Need Help

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
Hello. I've recently joined this Forum. Looking forward to reading and assisting anyway i can.

I have a dilemma. I have a 4 1/2 yr old English Bulldog name Maximus (Max). He is a wonderful dog. He is friendly, social, and absolutley loves dogs, pets and people. He recently has started going #1 and #2 on the tile floors in the house as we sleep. This has happened about 10 times in the past month. All at night. All as we sleep. We wake up and find poop and pee all over the tile floor.

Max was potty trained at a young age. Never had an issue after about 6 months. He was always rewarded for going potty outside with treats and we never had an issue until the past month.

Now, after reading other posts, i can answer some obvious questions. Has anything changed in home? Not, really. I had a home office in which i moved out to an actual office about a year ago. So, i come home for lunch and take him out, etc. But, that was a year ago.

Also, food did change about a year ago. We switched from Iams dry kibble to the Deli Fresh real food based on recommendation from our vet. He's a big supporter of real food instead of dry food, etc.

Also, we live in Arizona, so, it's hot. He may not like the heat and that's a possible reason. But, he didn't do it last year or the year before.

Also, took him to the vet and he's healthy as can be. So, don't think it's any physical issues....

Lastly, since both my wife and i (no kids) work outside the home, i come home for lunch every day to take him out for potty. He doesn't go potty during day in the house, again only at night. He goes for 20 minute walks every single day... usually at night when it's cool and he normally does his duty each time... and is rewarded with treats... and he goes out another 5 or six times.. or is let outside all morning when cooler to relax, get some sun and go potty, etc... so, he has tons of opportunities to do his duty. And each night, right before bed, he goes outside, goes potty and gets a treat. Same routine each and every day.

He is crate trained so we have had to lock up the crate recently so he doesn't go. This morning my wife heard him rumbling... opened the door and he darted out to go potty. So, she figured he went outside... when he came back in we both went back to sleep... and left him with crate door open... to find out in the morning both #1 and #2 were done on the floor...

He know's its wrong as he slowing tracks into his safe crate and hides, shakes, etc when we wake up and discover this. I usually grab him and point his noise to the duty and say NO!! NO!! i only raise my voice and tell him NO ... as always when he was a pup... so, i give him stern words but nothing more.. i don't spank or hit him ever. Again, he shakes, gives sad, scared look and hides in his crate...

Lasty, i take him to PetSmart Doggie Day Care once a week to get him out.. he loves people, other pets and never has any problems. He does get to go potty at day care..on the floor..so, my initial though is he's picking up bad habits since they allow dogs to poop on the tile there... and thus he thinks its ok now. I hate to not allow him to go since he really loves it and gets so exciting by the mere mention of going to PetSmart... he definitely expects it each week... so, i would hate to take that away... i know, he's a dog.. but most Bulldog owners would agree we just want to make them happy since they make us so happy each day!

Anyways, if any assistance is given it's much appreciated.. maybe someone has some ideas we can try other than locking him up each night ... right now thinking either weather, petsmart doggie day care or attention problems... or lastly physical...

Thanks again,

Kevin in Arizona

Attachments

• Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 44

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am leaning towards weather after reading your posts. A couple of my kids have had several accidents lately too!! But I remember they are drinking about 5x more water than usual, and not getting as much exercise. I am cutting back their food now by 1/4 cup and that seems to be helping!

Ps I live in az too! It's freaking HOT this week!! Come on monsoons!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Sorry no help here since I live in chilly Toronto, but wanted to say WELCOME! :)

Hopefully you'll discover what the root cause of his unwanted habits sooner than later. Oh, how long has he been going to doggy daycare? If he's only started then maybe that's the reason.

Last edited:
OP
S

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
Hi. Thanks for the reply. He's been going to doggie day for about 6 months.. just once a week. So, i'm thinking that or the weather..... guess i could try not taking him for a few weeks and see if it helps.. but, he loves the play time and seems to get bored when we're not home. Maybe another dog would help too.

thanks again and if anyone else has ideas i'm listening!

Rahu1980

Jul 2, 2011
Hello! I saw your issue and can totally relate! We have the EXACT same problem with out 3 yr old English Bully - Pearl. We're in Sydney Australia - and its winter here, so I don't think its a weather thing! For the past few weeks we would go to bed, put Pearl to bed and then at some point in the night she would get up and poop on the floor, always in the same spot and always clearly felt guilty and knew it was wrong when we discovered it as she would hang in her head and look very contrite. This started several weeks ago - then stopped for a couple of weeks - but has begun again. We live in an apartment and she goes down stairs to do her business. We take her out every few hours during the day. I often work from home and my other half finishes work by 3pm most days and about 5pm is when we take her for a solid walk / play and she usually poops then. Sometimes she does an evening poop before bed. Like you guys, we always reward good potty with a treat. We never smack her - ever. We raise our voices - and point at her and say 'Naughty girl'. She has been full potty trained since a young age as well - so we are at a loss as to why this is occurring. For the first time ever today, we woke up to discover she had also peed on the carpet! Her diet is consistent, we have had no changes in the house at all. We are very frustrated as to why this is happening and would love to know what we could do to stop it. We hate seeing her little sad face when she knows she has done wrong. Hope someone out there can offer up some assistance! Good luck x

OP
S

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
Hi there. Thanks for the response. Good to know we're not alone with our problem. Maybe Max and Pearl can get together and let us know what's going on! ha. Hopefully some experienced bulldog parents can assist with this problem. It's strange because of the poop and potty.. like they are marking the territory again... i still think it has to do with Doggie Day Care in the this case... i'm considering finding another daycare where potty on the tile is not allowed... but, we'll see. It's crate training again for tonight! Take care good luck!

L

Lucy-licious

He [MENTION=2682]Scottsdalekev[/MENTION] I can't offer any help with this Lucy is not yet 1 and so far it's not a problem we have.
I feel maybe the doggy daycare is teaching bad habits and I too would look into another place to go, or maybe you could bring it up with the manager, they may not realise that letting puppy's and dogs pee and poop inside could cause probs at home.
And :welcome: to [MENTION=2683]Rahu1980[/MENTION] too :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
The heat could have something to do with it but I would lean more in the direction of daycare. I could just be that her potty schedule is changing? Have you tried cutting her food back by a little? Maybe about 1/4 c as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] suggested. Or you could try limiting her water before bedtime. Take it up a couple of hours before putting her to sleep? Putting her in the crate is a good place to start. At least at night when she is having trouble. It is my feeling (and only my opinion) that for a house trained dog, when they have an accident in the house, it is usually because the human in the equation didn't take them out soon enough. You may also want to have them check her urine just in case since this is a new development.

Anyway, I haven't had this issue so I can't give you any advice from experience but these are the things I would start with to find the root of the problem. Good luck and I hope you figure it out! It sure would be a shame if she had to stop going to daycare :(

OP
S

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for the reply. My wife and I are on pretty strict schedules and nothing has changed in the household in regards to taking Max out ... always right before bed.. and first thing in the morning... my wife goes to work at 7am so he's out at 11pm at night then 7am in the morning... so, that hasn't changed in 4 years... so, i'm leaning towards doggie day care bad habits... i've checked out a few new places that take them out for potties... so, i'll give that a go and see if it works...

OP
S

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
UPDATE 7/4/11: So, last night after being locked in his crate, Maximus went potty in his crate... number 2... he did it in the back of the crate then was squating in the front. This is not good. I'm leaning towards food now. Time for Vet this week and might have to change his food... the market fresh slab of meat might not be working for him or making his stomach upset... What do you all feed your bulldog? Is there a best food for bulldogs?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Here is the link to some food recommendation and information articles here. I think most of us are using either Fromm or Natures Variety Instinct or Natures balance LID.

English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Dog Food And Nutrition
English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

Good luck finding the cause! You may actually want them to check his urine to make sure he doesn't have something going on. Is his poo firm and normal? Does he have any other allergy issues going on? How is his urine looking? Yellow, crystals, anything like that?

OP
S

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
UPDATE -- 7/9/11:

Well, changed foods from Market Deli Fresh to Fromm's Beef and it seems to have made all the difference. No more going potty at night! Very excited. It's been a week now and Maximus hasn't gone potty in the house once! I'm thinking that food has grain or something that Max was allergic too and just wasn't working for him... Anyways, thanks to all that replied for the assistance! Have a great day with your bully!

Kevin

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.