gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
He has not received all of his shots, He has received two sets and just went for his well check last Thursday. I do not let him touch the grass or interact with anyone and he isn't around any dogs until he is fully vaccinated. I have a wagon and pee pads and that's how he goes when he needs too. I was under the impression that he couldn't go on the ground until fully vaccinated but I thought him being outside was still ok, I'm I wrong? I hope I haven't been putting him at risk for anything, not knowing.

What I was told, by my vet, was anything in our backyard is OK. No grass or anywhere a puppy may come in contact with any feces from other dogs. He said take them for walks on the sidewalk. I think Parvo is the main concern. If you are going to change dog foods, brands, proteins etc., make sure you transition between the foods over a few days to prevent diarrhea. Welcome to EBN.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Welcome to you and adorable Diesel! I was a first time EBD Owner when I joined here almost 6 years ago with Joey. This is a great group of experienced folks so ask for help anytime!

I canā€™t help with the spoiling part since Joey is the center of the universe for me LOL. That part only grows and grows

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
JessicaK11

JessicaK11

Mar 3, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I wanted to ask and see if any others had problems with this while they were so young.... any other male babies start humping already? I read on google they shouldn't be this young because they aren't mature enough to do it and it could be other things but I swear diesel knows what he is doing and he does it too my kids a lot when they get on the floor and try to play with him. I do know that he has already marked in several areas...probably smells the previous dogs and that is normal behavior for a male just didn't realize it started so young.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I wanted to ask and see if any others had problems with this while they were so young.... any other male babies start humping already? I read on google they shouldn't be this young because they aren't mature enough to do it and it could be other things but I swear diesel knows what he is doing and he does it too my kids a lot when they get on the floor and try to play with him. I do know that he has already marked in several areas...probably smells the previous dogs and that is normal behavior for a male just didn't realize it started so young.

age really isnā€™t relevant, it is instinct. Train them to not do this, use the word off or no and redirect him

OP
JessicaK11

JessicaK11

Mar 3, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Thank y'all so much. Another thing ( yes sorry I have lots of questions and my husband says I worry way too much about everything when it comes to Diesel lol) But I ended up switching his food from blue buffalo to acana puppy and junior formula grain-free dry puppy food and he ate a lot of it at first and seemed to love it and now he just picks at his bowl and never finishes a full one anymore. Should i add anything to the top of it for him to enjoy it more or is it more filling to him since it has more protein? IM just worried, and he goes to the vet today for some more shots so hopefully he has gained some weight from last week. I just switched him on Monday though. Any advice I would appreciate it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank y'all so much. Another thing ( yes sorry I have lots of questions and my husband says I worry way too much about everything when it comes to Diesel lol) But I ended up switching his food from blue buffalo to acana puppy and junior formula grain-free dry puppy food and he ate a lot of it at first and seemed to love it and now he just picks at his bowl and never finishes a full one anymore. Should i add anything to the top of it for him to enjoy it more or is it more filling to him since it has more protein? IM just worried, and he goes to the vet today for some more shots so hopefully he has gained some weight from last week. I just switched him on Monday though. Any advice I would appreciate it.

How much are you feeding? Per meal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A

With the better quality food, you give less. I read the bag wrong when I first brought Shirley home, it states 2 cups per serving. Well to me a serving was a meal. What they really mean is serving=a day. It's so amazing to me to look at my 56.8lb Shirley knowing she only gets 2 cups of food a day and is healthy and in perfect body condition, maybe even a tad bit on the chunky side. You have to ration their food properly or it can cause serious health issues even possibly death. They're extremely susceptible to getting bloat.

OP
JessicaK11

JessicaK11

Mar 3, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I read the side of the bag and was giving not as much as it said but I was still giving a cup. I used the medium breed section and Diesel is 11 pounds so it says he should be getting 1 1/2 cups but since he wasn't eating all of it I gave 1 cup 3 times a day and he doesnt ever finish a bowl and doesnt eat it all like he did with the blue buffalo. He picks at it all day. With the blue buffalo he would eat it all as soon as i fed him but I wasn't giving him that much at all. I just don't want him to starve and I don't want to over feed him either. Surly he likes the food and will eat it when he is hungry. I thought about maybe getting some raw organs and topping it as well for a probiotic. I will ask the vet but during his first visit I felt like they didn't know too much about this breed and was just giving me normal information for any dog when I asked questions. Plus this covid crap still going on, I had to wait outside when they took him and I didn't like that at all. She mentioned about his breathing and I said y'all just took him from me and he just rode in the car so IM sure he was scared. She said when he calmed down his breathing was better and should could hear it pass through fine.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I read the side of the bag and was giving not as much as it said but I was still giving a cup. I used the medium breed section and Diesel is 11 pounds so it says he should be getting 1 1/2 cups but since he wasn't eating all of it I gave 1 cup 3 times a day and he doesnt ever finish a bowl and doesnt eat it all like he did with the blue buffalo. He picks at it all day. With the blue buffalo he would eat it all as soon as i fed him but I wasn't giving him that much at all. I just don't want him to starve and I don't want to over feed him either. Surly he likes the food and will eat it when he is hungry. I thought about maybe getting some raw organs and topping it as well for a probiotic. I will ask the vet but during his first visit I felt like they didn't know too much about this breed and was just giving me normal information for any dog when I asked questions. Plus this covid crap still going on, I had to wait outside when they took him and I didn't like that at all. She mentioned about his breathing and I said y'all just took him from me and he just rode in the car so IM sure he was scared. She said when he calmed down his breathing was better and should could hear it pass through fine.

Youā€™ll want to find a vet that is bulldog knowledgeable, some things are very specific to the breed and important the vet has the experience. they most like will tell you donā€™t feed raw.... they arenā€™t taught about it and tend to push the food they sell in their office and they get kick backs on.

This is a good article food feeding... has a great feeding guide. English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

Member recommended vets, maybe one is near you

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
How much, like @2BullyMama said, and what is his current weight? I have never had a bulldog that did not finish all of their food like they are starving to death but there has to be some grazers out there.

Mechadogzilla

Nov 15, 2020
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo(English Bulldog) and Hans(Rottweiler)
Congratulations on your new family member. I will be picking my first English Bulldog puppy in a couple of weeks. I have found that Whole Dog Journal publishes a fairly comprehensive guide to dog foods, but I believe that it is behind a paywall. I plan to use the same probiotic (not the Purina one) that I use with my Rottie and would like to echo previous comments about changing food gradually. I look forward to hearing more about Dieselā€™s successes as well as successes and tips from all members here on this board.

OP
JessicaK11

JessicaK11

Mar 3, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
He went to the vet for his boosters yesterday and weighed 13.8 pounds. I gave him 2/3 of a cup this morning to see how he did with that. The bag says 1 1/2 cups for 11 pounds on the side. How much should i be giving him. Its acana puppy formula. I don't want to give him too much and I don't want to give him too less. Thank y'all so much, and I appreciate the help.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.