Hello From South jersey

biggmike81

Jun 29, 2011
I'm New to this site and dont really know how to use this thing i just a bull dog from a friend the dog has skin problems and smells horrible what can i do he is on medicine and was told he doesnt need to get to the vet till the medicine is gone i think i want a second opinion any help would be greatly apreciated

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
The adult we got this past feb. Smelled horrible, too. He had a yeast infection in his ears & nose rope. I gave him a bath, still awful. The vet knew as soon as we walked in, why he was so stinky! Does he have yellow gunk in his ears? Or in his nose rope? I would get a second opinion, and go to the vet. Hope that helps !

rocketman

Jun 29, 2011
Hi South Jersey :) Most of the time it's 100% diet. It's important with this breed to feed a high quality dog food with no fillers and I absolutely swear by a supplement called Dynovite. It's a little pricey, but this is our 3rd English Bulldog over the last 15 years and I wish I would have found it sooner. Almost NO shedding and no skin problems and very little ear problems as well. IT's ALL in the diet! Hope this helps.

And Congrats on your new pet. There's not a better dog breed!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Have your friend clean the dogs folds everyday!!! His ears need to be checked by a vet. When cleaning the folds, have him or her use wipes for now, or a damp cloth, clean well, get all that dirt out of crevices and then wipe dry! Your friend should go get some desitin for now and apply a thin layer between the folds(not the ones by the eyes). Clean the eyes daily also with a wipe or damp cloth, making sure you dry the area after. I know this might seem like a chore but if he or she has a bully this is what they will have to do from now on for the rest of their bully's life. it is a comitment. I hope all goes well and please let us know.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Mike. As said above. you'll find amazing results from switching to high quality food. At least that is our experience. But the miracle won't happen overnight. you have to switch gradually and you have to find the right food for your dog. Read some of the other posts already started about what has and hasn't worked for people. And there is an article with recommendations of good choices in dog food.
You also need to get yeast under control. Cleaning well and daily will begin that process. Some supplemental yogurt in his diet will help also. And the vet can prescribe an ointment to help also if it's very bad.

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
Great advice LariP! Perfect suggestion,It's so hard to find what works for each Bullie

Most Reactions