a good/steady paying job, getting ready to purchase a home and more experienced, i am ready to step it up and raise an EB. I currently live in san jose, CA. But i will be moving soon to San Francisco. It is a perfect city for a bulldog. Weather is right in the middle and the city is very very dog friendly. Now I just need to get the dog.

Another question, I one day plan on having a baby and start a family. Would it be wise to get a bulldog before or after the baby? Do you think the bull dog will get jealous or get aggressive towards a new born baby?

OP
M

Marc10edora

Jul 8, 2011
I read the puppy buying guide on here. It is very informative. I will be refrening back to it when i find a breeder. Thanks.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2731]Marc10edora[/MENTION] As for the having a baby, all daogs are different BUT from what I have seen bullies are THE MOST kid loving pups ever. My Cutty is 5 1/2 and our oldest is 2 1/2 and he LOVES her like mad. Yeah she drives him crazy by stealing his toys and making him chase her around for them but they love it. Now with a 6 month old he absolutely adores her as well. Very good at licking her toes and legs and when she demands he even gives good open mouth kisses. :barf: My boy does get grumbly with us when he is tired etc but has NEVER gotten grumbly with the girls. I say so long as you raise your pup like a bully should be raised you will be ok. Plus when the babies do come you just keep the bully in the loop. Dont keep the baby away from it or there may be resentment. If they are included in the baby's life they will love like crazy. I would think my boy was a mama the way he looks after my girls, cant imagnie what a female would be like. haha

As for finding a good breeder, do not go online is my first advice. There are WAY too many bad breeders and scams. Look at the bulldog club of america, they have a list of trusted breeders. If you dont find one near you with pups or at all they will all help y ou locate a diff breeder. You may pay more thru them BUT if you look for a "cheap" bully you will most likely pay more in the end in health costs.

As for adopting, the bullies have been so screened over for health problems you are almost better off as far as knowing what will come in that department. Maybe worth looking into anyhow and if you have your heart set on a puppy, every once in a great while someone gets that lucky chance to get one rescued. Not usually but you never know. ;) Thank you for being responsible and studying up on them now before you get one.

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
I have an awesome breeder in Phoenix that may have a new litter soon... she is great ... can give you her number if you want to travel... maybe someone in california is closer.

OP
M

Marc10edora

Jul 8, 2011
@scott - yeah if you can PM me the contact info, that will be good. I am searching in my area first. But if they dont have what i want, i will try to check with your breeder. Thanks.

OP
M

Marc10edora

Jul 8, 2011
@cali- i'm pretty sure we are set on a puppy. The bulldog is for my Girlfriend as a b-day present. We have been planning in getting one for a long time. If it was for me, i would have no problem getting a full grown rescue dog. I actually plan on tryng to adopt a retired police or military german shepard dog in the future.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.