Morning!

Pperrin

Apr 18, 2011
St. Catharines Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hey all, Paul here, a new bullie owner (and yes, a very happy one). We just rescued an 11 month old bull and although he has some behavior issues right now he is a love machine!
As I go through the countless pages of how to care for your bulldog I am finding a lot of conflicting information. I starting going through the forums here and it seems that the members here are really on the same page with a lot of topics. I will continue going through the forums but I was wondering a couple things.
1.) Dozer, our bullie, passes the most nauseating gas lol is there any food in particular that anyone can recommend to help this issue.
2.) I have been reading a lot about the (red)eye problems for bulldogs (ours has one eye that is very red) but this seems to be fairly normal for the breed, any cause for alarm on this?
3.) Washing, some say often others say rarely.. confused here

Thanks in advance!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome to the site first off and we LOVE pics as you probably have guessed since you have been looking thru for a bit. As for your questions... Gas is a bully trait. It gets better or worse depending on the food you feed and how it agrees with your pup. Also treats can factor in with that as well. As far as the res eye not sure what you mean, cherry eye? Cutty doesnt have any eye problems so I am not any help there but they do tend to have cherry eye which may need surgery or entropian where the eyelashes are rubbing on the eye itself and irritating. That can be fixed with surgery also BUT it can also be caused by allergy sometimes of food. I am no expert on any of this but we do have others on here with experience in all areas. Maybe get a pic of his eye so others can give better input. What food do you feed if I may ask? As for washing like a bath I would say no more often than 1 a week or maybe every other week but possibly every month at least? It depends on your pup, you know when they need bathed. I would use baby shampoo if you arent using a special type because it is sensitive enough for bullies. If you mean cleaning as in face then I say everyday to begin and you would get to know if your bully can go every other day or what by trial and error. Everyday to start for sure tho.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome..And congrats on a rescue! Yes..gas seems to come with the bully!I am a newer owner so I don't have experience with eye issues. You will get great advice here tho!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Welcome Paul...... glad you rescued a pup in need. Would love to see pix of Dozer and it may help with your eye question. Gas AND eye redness MAY be related and somewhat ARE related in many cases but again, we need to see the eyes and what you are questioning. Diet is sooooooooo important with this breed, with all the potential for allergies that it takes some experimentation to find the right one. An aid in this is to use reputable suppliers that will take a food back if it doesn't work for Dozer... yes, many will. That way you aren't out a lot of $ if Dozer doesn't improve with a certain food. You need to buy a big enough bag to give it a fair chance but don't buy the giant sized bags right away. It could take trying a few different foods before you hit on the right one for Dozer. Dozer probably needs washing more because of the yeast being produced by the wrong food as well. Keep him squeaky clean and you will find a comfort zone for what he requires. Thanx for rescuing him. I'll just sit here now and wait fo the pix..... LOL

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome!!! Cannot wait to hear more about your bully :up: you must tell us the story about how you became furmates!

Ever since I switched to Fromm my bullies have no gas. I do not give any treats except frozen veggies and fruits.

For the eye, if it is just red and bloodshot looking try eyewash (for humans). I just started using this because of spring and couple of my bullies are gooey eyed in the morning. It is working wonders on the redness!

Bathing I do about every two weeks. Sometimes 3 if i cannot get to it. Summer is usually more often than winter. A good way to tell is their coat starts to get tacky. It is not soft anymore. That's when I know baths are needed. A good diet will also help with smell, tear stains and bacteria. Wipe out the wrinkles everyday if needed. I use a malacetic ear and skin cleanser. I only need to do ears once a week or so but that is because they don't get build up or yeast in them. If there is yeast or bacteria you will need to do it daily until you see improvement. I use the same solution for that.

A lot will depend on your bullies needs. Adjust accordingly, but the more dedication you have with it the happier you both will be!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Cant wait to hear about how you got Dozer. and oh yeah Pics please. lol. Mine were really gassy on two of the foods I tried, but now that I switched to Fromm no gas. I also on feed fruits and veggies for treats.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome Paul and congratulations to you and Dozer. Food does make a big difference in gas but the worst smell of all is when the anal gland needs expressed. You got the info on eye drops from [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. We live in cold country as you do; our Bulldogs get bathed once a month in the spring/summer/early fall then before Christmas and not again until we have a 60 degree day in March or April. We brush them at least twice a week which helps keep their fur nice. We use a rubber brush that is sold at feed stores for use on pigs!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I think it is a type of curry comb??? I'll attatch a picture of the top. We got it at a feed store in the mid '90's but I'm sure they still sell them. 4-H kids use them on their pigs. Take a picture of my picture to a feed store.
@JAKEISGREAT it works well on short haired dogs!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hello and welcome to EBN! So glad to hear you rescued a bully! As for your questions, the better quality food you feed the less gas your bully should have. No matter what though all flat faced dog breeds like bullys, boston terriers, pugs, etc are all more prone to gas than other breeds because they inhale more air when they eat because of their face structure. Not sure what you mean by red eye. I am assuming you mean cherry eye which is when the eye gland pops out. I don't really have advice though on anything eye related because I have never dealt with it before. As for bathing, I give Samson a bath every other week unless he gets real dirty for some reason and needs a bath before that.

MissBailey

May 23, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Miss Bailey
Welcome to the group. And yes you will find some conflicting advice on this forum. Its trial and error with a bullie. Somethings are great for some and not for others. Keep in mind that some of the responses you are getting for food, ex(fromm) eye drops, can be for people promoting the brand because they are feed store owners or sell products. Which is not a bad thing at all. But it may not work for you are be available in your area. Keep the food as natural as you can. If you can find a Vet who knows bullies well is the best advice regarding health issues. Grooming a bullie is a given. My Ms Bailey requires her tail dock cleaned daily sometimes twice. she hates her eyes cleaned but the loves the ears cleaned. If she does smell it is usually from her skin folds. Than we wrestle lol. Good Luck you will find the right mix that works for you! Jan

OP
P

Pperrin

Apr 18, 2011
St. Catharines Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thanks for the welcome and the advice already posted :)
Here's a couple of pix of Dozer, I think he may have a little boxer in there somewhere, cause his build seems a bit different then the typical bulldog.
I love the brindle coloring, you can see the remains of the rug burn on his chin :( but it's nearly gone.

pperrin-albums-dozer-lap-dog-picture7052-2.jpg

pperrin-albums-dozer-lap-dog-picture7053-1.jpg

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Welcome! I have a little experience with all of your bullie questions! The gas for Sarge is better or worse depending on the food - because we do not have a store here where I can buy FROMM easily I use Nature Variety Instinct (NVI) and it seems to be helping ALOT and we've cut out some of the fatty treats (like Beggin Strips) and replaced with fruit/veggies/etc. The eye thing - if you are talking about bloodshot eyes, Sarge has these and the severity changes depending on the time of year (allergies), but by the end of the day his eyes are usually red. I am trying eye drops because I have a feeling they are dry due to his three cherry eye surgeries... Which leads us to the cherry eye - if you are talking about cherry eye, when we first got Sarge he had both cherry eyes show up at less than 6 months old. At the time the vet we were using suggested immediate surgery to prevent "damage from occuring" ... a botched surgery later, another to fix the botched eye and surgery on the other eye, and quite a few vet bills later I learn that really surgery is not necessary and can be managed with simple massages :bang: It definitely is a trial and error with bulldogs but I'm glad you are getting involved with a great forum this early on so that hopefully you can avoid some mistakes that others have made (especially me!!) And bathtime occurs whenever Sarge jumps into the bathtub (he loves baths) or he's been outside playing in the mud!

Dozer is SO CUTE!!! :luv:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.