Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    N/A
    Bulldog(s) Names
    N/A
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello, First time owner of a EBD

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaK11 View Post
    Thank y'all so much. Another thing ( yes sorry I have lots of questions and my husband says I worry way too much about everything when it comes to Diesel lol) But I ended up switching his food from blue buffalo to acana puppy and junior formula grain-free dry puppy food and he ate a lot of it at first and seemed to love it and now he just picks at his bowl and never finishes a full one anymore. Should i add anything to the top of it for him to enjoy it more or is it more filling to him since it has more protein? IM just worried, and he goes to the vet today for some more shots so hopefully he has gained some weight from last week. I just switched him on Monday though. Any advice I would appreciate it.
    With the better quality food, you give less. I read the bag wrong when I first brought Shirley home, it states 2 cups per serving. Well to me a serving was a meal. What they really mean is serving=a day. It's so amazing to me to look at my 56.8lb Shirley knowing she only gets 2 cups of food a day and is healthy and in perfect body condition, maybe even a tad bit on the chunky side. You have to ration their food properly or it can cause serious health issues even possibly death. They're extremely susceptible to getting bloat.

2. Likes 2BullyMama, JessicaK11 liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

I read the side of the bag and was giving not as much as it said but I was still giving a cup. I used the medium breed section and Diesel is 11 pounds so it says he should be getting 1 1/2 cups but since he wasn't eating all of it I gave 1 cup 3 times a day and he doesnt ever finish a bowl and doesnt eat it all like he did with the blue buffalo. He picks at it all day. With the blue buffalo he would eat it all as soon as i fed him but I wasn't giving him that much at all. I just don't want him to starve and I don't want to over feed him either. Surly he likes the food and will eat it when he is hungry. I thought about maybe getting some raw organs and topping it as well for a probiotic. I will ask the vet but during his first visit I felt like they didn't know too much about this breed and was just giving me normal information for any dog when I asked questions. Plus this covid crap still going on, I had to wait outside when they took him and I didn't like that at all. She mentioned about his breathing and I said y'all just took him from me and he just rode in the car so IM sure he was scared. She said when he calmed down his breathing was better and should could hear it pass through fine.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I read the side of the bag and was giving not as much as it said but I was still giving a cup. I used the medium breed section and Diesel is 11 pounds so it says he should be getting 1 1/2 cups but since he wasn't eating all of it I gave 1 cup 3 times a day and he doesnt ever finish a bowl and doesnt eat it all like he did with the blue buffalo. He picks at it all day. With the blue buffalo he would eat it all as soon as i fed him but I wasn't giving him that much at all. I just don't want him to starve and I don't want to over feed him either. Surly he likes the food and will eat it when he is hungry. I thought about maybe getting some raw organs and topping it as well for a probiotic. I will ask the vet but during his first visit I felt like they didn't know too much about this breed and was just giving me normal information for any dog when I asked questions. Plus this covid crap still going on, I had to wait outside when they took him and I didn't like that at all. She mentioned about his breathing and I said y'all just took him from me and he just rode in the car so IM sure he was scared. She said when he calmed down his breathing was better and should could hear it pass through fine.
    Youíll want to find a vet that is bulldog knowledgeable, some things are very specific to the breed and important the vet has the experience. they most like will tell you donít feed raw.... they arenít taught about it and tend to push the food they sell in their office and they get kick backs on.

This is a good article food feeding... has a great feeding guide. English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

Member recommended vets, maybe one is near you

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

5. Likes JessicaK11, Mechadogzilla liked this post
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mila and Bruno
    Likes (Received)

Thank y'all so much. Another thing ( yes sorry I have lots of questions and my husband says I worry way too much about everything when it comes to Diesel lol) But I ended up switching his food from blue buffalo to acana puppy and junior formula grain-free dry puppy food and he ate a lot of it at first and seemed to love it and now he just picks at his bowl and never finishes a full one anymore. Should i add anything to the top of it for him to enjoy it more or is it more filling to him since it has more protein? IM just worried, and he goes to the vet today for some more shots so hopefully he has gained some weight from last week. I just switched him on Monday though. Any advice I would appreciate it.
    How much, like @2BullyMama said, and what is his current weight? I have never had a bulldog that did not finish all of their food like they are starving to death but there has to be some grazers out there.

7. Likes 2BullyMama, JessicaK11 liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hugo(English Bulldog) and Hans(Rottweiler)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on your new family member. I will be picking my first English Bulldog puppy in a couple of weeks. I have found that Whole Dog Journal publishes a fairly comprehensive guide to dog foods, but I believe that it is behind a paywall. I plan to use the same probiotic (not the Purina one) that I use with my Rottie and would like to echo previous comments about changing food gradually. I look forward to hearing more about Diesel’s successes as well as successes and tips from all members here on this board.

9. Likes 2BullyMama, JessicaK11 liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

He went to the vet for his boosters yesterday and weighed 13.8 pounds. I gave him 2/3 of a cup this morning to see how he did with that. The bag says 1 1/2 cups for 11 pounds on the side. How much should i be giving him. Its acana puppy formula. I don't want to give him too much and I don't want to give him too less. Thank y'all so much, and I appreciate the help.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

He went to the vet for his boosters yesterday and weighed 13.8 pounds. I gave him 2/3 of a cup this morning to see how he did with that. The bag says 1 1/2 cups for 11 pounds on the side. How much should i be giving him. Its acana puppy formula. I don't want to give him too much and I don't want to give him too less. Thank y'all so much, and I appreciate the help.
    Look at the article link I posted in previous response... there is a feeding guide that will help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    e.

12. Likes JessicaK11 liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much 2BullyMama, I really do appreciate it. Y'all are great at the quick responses and I feel like I will be annoying at times asking so many questions even when I have read every article over and over. This forum is the best and has been the most helpful ever.

14. Likes Shirley Wigglebutt, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    N/A
    Bulldog(s) Names
    N/A
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much 2BullyMama, I really do appreciate it. Y'all are great at the quick responses and I feel like I will be annoying at times asking so many questions even when I have read every article over and over. This forum is the best and has been the most helpful ever.

Totally agree! And yes, I've even felt like I was being a nuisance at first, but everyone here is very kind and patient (they're bully parents after all, gotta be extremely patient lol) I've learned tons here and did a ton of breed research before submitting my adoption application. So glad I got my Shirley Wigglebutt even though she wasn't even on my list of dogs they had I was interested in. The rescue matched us and its been a very fulfilling experience for me. My research was like basics for the breed, it's a whole new world actually "talking" to people who have experienced way more than what websites will tell you.

16. Likes 2BullyMama, JessicaK11 liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Never stop asking... weíre all here to help and give different perspective of what does or doesnít work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    e.

18. Likes JessicaK11, Shirley Wigglebutt liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel
    Likes (Received)

I switched to just a 1/2 cup 3 times a day and he eats it all now. Thank y'all so much, I feel relieved now and not worried that something was wrong or he wasn't liking this new food. I appreciate it.

20. Likes Shirley Wigglebutt, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mila and Bruno
    Likes (Received)

I switched to just a 1/2 cup 3 times a day and he eats it all now. Thank y'all so much, I feel relieved now and not worried that something was wrong or he wasn't liking this new food. I appreciate it.
    One other thought. All dogs are different. Feel the ribs. If they are too pronounced you are under feeding, if they only have one big rib you are over feeding. This is the main thing we do to keep Crazy and Bruno at a healthy weight. Small adjustments, especially with puppies, can make a big difference.

22. Likes JessicaK11, Cbrugs, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads