I am a new English Bulldog Mommy

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You could cut her back *if* you feel she is too chunky. But since she is getting more exercise with your girls, she might need that much. It really depends on their activity level.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I agree with [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] ... depends on the food too! When Chunk was on Royal Canin Bulldogge (not a good food) ... he got 2 cups twice a day but he gets less now that he's on Fromm. So that's a factor too!

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Welcome to EBN I have violet in a crate at night. I put her in between 8:30 and 9. My husband gets home at about 4am lets her out to go potty then back to her bed. Until u get up at 9. She only pooped twice in there. Her first night in it and she was 8wks. Then another cuz I slept in oops. She has peeped alot at night thank God for lord of blankets. Last night was the first time she had a dry brd yay she's now 14wks on Tuesday ;) goodlyco with ur new baby

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hello and Welcome ..... :up:

I would find out from her previous owners when and for how long they used to crate her to get some idea of what she is used to. I would say that some of the accidents right now are because she is probably stressed and still trying to work out what is happening. Her life has been turned upside down .. and although I'm sure it is for the better, she won't know that yet!!

Also, her crate will smell of her and that might calm her down a little to have her own little bully-cave!

What food are you feeding her right now .... I'm sure you've already read the links you've been sent and the more you read through this site the more you will realise that food is EVERYTHING to a bully and it's future health!!!!

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
Lily is precious! Very pretty girl! I have found EBN to be very helpful, and I am also new. My baby is still with his mommy, and will be coming home to me in August. I'm super exciting and can't keep thinking about how much different our life is going to be. This is the first time owning a dog of this breed, and also new at all of this. I am currently getting his room together so everything will be in place when it is time for him to come home. I live in a small townhouse, and I plan on crate training and the breeder says that he will be litter trained at 8 weeks when I get him. I had never heard of this before a dog using litter, but I guess I will find out. I will make sure I have plenty of pee pads just in case. I know their are lots of things that I don't know, and I plan on using this forum to ask as many questions as I can.

Welcom to EBN,

Allison

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
Thank you so much for all the replies. I've asked the previous owner all these questions too but for some reason you guys seem to be more helpful. Right now Lily is eating Eukanuba Maintenace small bite. That is what she was eating at her previous home, so I didn't want to change her food on . I don't think Lily slept in a crate in her previous home, the owner who owned her in the beginning has the crate, so I will be getting into contact with her tomorrow. I have a long list of questions to ask her vet. Right now, I don't know when Lily needs to go to the bathroom, she doesn't bark or go to the door. I guess I have to learn her cues. How do you doggies let all of you know when they need to "go"? I think she is getting quite attached to me, she's been following me everywhere and when my daughter tried to take her for a walk she wouldn't move until I started walking too. Thanks Again...:)

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
violet us only gunna be 14wks she will sniff like crazy all over if she has to poop so I tell her outside potty time. Peeing is tricky she only sniffs a lil but so sometimes she gos in the house. Still work in progress ;)

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Awww, what a sweet face..Lilly is beautiful! Welcome to both of you.

I definitely recommend crate training. Most dogs won't go potty in their sleeping place. Dogs usually like having their own crates..it's "their" turf and they like to retreat there for quiet time. It's really simple to crate train and it's a valuable tool!

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
Hi there! It's me again and I have more questions. Lily is doing good today. She did well last night in her makeshift crate, no accidents. Hopefully I can get her crate by wednesday untill then we will use our little makeshift crate. Now walking her has been quite difficult, she's a puller on the leash and wants to smell everything. I was trying to give her a treat whenever she was walking good but I haven't really found any that she likes. I read that bulldogs can't have garlic and the one treat she does like (soft and chewy Milk-bone) does have garlic powder listed in the ingredients. Is that ok? Any other treat ideas? Any helpful hints on how to get her to go for walks better? She doesn't have much energy and won't walk for long. Today , after a few minutes she just wanted to lay down on the sidewalk. Also if she sees another dog, theres no stopping her.
Paula

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Goodmorning... we give violet frozen green beans nd she loves them also frozen blueberrys, raspberries also the already prepaid. Baby carrots. Um I makes smooshed banana balls and froze them ;) hope this helps

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Hi there! It's me again and I have more questions. Lily is doing good today. She did well last night in her makeshift crate, no accidents. Hopefully I can get her crate by wednesday untill then we will use our little makeshift crate. Now walking her has been quite difficult, she's a puller on the leash and wants to smell everything. I was trying to give her a treat whenever she was walking good but I haven't really found any that she likes. I read that bulldogs can't have garlic and the one treat she does like (soft and chewy Milk-bone) does have garlic powder listed in the ingredients. Is that ok? Any other treat ideas? Any helpful hints on how to get her to go for walks better? She doesn't have much energy and won't walk for long. Today , after a few minutes she just wanted to lay down on the sidewalk. Also if she sees another dog, theres no stopping her.
Paula

[MENTION=2680]Polly[/MENTION].... I hope Lily is in a Harness, not a collar. Collars can actually damage the neck and/or throat of a bully. Practice makes perfect with getting them to walk better. Keep the walks short till she walks better. Princess Gracie has about a 2 block tolerance to her walks before she starts puffing, then we know it is time to head home.

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
thanks... she doesn't have a harness but I think it will be a great idea to get on. Lately she just won't go for a walk. I posted somewhere else about this. I think in General bully talk...

Members online

No members online now.