New Member and Bully Owner

bullylvr

May 11, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
We adopted our English Bulldog about 4 months ago; he will turn 4 years in July. When we brought him home, he was on Iams and had an ear infection. After literally 100+ hours of internet research, and several food trials, I have him on Acana. It's been almost a month now but I still notice a lot of paw licking.

We've had several health issues already, including: ear infection, pustules, hot spots and horrid diarrhea from the food changes. I only pray now we are on the right track. We clean him with baby wipes every day, clean his ears a couple of times a week, I clean his tail pocket every other day and we bathe him with special shampoo every week. I wanted to join this site to share ideas with other owners and exchange ideas....Looking forward to getting to know you all.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome to you and bentley! Yay for you for rescuing!! You will get as much help as you need..and or want here. I am also in California. Will be waiting for pics and looking forward to getting to know you and Bentley!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome :) That is a good food but could be that your pup is allergic to the type of protein in it. Or even potatoes etc. We have many members on here with experience with all sorts of allergies and what to try etc so hopefully you will get better answers. We love pics too by the way so please share. :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:) Welcome to the site, and in my opinion Iams equals ear infections! Well it was true for me up until Vegas was a year old and I found this site. He has many food allegies and he is now on a grain free food. He went almost a year with no infection or paw licking after the food change, up until last week and he did have an inner ear infection, but our seasonal allergies are out of control right now. Our pollen count is extremely high. I feed Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon flavor.

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
Welcome! I am new too. We have a bully that just turned 4. 2 bullies total We rescued both, too.
And numerous health probs here also.
I lucked on to this site looking for help, so we went grain free this week! I am sooo hoping to see an improvement!! Good luck to you :)

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Welcome!!!! We have heard and seen it all when it comes to our bullies....I know for sure someone on here will have an answer for you :)

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I am very fortunate that my two bully babies have had no health problems so far <insert knocking on wood smilie here>. No allergies, no ear/skin infections, no tail pocket issues or anal glad issues, and no interdigital cysts yet. My boys are both on TOTW Pacific Stream and they get a shot of Grizzlies Salmon Oil on their evening feeding.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing pics of your guy soon!

As far as the allergy issues. We switched our princess over to Fromm Beef Fritatta because of its grain free and chicken free properties. She loves it, and her paw licking and eye booger issues are greatly reduced. Now that the trees are budding out I've noticed a bit more of the latter though.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Congratulations on bringing an EBD rescue into your life! We would love LOTS of pictures. You have found the right site to find information on allergies. The people here are very knowledgeable, kind and you can ask any question no matter how small and someone will suggest an answer.

WOW! Sounds like Bentley (and you) have been going thru a lot! I am sure if you find a food that works for him, he will feel much better. Gator had acne, tear stains, soft :poo:, a nasty nose rope, gunky ears and two interdigital cysts. We changed him to Fromm 4* Beef Frittata which is chicken and grain free (two of the most common bully allergens) and everything has cleared but the tear stains and they are fading fast. His eyes have stopped watering, his :poo: firmed up, his ears and rope cleared up and the cysts are gone.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Welcome to EBN, so glad to hear you opted to adopt! I have alot of experience with allergies and a paw licking bully unfortunately. You may want to try a different food, Fromm and Natures Variety Instinct are very popular choices with owners here that have allergy prone bullies. I have tried both with my Samson, he did good on Fromm and is currently on the Natures Variety Instinct salmon formula. I had him on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Salmon in the past and he did good on that as well. While one food may work wonderful on one bully it may not work well on another so you may have to experiment a bit more. I know here in so cal we have had a particularly high pollen count lately so if that is the case where you are in CA I would suggest giving him some benadryl. I have also found adding salmon oil to Samson's food helps alot. Don't be shy, please ask or share any concerns you have! And we love bully pictures, videos and stories ;)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Welcome to EBN... Glad you joined and will look forward to seeing pix of Bently. Food allergy elimination takes a long time as you need to give each selection time to work. Be patient and I'm sure you will find a solution. Benedryl at 1 capsule per 25 pounds will help a lot with the seasonal allergies that this time of year brings on. Good luck. :)

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Welcome to EBN!! I'm not familiar with that food so can't offer much in the way of advice. We would love to see photos of your baby!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome bullylvr, very glad you joined us! Looking forward to more stories and of course pix!

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Welcome! I rescued/adopted my bully, Katie, too.. it is an awesome thing to do! She also has the paw licking problem. She was on Pet Smart's Authority brand, but i am in the process of switching her to Fromm's Pork & Applesauce. I hope it helps, and I hope you find the answer to Bentley's paw licking as well!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online