Hello! New mom in FL.

smross18

Jun 26, 2011
I am a new mom to nine week old Dixie. She is awesome but I do have some questions. Dixie was on Iams when I got her and I have switched her to TOTW Wetlands (however I now know I need to switch because of the high protein). From the day we got Dixie she has had some bumps on her chest and a few on her face. At first I thought it was the Iams but she still has them after a week on the TOTW. I also noticed that her muzzle is very pink. I don't know if I am being paranoid or if someone might have some thoughts on what this could be. Also, I know most people on here seem to like Fromm but what are some other favorites? I have read over the dog food ratings but would like some personal thoughts on it. Thanks in advance.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
:welcome: You have come to the best place for advice and support. In my experience with Mocha, the redness on her chin was because of the dish I was using for her food. Its best not to use plastic,and you should wash it after every use. I also wipe clean her chin after meals and water so that there is minimal moisture. But she did went through the acne stage and I used acne wipes to clean the area(I did this at nite time)One week is not long enough in my opinion , so maybe give it 2 and see.Fromm is what most members use and it is a high quality food, specially with allergies. I dont feed Mocha Fromm, because she has done great on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Diet(No Grains). I really like it, and Mocha has never suffer from allergies(Thank God!!!). It really is a matter of what agrees best with your bully.I hope I was able to help:heart:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome! You DEFINITELY found the right place. And kudos for being such a good bully mom. Food is one of the hardest things to figure out. When Jake came home..he also was on iams puppy. I put him on natural balance..like [MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION]..but not the limited ingredients.I put him on their ultra classic formula. His :poo: was just too soft in my opinion and felt he might be sensitive to chicken. I made the switch to Fromm..and started him on surf n turf. His :poo: was better but over a few weeks became soft again. I switched to beef fritatta and so far so good! If he develops any problems..I'm thinking of going back to natural balance and to the limited ingredients..probably the bison or venison. It's a trial and error thing. You will do fine..there are lots of people here who know so much about food. Good luck..love to see pictures!

L

Lucy-licious

welcome to EBN [MENTION=2636]smross18[/MENTION] you have joined the best bulldog forum for help, advise and friendship.
I personally tend NOT to advise on food issues as I am accross the pond with different brands of food :) but you will get lots of valuable advise here.
but I wanted to pop in and say Hi
and one more thing!!

:pics:

:lol:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: We are part of the Fromm fan club, so can't offer another opinion.

I will however add to the :pics: requests.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: You need to post some pix quickly before the 'Pic Police' come to take you away! ;)
Give your new food some time to work. It takes MANY weeks to know if a new food will be good for your bully. Remnants of the old food stays in the blood stream for quite a while. When you switch foods do it slowly so you don't upset their tummies. ;) Fromm is an excellent food but so is TOTW. It just takes time to find the perfect one for your Bully.
Now, about those pix?? :shout: ;)

OP
smross18

smross18

Jun 26, 2011
LisaMarie which formula do you use?

Also, if I stick with TOTW should I go ahead and start switching to the one with the lower protein?

I tried to add a picture, I am not sure if it is showing up though.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Welcome, I can not advise on your food situation either, through trial and error, I found Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon works best for Vegas it is grain and gluten free. I also do not use plastic or glass bowls and wipe his chin as often as I can after he drinks. We live in Florida too. Where are you located? We live in Bradenton. It has been a hot one so far and only going to get worse this summer!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well first WELCOME TO EBN :) TOTW Wetlands is only 32% protein, I don't think that is that high. Fromm and NVI are super popular among members here and those foods range from 25-35% protein and many bullys do just fine on it. There are alot of good foods out there but while one food may be great for one bully it may not be good for another. My personal favorite are Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon, Fromm Surf & Turf, Natures Variety Instinct Salmon and I am currently trying the Fromm Beef Frittata so not sure on that one yet. As for the chin acne, alot of young bullys do seem to get a bit of acne like human teenagers do but it can have to do with allergies or the bowls you use as well. Stainless steel bowls are best and make sure to wash them often! If you have anyother questions feel free to ask!

OP
smross18

smross18

Jun 26, 2011
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I am in Jacksonville and it has been terrible, between the heat and the smoke we are having to stay inside a lot.

[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] I am using stainless bowls and I try to always wipe her face, I just feel like it is getting more and more pink. I have done so much researching that I think I am getting myself confused. Is there something about not giving them foods with potatoes? Or did I make that up :tongue:

I can't thank you all enough. I am so worried about doing something wrong.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Is there something about not giving them foods with potatoes? Or did I make that up :tongue:

LOL Yes there is! Well there can be, depends on the pup! Potatoes can aid in the growth of yeast. Samson had an ear infection for like 6 months straight (no medication cleared it up) and ear infections are partly a yeast issue. He had always been on a food with potatoes because he has to have grain free for his allergies. Well almost all grain free foods have potatoes EXCEPT Natures Variety Instinct. I switched Samson to NVI and within 2 weeks the ear infections were gone and here ~ 8 months later he is still ear infections free. Not sure if Dixie is having a yeast issue or not but if she is a switch to NVI can be VERY beneficial.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
[MENTION=2636]smross18[/MENTION], I am in Orange Park. Welcome to the site. Your little Dixie is adorable. I have 2, Abby and Bella. We have a great meetup group via meetup.com. We get together about once a month. It is amazing to see all the bullies play together. Again Welcome aboard, you will soon be addicted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.