Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needing advice or reassurance.

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Default Newbie needing advice or reassurance.

Hello to everyone

I’m Kelly and the very proud owner of Duchess, a 6 year old (although you would never think it) rescue bulldog. We have had her a month now and she’s just great. She has a good background but was handed in as her owner was taken into hospital and no one else could have her.

She’s nice and settled and in great condition. My only worry is what I feed her. She eats it fine and enjoys it but just want to do what’s best. She has a watery left eye and I think this maybe her food? Going to get it checked incase it’s her lashes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will be bothering you all for advice on leaving her too as we will all end up back at work at some point but luckily it won’t be long periods.

She has the freedom of the house but is not to keen on upstairs and doesn’t really settle up there. If we leave the room and she’s alone the crafty moo barks lol. We are thinking when we start leaving her to do it in short periods to start and put her in the kitchen ( it’s a big kitchen).

Thanks in advance lovelies ❤️❤️

Duchess visited the vets and it turns out she has lashes growing from her oil ducts!! All removed and eye drops. A week later and much improved xx
    Last edited by Glanders; Yesterday at 01:51 PM. Reason: Update

2. Likes tigertanktoo liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Newbie needing advice or reassurance.

Thank you for rescuing Duchess! She is a lucky dog! You didn't mention WHAT you feed her, so Can not comment on that. Having her eye checked is a good idea. Good idea to leave her a little at a time. Oh, and to EBN!
    "
    It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

4. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Wrinkle Wiper
    Real Name
    Lynne
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Shirley WiggleButt
    Likes (Received)

I recently adopted my first EBD rescue January 4th. She's 6 turning 7 April 27th. I kept her on the food the rescue had her on Zignature catfish flavor. Shirley Wigglebutt went through so many massive changes in such a short period of time, last thing I wanted to do is mess with or change her food and disrupt her digestive system. It's pretty expensive at $54.00 for 25lb bag but she's worth it! I'm still a newbie too and have received great and wonderful friendly advice here no matter how silly I thought my questions were.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Castor says hi to Duchess!

Castor eats a British dry dog food called Canagan which we are very happy with. He used to have a sensitive tummy and sometimes some redness to the skin, etc. but Canagan has been great (even though he was on good brands like Acana before). He started out with Canagan country game but has since transitioned to their senior kibble called Light/Senior.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glanders View Post
    Hello to everyone

I’m Kelly and the very proud owner of Duchess, a 6 year old (although you would never think it) rescue bulldog. We have had her a month now and she’s just great. She has a good background but was handed in as her owner was taken into hospital and no one else could have her.

She’s nice and settled and in great condition. My only worry is what I feed her. She eats it fine and enjoys it but just want to do what’s best. She has a watery left eye and I think this maybe her food? Going to get it checked incase it’s her lashes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will be bothering you all for advice on leaving her too as we will all end up back at work at some point but luckily it won’t be long periods.

She has the freedom of the house but is not to keen on upstairs and doesn’t really settle up there. If we leave the room and she’s alone the crafty moo barks lol. We are thinking when we start leaving her to do it in short periods to start and put her in the kitchen ( it’s a big kitchen).

Thanks in advance lovelies ❤️❤️

WELCOME!!!!!

What do you feed her? If it’s kibbles, in UK you can find Acana. It’s a high quality kibble. Stick to the one single protein bags. Rotate after each bag to another protein. Monitor if any allergies.

https://www.acanapetfoods.co.uk/

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Wigglebutt View Post
    I recently adopted my first EBD rescue January 4th. She's 6 turning 7 April 27th. I kept her on the food the rescue had her on Zignature catfish flavor. Shirley Wigglebutt went through so many massive changes in such a short period of time, last thing I wanted to do is mess with or change her food and disrupt her digestive system. It's pretty expensive at $54.00 for 25lb bag but she's worth it! I'm still a newbie too and have received great and wonderful friendly advice here no matter how silly I thought my questions were.
    With the seemingly more expensive foods like Acana, Zignature etc, I have found because you don't have to feed as much (no fillers) it really works out not that expensive at all. Just taking into account price only, it is a false economy to feed a cheaper food as you have to feed more to satisfy their appetite. We won't even get into the issue of quality! You are feeding her a good food and as you say, she is well worth it!

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mila and Bruno
    Likes (Received)

Welcome!! At 6 years old, after the vet visit, I would lean towards just making sure to keep the folds clean vs any kind of surgery for a runny eye.
    Pictures please.

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

-4e347065-77ca-4c5d-9c55-aab5a9ad420b-jpeg

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

What a plonker I am ����*♀️ I feed her Burns grain free biscuits and Forthglade wet food, only a quarter of wet per meal.

Wrinkle Wiper
    Real Name
    Lynne
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Shirley WiggleButt
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    With the seemingly more expensive foods like Acana, Zignature etc, I have found because you don't have to feed as much (no fillers) it really works out not that expensive at all. Just taking into account price only, it is a false economy to feed a cheaper food as you have to feed more to satisfy their appetite. We won't even get into the issue of quality! You are feeding her a good food and as you say, she is well worth it!
    The cost isn't an issue for me but I definitely wasn't expecting $54.00 for 25lb bag, so I'm honest in telling others so they don't have the shock I did especially being a first time EBD parent. Just giving a heads up basically on the cost for Zignature. A bag lasts me the better part of a month, so yeah if you weigh out cost vs how long it lasts, it evens out and in the long run isn't all that expensive to feed good and great quality food to our babies. Just an initial shock when first buying. The feeding instructions aren't very clear, what they really mean on the bag by serving size is daily feeding, not a single feeding, found that out the hard way lol! To me a serving is an individual meal.

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

ZIGNATURE is a great food... that is what I give my crew in the morning, but they get the pork. I think depending on the protein that you choose is the varying prices... I wouldn't change her food right now since she's used to it. The eye needs to be evaluated by a good bully vet... Walter has a continuous watery eye, and it's because of environmental allergies. I clean his fold daily, and I give him a Xyzal at night when it's bad. He also gets Cytopoint injections to help w/his allergies... but daily care is really the trick w/the eyes.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

15. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels, 1Chumly liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glanders View Post
    What a plonker I am ����*♀️ I feed her Burns grain free biscuits and Forthglade wet food, only a quarter of wet per meal.
    Not sure what flavour your biscuit is but I’ve seen a few of their ingredients is potatoes. Potato can be an issue to some dogs. Also when you feed food from a can, never forget it has to be heated at an extreme high temperature to preserve it. Basically you lose more than 1/2 of nutrition. The price you’re paying would be the same if not less if you buy raw. You will eliminate so many allergies n other health issues. I’ve been to England a few times. You guys have fantastic butchers. Ask them if they sell dog food. Needs to be Balanced as in “ Ratio”. Meat, bones,organs, muscles, blood etc.. needs the ratio.. If you want to stick to kibbles simply add raw organs as a topper. Better than nothing.

-3e141218-e46d-464a-87e7-a8c70928eb9e-jpeg-b2318f2a-4890-4c6e-bf0b-53e4eddc5864-jpeg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads