Newbie needing advice or reassurance.

Glanders

Feb 22, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hello to everyone

Iā€™m Kelly and the very proud owner of Duchess, a 6 year old (although you would never think it) rescue bulldog. We have had her a month now and sheā€™s just great. She has a good background but was handed in as her owner was taken into hospital and no one else could have her.

Sheā€™s nice and settled and in great condition. My only worry is what I feed her. She eats it fine and enjoys it but just want to do whatā€™s best. She has a watery left eye and I think this maybe her food? Going to get it checked incase itā€™s her lashes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will be bothering you all for advice on leaving her too as we will all end up back at work at some point but luckily it wonā€™t be long periods.

She has the freedom of the house but is not to keen on upstairs and doesnā€™t really settle up there. If we leave the room and sheā€™s alone the crafty moo barks lol. We are thinking when we start leaving her to do it in short periods to start and put her in the kitchen ( itā€™s a big kitchen).

Thanks in advance lovelies ā¤ļøā¤ļø

Duchess visited the vets and it turns out she has lashes growing from her oil ducts!! All removed and eye drops. A week later and much improved xx

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thank you for rescuing Duchess! She is a lucky dog! You didn't mention WHAT you feed her, so Can not comment on that. Having her eye checked is a good idea. Good idea to leave her a little at a time. Oh, and :welcome2: to EBN!

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I recently adopted my first EBD rescue January 4th. She's 6 turning 7 April 27th. I kept her on the food the rescue had her on Zignature catfish flavor. Shirley Wigglebutt went through so many massive changes in such a short period of time, last thing I wanted to do is mess with or change her food and disrupt her digestive system. It's pretty expensive at $54.00 for 25lb bag but she's worth it! I'm still a newbie too and have received great and wonderful friendly advice here no matter how silly I thought my questions were.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor says hi to Duchess!

Castor eats a British dry dog food called Canagan which we are very happy with. He used to have a sensitive tummy and sometimes some redness to the skin, etc. but Canagan has been great (even though he was on good brands like Acana before). He started out with Canagan country game but has since transitioned to their senior kibble called Light/Senior.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello to everyone

Iā€™m Kelly and the very proud owner of Duchess, a 6 year old (although you would never think it) rescue bulldog. We have had her a month now and sheā€™s just great. She has a good background but was handed in as her owner was taken into hospital and no one else could have her.

Sheā€™s nice and settled and in great condition. My only worry is what I feed her. She eats it fine and enjoys it but just want to do whatā€™s best. She has a watery left eye and I think this maybe her food? Going to get it checked incase itā€™s her lashes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will be bothering you all for advice on leaving her too as we will all end up back at work at some point but luckily it wonā€™t be long periods.

She has the freedom of the house but is not to keen on upstairs and doesnā€™t really settle up there. If we leave the room and sheā€™s alone the crafty moo barks lol. We are thinking when we start leaving her to do it in short periods to start and put her in the kitchen ( itā€™s a big kitchen).

Thanks in advance lovelies ā¤ļøā¤ļø

WELCOME!!!!!

What do you feed her? If itā€™s kibbles, in UK you can find Acana. Itā€™s a high quality kibble. Stick to the one single protein bags. Rotate after each bag to another protein. Monitor if any allergies.

https://www.acanapetfoods.co.uk/

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I recently adopted my first EBD rescue January 4th. She's 6 turning 7 April 27th. I kept her on the food the rescue had her on Zignature catfish flavor. Shirley Wigglebutt went through so many massive changes in such a short period of time, last thing I wanted to do is mess with or change her food and disrupt her digestive system. It's pretty expensive at $54.00 for 25lb bag but she's worth it! I'm still a newbie too and have received great and wonderful friendly advice here no matter how silly I thought my questions were.

With the seemingly more expensive foods like Acana, Zignature etc, I have found because you don't have to feed as much (no fillers) it really works out not that expensive at all. Just taking into account price only, it is a false economy to feed a cheaper food as you have to feed more to satisfy their appetite. We won't even get into the issue of quality! You are feeding her a good food and as you say, she is well worth it!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Welcome!! At 6 years old, after the vet visit, I would lean towards just making sure to keep the folds clean vs any kind of surgery for a runny eye.
Pictures please.

OP
G

Glanders

Feb 22, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
4E347065-77CA-4C5D-9C55-AAB5A9AD420B.jpeg

OP
G

Glanders

Feb 22, 2021
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
What a plonker I am ����*ā™€ļø I feed her Burns grain free biscuits and Forthglade wet food, only a quarter of wet per meal.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
With the seemingly more expensive foods like Acana, Zignature etc, I have found because you don't have to feed as much (no fillers) it really works out not that expensive at all. Just taking into account price only, it is a false economy to feed a cheaper food as you have to feed more to satisfy their appetite. We won't even get into the issue of quality! You are feeding her a good food and as you say, she is well worth it!

The cost isn't an issue for me but I definitely wasn't expecting $54.00 for 25lb bag, so I'm honest in telling others so they don't have the shock I did especially being a first time EBD parent. Just giving a heads up basically on the cost for Zignature. A bag lasts me the better part of a month, so yeah if you weigh out cost vs how long it lasts, it evens out and in the long run isn't all that expensive to feed good and great quality food to our babies. Just an initial shock when first buying. The feeding instructions aren't very clear, what they really mean on the bag by serving size is daily feeding, not a single feeding, found that out the hard way lol! To me a serving is an individual meal.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
ZIGNATURE is a great food... that is what I give my crew in the morning, but they get the pork. I think depending on the protein that you choose is the varying prices... I wouldn't change her food right now since she's used to it. The eye needs to be evaluated by a good bully vet... Walter has a continuous watery eye, and it's because of environmental allergies. I clean his fold daily, and I give him a Xyzal at night when it's bad. He also gets Cytopoint injections to help w/his allergies... but daily care is really the trick w/the eyes.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What a plonker I am ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½*ā™€ļø I feed her Burns grain free biscuits and Forthglade wet food, only a quarter of wet per meal.

Not sure what flavour your biscuit is but Iā€™ve seen a few of their ingredients is potatoes. Potato can be an issue to some dogs. Also when you feed food from a can, never forget it has to be heated at an extreme high temperature to preserve it. Basically you lose more than 1/2 of nutrition. The price youā€™re paying would be the same if not less if you buy raw. You will eliminate so many allergies n other health issues. Iā€™ve been to England a few times. You guys have fantastic butchers. Ask them if they sell dog food. Needs to be Balanced as in ā€œ Ratioā€. Meat, bones,organs, muscles, blood etc.. needs the ratio.. If you want to stick to kibbles simply add raw organs as a topper. Better than nothing.

3E141218-E46D-464A-87E7-A8C70928EB9E.jpegB2318F2A-4890-4C6E-BF0B-53E4EDDC5864.jpeg

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
The cost isn't an issue for me but I definitely wasn't expecting $54.00 for 25lb bag, so I'm honest in telling others so they don't have the shock I did especially being a first time EBD parent. Just giving a heads up basically on the cost for Zignature. A bag lasts me the better part of a month, so yeah if you weigh out cost vs how long it lasts, it evens out and in the long run isn't all that expensive to feed good and great quality food to our babies. Just an initial shock when first buying. The feeding instructions aren't very clear, what they really mean on the bag by serving size is daily feeding, not a single feeding, found that out the hard way lol! To me a serving is an individual meal.

Yeah, you have to watch out for those serving sizes (and what they recommend especially!!) A bag of Zignature lasts me 6 - 7 weeks and that is for two dogs. Buster who weighs 65 lbs and my 25 lb Dachshund. I have to watch their weight closely as they both tend to pack on the lbs if I am not careful. Buster gets 2/3 cup twice a day and the doxie 1/3 cup twice a day. I also give them both a good helping of frozen green beans and carrots as a topper and the odd chicken livers. Plus of course, treats for being good boys! As @ddene says, the cost varies with the protein. Mine have been on Salmon for quite a while but I have just bought Duck as the fish breath was not fun!

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Yeah, you have to watch out for those serving sizes (and what they recommend especially!!) A bag of Zignature lasts me 6 - 7 weeks and that is for two dogs. Buster who weighs 65 lbs and my 25 lb Dachshund. I have to watch their weight closely as they both tend to pack on the lbs if I am not careful. Buster gets 2/3 cup twice a day and the doxie 1/3 cup twice a day. I also give them both a good helping of frozen green beans and carrots as a topper and the odd chicken livers. Plus of course, treats for being good boys! As @ddene says, the cost varies with the protein. Mine have been on Salmon for quite a while but I have just bought Duck as the fish breath was not fun!

The bag says 2 cups per serving.... to me a serving is a meal. Uhhh you know what I did.... Shirley gained over 5 lbs in 1 week! She was already hefty for a female at 51.6 lbs. I weigh her every time we go to petsmart. So when the small bag the rescue sent home with us was gone and I went and bought the big bag, I asked and was set straight that a serving is for daily, not per meal. So I cut her to the 1 cup twice a day and she did get back to 51.8 lbs. she has grooming appt for Monday so will see how she's maintaining.
Fish breath isn't the worst part... it's the farts and poop!!! OMG Shirley was gassy and I had to roll windows down in the car 3 times just to get to town last time we went to town (20 minute drive)!!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=20037]Shirley Wigglebutt[/MENTION] If you have an appointment for grooming at Petsmart, please don't leave her alone there, or take her somewhere else. There have been several dog deaths grooming's at PetSmart(which they never acknowledge!)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.