lizzyvilla

May 3, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hello, my name is Liz. I have a 4 month old English Bulldog named Rocco. We've had him for 2 months now. Breeder had him on kibbles since the day we brought him home and as first time parents of course we continued his feeding with kibbles.

He will eat his kibbles okay. I introduced him to plain boiled chicken and rice twice and ever since, when he sees me in the kitchen, he will start barking wanting me to get him out of his crate. I have introduced bananas, peanut butter, watermelon and broccoli to him and he has loved it. I will only give it to him as treats though and not everyday.

I am needing guidance as far as what do you guys recommend for a daily feeding? I really would love to wean him off kibbles also because I am feeding him 2 cups twice a day he seems hungry all the time. Not sure if the kibbles is just not enough for him.

Any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Welcome to you and Rocco! I don't have any experience with puppies but someone who does will be along shortly, I am sure. We would love to see a photo!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello, my name is Liz. I have a 4 month old English Bulldog named Rocco. We've had him for 2 months now. Breeder had him on kibbles since the day we brought him home and as first time parents of course we continued his feeding with kibbles.

He will eat his kibbles okay. I introduced him to plain boiled chicken and rice twice and ever since, when he sees me in the kitchen, he will start barking wanting me to get him out of his crate. I have introduced bananas, peanut butter, watermelon and broccoli to him and he has loved it. I will only give it to him as treats though and not everyday.

I am needing guidance as far as what do you guys recommend for a daily feeding? I really would love to wean him off kibbles also because I am feeding him 2 cups twice a day he seems hungry all the time. Not sure if the kibbles is just not enough for him.

Thank you!

Hello n Welcome!!!

4 cups a day is a lot. From your profile you’re feeding him IAMS? If so definitely stop feeding that brand. Full of grains barely no protein. Why he’s wanting more. I feed my 2 a raw diets. If you can since he’s a pup go for raw. The food human you’re feeding him is great. Simply add more protein than veggies n fruit. If you want to keep feeding kibbles stick to Acana single protein bags. Start with Duck. Got to your grocery store and get liver beef heart. Chop up small pieces add to meals as toppers. Freeze your extra portions in little ziploc bags n thaw out for the day. A good 2 for each meals per day is fine. Check out the site as there are tons of great advice.

https://blog.homesalive.ca/how-much-raw-food-for-dogs

https://hare-today.com/raw_food_ratio_calculator

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hello n Welcome!!!

Got to your grocery store and get liver beef heart. Chop up small pieces add to meals as toppers. Freeze your extra portions in little ziploc bags n thaw out for the day. A good 2 for each meals per day is fine. Check out the site as there are tons of great advice.

What is liver beef heart? Liver is one organ, heart is a different organ, and beef just means from cows? Do you mean to add some liver and heart to muscle meat if she's feeding home cooked food? Because there would be no need to add organs to commercial frozen raw or to commercial dog kibble.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What is liver beef heart? Liver is one organ, heart is a different organ, and beef just means from cows? Do you mean to add some liver and heart to muscle meat if she's feeding home cooked food? Because there would be no need to add organs to commercial frozen raw or to commercial dog kibble.

Idk loll. Crap I meant liver, beef heart. Forgot the comma! You can buy chicken heart, beef heart, duck heart, pork heart......etc... And no I meant on top of either kibbles or the home cooked meals... Is that better?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Idk loll. Crap I meant liver, beef heart. Forgot the comma! You can buy chicken heart, beef heart, duck heart, pork heart......etc... And no I meant on top of either kibbles or the home cooked meals... Is that better?

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense now ! If you're home cooking you also need to add 800 to 1,000 mg calcium per pound of food (excluding non-starchy vegetables) if you're not feeding bones. You can use any form of plain calcium, such as calcium carbonate powder or eggshells ground to powder in a clean coffee grinder (1/2 teaspoon eggshell powder provides about 1,000 mg calcium)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thank you!

welcome to EBN..... if willing to go raw there are many options. What food are you currently feeding

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.